IGNORED

Newbie here..engine questions

eflitzer

I have a '02 rt with a blown engine (single plug head)..I have secured a replacement engine however it is a 03-04 with dual plug head...

are these interchangeable?

Will new motor run on the 1 plug system on the bike....if not what changes need to be made?

Thanks..E

3 hours ago, eflitzer said:

I have a '02 rt with a blown engine (single plug head)..I have secured a replacement engine however it is a 03-04 with dual plug head...

are these interchangeable?

Will new motor run on the 1 plug system on the bike....if not what changes need to be made?

Thanks..E

Morning eflitzer

Will the dual plug later engine run on the early single plug electronics as a single plug engine?-- YES.

Will it operate correctly?-- Good question. The dual plug engine uses a slightly different ignition curve.

Can it be made to work correctly?-- Another good question but probably can with some work.

The dual spark  1150 engine doesn't run  all that great on just the upper spark plugs alone but will run somewhat OK at higher RPM's, it's the lower  RPM light throttle area where the dual spark engine doesn't run so great on just the upper spark plugs.

To run on the existing  singe spark coil will take using the existing spark plug wires going to the upper spark plugs  (valve covers are different) so  that will have to be worked out. (I'm not sure that your existing Motronic would properly control upper stick coils, it might but due to dwell differences it might not do it correctly)

There is also an aftermarket 4 tower ignition coil that would allow the use of all 4 spark plugs in your later 4 plug engine (your Motronic will drive that OK) but that still leaves you with the single spark ignition advance mapping.

My guess is that you can make it work but it will probably take some work & possibly an aftermarket fuel controller (like the  AF-XIED)  to get it to run correctly  at light throttle.

You might PM  '  Roger 04 RT  ' as he has played with the 4 spark engine  fueling & dwell measurements more than I have.

Good Morning Dirtrider

Thank you for the input and I will take your lead on contacting  'Rodger 04 RT'

I have changed the valve covers and plug wires...which is the extent of my modifications.

I wondered about  the single spark ignition advance mapping....uncharted waters for me.

I can use all the advise I can get.