IGNORED

RE: R9T horses

Skywagon

dSo if someone had an 2013 R9T and they changed the stock exhaust system from head to tail ending with an Akrapovic muffer, a high flow air intake, a power commander, plugged off the O2 on the pipe and told you on the dyno it popped out 140 HP....would you think that was probable or fish tale... Ran into a guy today who had that claim.  All of it was aftermarket bolt on's.

23 minutes ago, Skywagon said:

dSo if someone had an 2013 R9T and they changed the stock exhaust system from head to tail ending with an Akrapovic muffer, a high flow air intake, a power commander, plugged off the O2 on the pipe and told you on the dyno it popped out 140 HP....would you think that was probable or fish tale... Ran into a guy today who had that claim.  All of it was aftermarket bolt on's.

Evening Skywagon

I would definitely say there was smoke in the air on this one.

First common sense question is HOW did he determine horsepower??

Unless he remove the engine & ran it on a dyno then that 140 hp is just a wishful guess based on money spent.

If he ran it on a normal rolling drum dyno then that would be rear wheel horsepower & THAT would never get near 140hp.

MichiganBob

Good Evening,

I was thinking that the R9T did not come out until 2014 and was rated at 110 hp. 30 hp gain from those modifications sounds wishful but improbable.

B

Thanks….hated to call BS on someone I just met, but based on all the things I've seen posted here on exhaust/intake tuning and chips I could not imagine how he got from 110 to 140 especially if he was talking rear wheel.  I seriously doubt with just bolt on gear he took the engine out for a real crank dyno.  

:thumbsup:

I'd want a glass of whatever it was that he was drinking...............

On 3/24/2019 at 10:06 PM, Skywagon said:

Balderdash!  Wikipedia on the google machine indicates that the R9T has 110 HP at the rear wheel (2014 was the 1st year of this model by the way). 

In this day and age with the level of OEM optimization pulling out most of the available power in the motor design, using just bolt on stuff to improve breathing and richen the mixture, I would be very impressed if he got a 10% boost to 122 HP...and still would be skeptical. +5 -8%  would be more realistic expectation.

To go from 110 to 140 is more than a 27% improvement.  That type of increase in power would take cubic dollars spent on a ton of custom internal modifications, new fuel mapping, yada, yada and likely at the expense of some real world drivability.

The only bikes I have ever seen respond with significantly large improvements in power by using just bolt ons to opening up the breathing and a remapping are Harley's and even then more than 10% would be a lot to expect without installing different cams.  In the case of HDs the factory has to severely sub-optimize the breathing to meet EPA sound and emission requirements while maintaining the slender exhaust and smallish air clear look.  Euro and Japanese bikes aren't so handcuffed to the esthetic

When the late, lamented BMW Motorcycle Magazine existed, they regularly tested aftermarket exhausts on long-term test bikes.

They never saw more than 2 hp increase on any of them.

Aftermarket exhausts are for noise only.

BMW's middle name ain't "motor" for nothing.

Noise/sound...some weight loss, and heat reduction!...I put a ZTechnik exhaust on an r1100r and it eliminated the cat (while retaining 02 sensor). Noticeably 'cooler' while in summer waiting at a delayed light...(this exhaust was not loud at all, though louder than the very silent stocker)..