IGNORED

Counterfeit Spark Plugs

Paul De

I needed some NGK Iridium spark plugs for my Honda car and was shopping around a bit because those little buggers are pricey.  In that search a number of posts showed up on the Google machine talking about counterfeit  NGK spark plugs made in China.  Even NGKs own site has a FAQ on how to spot fakes.  I purchased a set from a seller with a US shipping address on eBay at a big discount to the retail price (a red flag ignored). They were listed as NGK, and the plugs had the NGK logo on the insulator, the right part number and carried NGK branding on the metal base shell as well on all packaging.  

They turned out to be counterfeit NGKs.  You need to look really close as they are nearly identical to the real NGKs. The big worry for me was the ceramic insulator tip and electrode was too different making me worry they would not be the right heat range. The electrode protruded further  from the insulator and the electrode tip was at least 50% larger in diameter, I'm not even sure it was an iridium tip at all!

The seller was very responsive to my request to return and send a refund including shipping based on my calling out the spark plugs out as suspected counterfeits in my RMA request.  There was no push back at all on my RMA request suggesting he knew what he was selling.  I have also seen on other sites that there are posts of fakes sold on Amazon as well. These fakes seem fairly prevalent and it is reasonable to assume fakes are offered for all major spark plug manufactures makers.

I never imagined there is a scam on something as mundane as spark plugs.  Be cautious!  And if the deal seems too good to be true they are likely counterfeit spark plugs

Designer merchandise, I can uunderstand that, but plugs?   Interesting.  Chinese capitalism at its finest, I guess.  

Thanks for posting.

Just go to NAPA.  They'll get you the right part every time.  So you saved a few bucks.  But anything you saved has gone out the window, with the headache, and re-buying the parts.  Been there.  Done that.

• Like 1
On 3/31/2019 at 5:47 PM, elkroeger said:

Just go to NAPA.  They'll get you the right part every time.  So you saved a few bucks.  But anything you saved has gone out the window, with the headache, and re-buying the parts.  Been there.  Done that.

Yes, I did get genuine plugs from a local auto parts store.  The online seller was responsive and prompt with a full refund including return shipping. No questions, or push back.  I notified ebay to follow up right after my Paypal account was refunded.

• 1 year later...

Well, I guess I’m one of “those” born every second!,  I had no idea either there were counterfeit plugs.  I was buying plugs for my ‘82 GPZ750.  So I thought I’d renew this thread so others won’t suffer similarly.  I did not think to even question the veracity of spark plugs!

On the other hand, genuine iridium plugs do seem to be working well in my ‘14 RTW. The picture is of the plug at 6000 miles- no visible wear on the electrodes. Those I ordered from the NGK website, not from Amazon (no wonder they weren’t back ordered, like at the NGK site. Another red flag in hindsight.)

paul

C8A06A86-4793-49D8-9F8A-1B9761F80413.jpeg