IGNORED

Servo brake failure

BobW03

Currently I see the console brake light flashing at 4HZ indicating only residual braking. The brake light in the rear also seems to be on full bright. The relay in the fuse block is clicking (opening/closing) at the same frequency as the dash light.

I had hyper-lites which are now disconnected, no change in symptoms.

Bike has sat since last June unused , occasionally started

Last year around April I added Galfer brake lines and flushed the system. Then towed the bike to Georgia and rode for 5 days with no issues.

I have the tank off and reseated the electronic connection to the servo unit, no corrosion seen.

I am not interested in removing the servo, etc as I have owned the bike for 10 years and never had an issue previously. I have also flushed the brake system several times duirng my ownership.

Squeezing the front brake lever does not engage the servo, no typical sound  of servo engaging.

The relay is blue and has 4 legs. All other relays have 3 legs so I cannot swap this relay with one of the others for testing.

I am not sure what next step should be; source a relay? 

Thank You

Bob

21 minutes ago, BobW03 said:

Currently I see the console brake light flashing at 4HZ indicating only residual braking. The brake light in the rear also seems to be on full bright. The relay in the fuse block is clicking (opening/closing) at the same frequency as the dash light.

I had hyper-lites which are now disconnected, no change in symptoms.

Bike has sat since last June unused , occasionally started

Last year around April I added Galfer brake lines and flushed the system. Then towed the bike to Georgia and rode for 5 days with no issues.

I have the tank off and reseated the electronic connection to the servo unit, no corrosion seen.

I am not interested in removing the servo, etc as I have owned the bike for 10 years and never had an issue previously. I have also flushed the brake system several times duirng my ownership.

Squeezing the front brake lever does not engage the servo, no typical sound  of servo engaging.

The relay is blue and has 4 legs. All other relays have 3 legs so I cannot swap this relay with one of the others for testing.

I am not sure what next step should be; source a relay? 

Thank You

Bob

Morning Bob

The relay clicking is ONLY for the flashing dash light, it serves no other function to the ABS system. So that seems normal. 

What is your other (general warning)  dash light doing as that could help us identify the problem.

Also verify that both lever & pedal brake switchs are working (clicking) correctly. Those switches are closed at rest  then go OPEN with lever or pedal apply.

With bike sitting for a while maybe the lever or pedal is sticking slightly therefore not allowing one of the switch's to go closed.

Hi DR, just went out to check the bike. Key off and listening carefully I can hear a click form each front brake lever and rear brake.

Key On, not started the brake failure flashes at 4 hz. The Triangle lights up briefly then off.

I do not have the gas tank on currently so cannot start the bike. Do I need the bike running for more diagnosis?

Thank You

13 minutes ago, BobW03 said:

Hi DR, just went out to check the bike. Key off and listening carefully I can hear a click form each front brake lever and rear brake.

Key On, not started the brake failure flashes at 4 hz. The Triangle lights up briefly then off.

I do not have the gas tank on currently so cannot start the bike. Do I need the bike running for more diagnosis?

Thank You

Afternoon Bob

Are you sure the light is flashing at 4 hz?

If the light is flashing at 1hz  and the general warning light is (OFF) then that is also normal as the bike needs to roll a few feet to do it's ride-away test & turn the light out.

Maybe try putting the tank back on then riding it a short ways to see if the flashing light will go out.

Or, possibly with some help just turn the key (on) then push the bike a  short ways to see if the light will go out. (I haven't ever tried it myself but it might work).

Or, if you can spin both wheels at about the same speed with key on then that 'might' also allow the ride-away test to complete.

Thanks, I will do that later today, my shift ends at 6:00 and I will update later tonight.

I should hear the servo(wizzy) with engine on and pull on front lever, correct?

9 minutes ago, BobW03 said:

Thanks, I will do that later today, my shift ends at 6:00 and I will update later tonight.

I should hear the servo(wizzy) with engine on and pull on front lever, correct?

Afternoon Bob

Normally, yes. If battery is charged enough.

With brake light ON & no servo from front lever that (might)  point to an open in the front brake switch circuit.

Make sure that the front switch is plugged in & (IF) you have removed the big harness connector at the the ABS module then  make sure that you don't have a bent terminal or pushed back terminal at the connector.

If you know someone with a GS-911 then that  can make it a LOT easier as that should show basic switch & system failures as  stored codes.

"Normally, yes. If battery is charged enough"

Bike sat for 9 months.

Are you certain the battery is functioning properly?

Best wishes.

Well, I decided to get a new odyssey battery and installed it. Everything is back to normal, wizzy brake sound when pulling on front lever, rear brake. Dash lights are proper.

I had  a BMW battery that came in the 2011 but had a code 0f 0812 , not sure if that really is a date code or not? And an odyssey battery with date code of 1014 which was originally in the 03. I had swapped battery from the 03 to the 11 some time last year.

Either of those will start the 2011 fine, but the 03 would start but give problems with the brake system.

SInce I am selling the bike and have a buyer who was willing to give me a check before I fixed the issue, I had to do the right thing and get a good battery. Plus he lives in the next town over from me :grin:

I did last year also upgrade the alternator with a better voltage regulator from Euro MotoElectric based on a thread about AGM battery and needing 14.5 volts. 

I do have a battery minder charger/desulfator which may have been able to keep the battery charged temporarily but not enough for my 03

Thanks again to DR for his patience with my missed diagnosis

• Like 1