IGNORED

The Dakota DC 3

TEWKS

The time tested workhorse of the sky. We were allowed very close access to this old relic up at the Greenville ME airport a few years ago. Pretty cool! :thumbsup:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

Great timing for this post.  I'm a member of the Big Easy Wing of the Commemorative Air Force and we're hosting the C-47 "That's All Brother" starting tomorrow for the weekend.  It's on it's way to Normandy, FR for the 75th D-Day anniversary.  Among other aircraft my dad has many hours flying USAF C-47s.  Great plane.

https://thatsallbrother.org

• Like 3

Back in the mid eighties we use to go snowmobiling up at Moosehead Lake and this plane was parked at Folsoms right on the lake. (floats were on it at the time) Now for a young man's imaginary story. It's a five hour drive up to Moosehead no matter how you drove, fast slow it didn't seem to change. We came up with this grand idea of buying that DC-3 and putting skis on it to fly the sleds up from Tewksbury in probably an hour. We figured we could land on the lake, unload the sleds and be off riding in under two. :yes:

And, that was about as far as that ever went. Fun dreaming though.

• Like 1
RandyShields

Love the DC 3.  So historically significant.  Never saw one before on floats. 

Tewks, if we ever get together, I need to tell you about my visits to Wright Patterson when it was a SAC base and they hosted open houses.  Very cool airplanes at those events.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, TEWKS said:

The time tested workhorse of the sky.

Nah, the only workhorse of the sky,.......The C-130

I've been a happy passenger in the back of several of these over the years.

• Like 2

Air Chathams has a 1945 DC-3, and in conjunction with Classic Flyers in Tauranga they have scenic weekend flights during the summer months. It's finished for this season, but they expect to be back for next summer. I don't know if they still do the flights shown in this Youtube video.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Living the Dream said:

Nah, the only workhorse of the sky,.......The C-130

I've been a happy passenger in the back of several of these over the years.

I would assume, minus the "Jet Packs"?  :eek: Yep, want to say the C-130 is the modern workhorse of the sky but 50 plus years in service. :old:

• Like 1

Our C-47 arrived an hour ago.  Had a 99yr old vet who flew in one on D-Day with us to greet the crew and sit in the cockpit. Quite a moment.

IMG_6778.JPG

TAB2.JPG

• Like 1