IGNORED

Front Suspension Alignment After Drop

LittleBriar

LittleBriar

I have dropped my '16RT a couple of times doing slow maneuvers. None of these drops have been very hard and I didn't sustain any damage beyond a few scratches. I also have crash bars. Visual inspection and road testing doesn't show any misalignment but I'm not sure. I have read that it's important to loosen up the forks and bounce the front end to realign it whenever the bike gets dropped or wrecked. Is that necessary/recommended on my RT? If so, is there any good resources to show how to do this on my bike?

The only time you would need to do that is if you have had the front end apart and have put it back together, low speed drop should not cause problem with forks.

1 hour ago, LittleBriar said:

I have dropped my '16RT a couple of times doing slow maneuvers. None of these drops have been very hard and I didn't sustain any damage beyond a few scratches. I also have crash bars. Visual inspection and road testing doesn't show any misalignment but I'm not sure. I have read that it's important to loosen up the forks and bounce the front end to realign it whenever the bike gets dropped or wrecked. Is that necessary/recommended on my RT? If so, is there any good resources to show how to do this on my bike?

Morning LittleBriar

With light drops like that you really shouldn't have any problems.

Unlike the older BMW's there is no fork position spec as the lower fork bridge is now one piece.

About the only checks that you can easily do at home is  verify that the handlebars are straight when riding the bike straight on a  crownless road.

Next,   see if the front axle will slide in the fork holes  & line up easily & properly  (if it doesn't line up properly then install axle, then loosen lower fork pinch bolts, then re-tighten lower fork pinch bolts, then re-check axle for lining up properly when installing.