Speeeedo question on old KRS

wedgeman

Got pegged by the county's finest a feew days ago. Have been having an issue with my Kbike speedo (1992 KRS100).. needle bounces up & down covering about 15-20mph all the time, while I'm at speed (say, around 60mph)...

Officer says I've got 4 weeks to show proof of repair and they'll drop the ticket ($80 fine, 2pts). Which I'm most happy to do..

Problem is, I dunno which parts to start with. Anyhelp?

my first thought was the speedo.. my trip odo is having problems already, but that's probably unrelated..

Cable? Speedo? Sending unit?

thx!

Cable? Speedo? Sending unit?

thx!

Cable? What cable? If it is anything like the earlier K100, the thing is electronic.

If this is the case, remove the sender at the rear, and carefully THOROUGHLY clean the inside part of it to remove any hint of steel particles stuck to the magnet.

Then work your way along the wire to the connector, and unplug and clean it. Put a dab of vaseline on the contacts (NOT grease!) and reconnect it.

Similarly, remove and clean the connections to your speedo module.

This usually fixes these problems with the K100 series, and probably will for you too.

Bob.

Paul Mihalka

What I would do: Pull the sending unit in the rear drive and clean it with brakeclean. Other than that the senders or work or not. I have not seen a intermittent one. Next step take out the speedometer and clean all the connections. First the multi-plug that connects the instrument housing to the bike harness. Next open the cluster and unplug/clean/replug all the connections to the speedometer. If all this did not work more than likely tou need a new speedometer. Problem you may have that if you fixed it just by cleaning the connections, you have no proof of repair for the judge.

Got pegged by the county's finest a feew days ago. Have been having an issue with my Kbike speedo (1992 KRS100).. needle bounces up & down covering about 15-20mph all the time, while I'm at speed (say, around 60mph)...

Hey David,

Why weren't you on your Oilhead? smile.gif

You can test your circuits in the garage. Put any 60cycle transformer (like a Weller Gun style soldering iron, high intensity lamp, etc) right up against the pickup in the final drive. Turn on the ignition and you should see about 45MPH on the speedometer. It should be rock steady too. If it jumps around, it's probably a connection 'inside' the speedo.

HTH,

Mick

Dennis Andress

On the other hand, these guys: Palo Alto Speedometer were (are?) the recognized experts on the old airhead speedos. The early brick equipment has been around a long time and I'll bet they've picked up some skills with it too.

MrHondamatic

My K75 had speedometer trouble when it was very new. It just stopped working once in a while. The dealer went to the pickup, cleaned everything, then painted part of the pickup (I don't remember which part) with silver paint. The extra metal in the paint helped the signal. It worked fine after that.

Officer says I've got 4 weeks to show proof of repair and they'll drop the ticket

Would not this require a paper trail of sorts starting with a document that shows the speedo was faulty and ending with a document that the speedo was repaired or replaced?

Would not this require a paper trail of sorts starting with a document that shows the speedo was faulty and ending with a document that the speedo was repaired or replaced?

yeahbut... you're from Kalifornistan, not the south.... He says "just bring in a receipt of what you bought, if you're gonna put it on yourself, and ask any of the officers at the traffic office to look up my tickket--they'll sign off on it, and that's all we'll need."

Extra nice officer.. It kinda was convenient that he pulle me over in a gas station parking lot.. and it also helped that halfway thru our little conversation, a taxi driver pulled up in front of us, dropped his likker bottle out on the ground while climbing OUT of the taxi, then came back out of the store with another one (open) in hand. Darn aweful timing, it was... tongue.giftongue.gifthumbsup.gif Mr PoPo was really short on time after that.... clap.gif

so....

Anybody got a speedo set (used?) that they'll sell? I'm thinking I can buy a speedo assembly, and if it's not that it's going to be a connection issue... One way or the other I should be able to get it licked pretty fast that way...

Dennis Andress

Try the parts for sale list at imbwr.org. Search for the name "Joshua Buck", he runs a respectable used parts business in Anaheim, Ca (yes, it's on the wrong coast) and has always had what I needed.

As it is an electronic speedo a faulty connection would normally give you a working or not working condition that may change when the wiring is disturmbed or moved by vibration, it is unusual to get the fault you have. When you remove the speedo sender check that the castellated ring that it gets its signal from has not come loose from the gear wheel in the rear drive unit, its certainly not unknown and would give an erratic signal. If you get a steady reading with the method described by BMWMICK ( also in detail on the IBMWR.ORG site) above then this is the most likely cause. regards Dave

Try the parts for sale list at imbwr.org.

thx for the note.. might check him out..

my thought is, if the speedo system is *that* simple on a Kbike, a few parts cheap and i'll have trouble-shooting done in no time at all....

• 1 month later...

well,

the update on the kbike saga is, I wasted $30 on parts..

Bought a cable from somebody online (think it was thru ibmw), as well as some other various farkles..

only to discover that my harness wasn't plugged in tightly!!

problem solved.

The officer dropped the charges when i took my Paypal receipt and my bike by the station, and reminded him of his promise... Wooooot--sure didn't need another 2pts (after my three performance awards in '05)... clap.gif

Well, now the speedo works like a champ.. Anybody need a speedo harness for an old Kbike?? dopeslap.gif

Anybody got a speedo set (used?) that they'll sell? I'm thinking I can buy a speedo assembly, and if it's not that it's going to be a connection issue... One way or the other I should be able to get it licked pretty fast that way...

Try www.beemerboneyard.com

• 2 months later...

I have just fixed my K100rs speedo. In my case the problem was that the outer sheath and one of the inner wires of the cable from the sensor had been pinched resulting in water getting into the wire and corroding the copper. I had intermittent problems until it finally failed completely. Fix was easy. Strip the insulation off. Clean (carefully) the oxide from the wire. Solder wires together and cover with heat shrink. I now have a perfect speedo. Cheers

Archived