IGNORED

Tricky subject: hiding a spare key on the bike

Miguel!

Any ideas here? I always fear losing my key when on the road. Mine is a conventional key, not an electronic key. 

PM me if you are more comfortable sending a suggestion that way.

Thanks! Miguel

For years I had one inside the mirror housing.  On newer bikes that requires a star tool to remove the mirror so I left the tool in the radio box and left that unlocked.  In almost 20 years I never needed it so now I just carry the spare in my pocket.

• Like 2

I bury it in one of the secret pockets my Stitch jacket has. I'm not in and out of it so no chance of dropping it while fishing for something.

• Like 2

This isn't what you asked, but my '99 RT came with several extra key spades (metal part w/o attached rubber part) so it was small and flat.  I stuffed one in the end corner of my wallet and it lives there all the time.  On my '15 RT with key-less ride there is a plastic RF key that is a bit larger but rides in that same location.  This approach may not work for those who maintain a slim wallet, but for me I always have my wallet with license when I ride and so always have  the spare too.

image.png.8f6538b65f9979391588eba5b89f5aaf.png

Sincerely,

George Costanza

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, Paul De said:

This isn't what you asked, but my '99 RT came with several extra key spades (metal part w/o attached rubber part) so it was small and flat.  I stuffed one in the end corner of my wallet and it lives there all the time.  On my '15 RT with key-less ride there is a plastic RF key that is a bit larger but rides in that same location.  This approach may not work for those who maintain a slim wallet, but for me I always have my wallet with license when I ride and so always have  the spare too.

image.png.8f6538b65f9979391588eba5b89f5aaf.png

Sincerely,

George Costanza

I keep a very thin wallet, just a license, insurance card, credit card and ATM. There's no room for more stuff. 

On our cars, we have keyless key fobs. But all keys do have a key but into he fob incase you battery dies in the fob. I got a spare key,, put it in a magnetic key holder under the car and hit a real keyless fob in the car in a place not easy to find. So if someone found the spare  key, they couldn't steal the car. Just passing it on. 

Thanks for the good ideas.Keep 'em coming. I got one good idea via PM as well. 

Miguel

Another good idea. I suppose you could zip tie a spare almost anywhere behind the fairing. How do you plan to cut the ziptie if all you tools are in locked on the bike? Thanks! Miguel 

Bill_Walker

On a three-week trip, I zip-tied my spare key to my riding buddy's bike.  Which is where it still was when he traded the bike in a few months later!

Hah!! That is a great idea, or at least it was at first!

I should just get 3 spare keys made (local shop will make them for $4 each, I had two made yesterday) and put a spare in each of my 3 jackets. That should solve the problem unless someone steals my jacket and then my bike. Or I put my jacket in a sidecase and then lose the key! I'll probably do a couple different strategies. 

Lotta good ideas in this thread.

Best

Miguel

7 hours ago, Paul De said:

Sincerely,

George Costanza

I do the same. I have the remote fob with key that came with the bike. Then on another key ring, I have a separate spare metal key that is always in my pocket. And then the spare plastic key lives in my wallet.

Thanks Will. I read your riding profile under your site name, Green RT. Interestingly, and by contrast, I've been riding on and off over the last 50 years and have been riding BMWs for 3 months! I still have lots of questions on it too. I love the spaceship look of the oilhead fairings and when I went looking for a BMW, I specifically went looking for an oilhead. You're Tundra Green was my target color but I couldn't find one. I "settled" for the beautiful Opal Blue instead. 

Cheers!

Miguel

• Like 1

If you worry about defeating a zip tie, you could consider using a silicone sealant and maybe even better a removable rubber based sealant that is sold to temporarily seal leaky windows in the winter.   You could glue a spare key almost anywhere.

Opal Blue and Tundra Green are really nice colors for the Oilheads,  but Boston Green was the fastest oilhead color;)

17 minutes ago, Paul De said:

Boston Green was the fastest oilhead color

Perhaps so, perhaps so.

Miguel!

Well, you've solved your issue, but you remove the right black triangle, take your small silver key and use black electrical tape to tape it to the INSIDE of the small diameter frame tube, wrapping the tape around the key and the tube. Replace the triangle . In time, the tape gets all dusty dirty and blends right in. 

3 minutes ago, Tri750 said:

Well, you've solved your issue, but you remove the right black triangle, take your small silver key and use black electrical tape to tape it to the INSIDE of the small diameter frame tube, wrapping the tape around the key and the tube. Replace the triangle . In time, the tape gets all dusty dirty and blends right in. 

Ding, Ding, Ding!! Another great idea. Thanks! Miguel

16 hours ago, Miguel! said:

Another good idea. I suppose you could zip tie a spare almost anywhere behind the fairing. How do you plan to cut the ziptie if all you tools are in locked on the bike? Thanks! Miguel 

With the folding knife which is always in my pocket, or the one which is always in my tank bag.

On my cars, I put a spare key down low and behind the grill on a small zip tie.  On the bikes, I'll find a fairing strut or similar, somewhere protected and not too obvious but easy to reach.  Snug up the zip tie to keep it from rattling and when needed a half twist of the key will break the little plastic zip tie.  That has saved my bacon many times.  

Or, you could use a short piece of solid copper wire to twist tie the key on with.  That way you can reinstall the spare key immediately when you are done with, don't have to go find another zip tie.

20190323_083302[1].jpg

20190323_082618[1].jpg

Lot of great ideas here. Thanks. I went to get a couple spare keys made at a local locksmith. As it turns out, the key out the door was only $4. I had them make me 5 copies, one spare that I leave at home and one for the key pocket of each of my three MC jackets. And I still hid one on the bike.

Best

Miguel

59 minutes ago, Miguel! said:

Lot of great ideas here. Thanks. I went to get a couple spare keys made at a local locksmith. As it turns out, the key out the door was only $4. I had them make me 5 copies, one spare that I leave at home and one for the key pocket of each of my three MC jackets. And I still hid one on the bike.

Best

Miguel

Wow!  Talk about covering all the bases!

1 minute ago, wbw6cos said:

Wow!  Talk about covering all the bases!

I  was never a boyscout but I'm making up for it!!

The keys were so cheap, it was easy to splurge. This approach would have been prohibitive with my other bike, the blanks are $40 and cost me $20 to get them cut IIRC. 

Miguel!

• Thanks 1

I use some of the tape that looks like the wiring harness and tape the key to one of the wires near the handle bars in front of the gas tank. Unless you know what to look for it blends in nicely.

I glued a piece of steel up under the front fender, and use a magnetic hide a key box. I found an adhesive at the auto parts store that advertised that it sticks to plastic body parts. I cleaned with acetone to degrease, and scuff sanded with fine sand paper for adhesion. I put the bike key plus the key to unlock my helmet there.

I used a magnetic box for a spare key on a car years ago.  Had it up under the hood (no hood lock back then).  Went to get the key one day and it was gone, just a semi-dirty spot where it used to be.  No other sign of it.  Must have bounced off and out.  Haven't used a magnetic box since.

8 hours ago, bdfbeemer said:

I use some of the tape that looks like the wiring harness and tape the key to one of the wires near the handle bars in front of the gas tank. Unless you know what to look for it blends in nicely.

Great idea. Thanks.

3 hours ago, Lowndes said:

I used a magnetic box for a spare key on a car years ago.  Had it up under the hood (no hood lock back then).  Went to get the key one day and it was gone, just a semi-dirty spot where it used to be.  No other sign of it.  Must have bounced off and out.  Haven't used a magnetic box since.

I've used magnetic key holders for years. Must have been a pretty goo bump to knock if off. Sorry to hear that. Miguel

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I've put some pretty good bumps on several vehicles thru the years.  But I sure was disappointed not to have that key there when I went for it. Wasn't the first time I needed to use it.

Used my spare zip tie key last week.  Put keys in my jacket and later when it warmed up threw the jacket in the back seat.   Guess the battery was so weak the car didn't see it and locked the doors.   I like a physical, mechanical capture now for my spare keys!!

Safe travels, Miguel!!  ATGATT.

Lowndes

I waited to see if anyone said this or not....  I put my plastic key, which does work as I've checked it, in my boot....yep...in the boot.  It doesn't bother me.  So if you want to steal my bike you have to take my shoe off.

5 hours ago, Lowndes said:

Well, I've put some pretty good bumps on several vehicles thru the years.  But I sure was disappointed not to have that key there when I went for it. Wasn't the first time I needed to use it.

Used my spare zip tie key last week.  Put keys in my jacket and later when it warmed up threw the jacket in the back seat.   Guess the battery was so weak the car didn't see it and locked the doors.   I like a physical, mechanical capture now for my spare keys!!

Safe travels, Miguel!!  ATGATT.

Lowndes

Thanks!! Miguel

4 hours ago, Skywagon said:

I waited to see if anyone said this or not....  I put my plastic key, which does work as I've checked it, in my boot....yep...in the boot.  It doesn't bother me.  So if you want to steal my bike you have to take my shoe off.

Interesting idea. I tried embedding one in my backrest held in place by a phillips screw but it didn't work out. Some runner's shoes have a key pocket. I'm pretty sure my Sidi riding boots don't but I'll check tmw. Thanks for that!

Miguel

When the Mrs. and I are on a trip, we both carry a key to the other person's bike.  When in the car, we both keep our keys as if we were the only person on the trip.

I've also kept a key on the bike, wrapped tight to the frame with electrical tape.

4 hours ago, Richard_D said:

I've had some bikes where  a spare key would fit under the rubber on the foot peg.

Excellent idea!! And it does fit under the footrest rubber on mine. Thx. Miguel 

• Like 1

Get the 1/2 size key blank Paul mentioned.

Where do you carry your bike's registration papers?

I folded the registration around my 1/2 key, kept in wallet.

Always with you when you ride.

You can most likely find a spot in your helmet behind padding, but impact might be a problem.

They do make motorcycle license plate frames that have "storage" behind them.

Registration/insurance papers and spare key can go there.

https://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-license-plate-stash-box/

https://www.twistedthrottle.com/stash-box-lockable-license-plate-storage-box-by-twisted-throttle

Best wishes.

On 4/18/2019 at 9:09 AM, tallman said:

Get the 1/2 size key blank Paul mentioned.

Where do you carry your bike's registration papers?

I folded the registration around my 1/2 key, kept in wallet.

Always with you when you ride.

You can most likely find a spot in your helmet behind padding, but impact might be a problem.

Best wishes.

Thanks Tallman. I carry just a single credit card, license, ATM card, two health and AAA cards in my "wallet" and that's it. It's really a business card holder. Its all I've used for decades. There is no room for a key. Thanks for the suggestion tho. 

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. 

Best

Miguel

On 4/10/2019 at 1:57 PM, Miguel! said:

Excellent idea!! And it does fit under the footrest rubber on mine. Thx. Miguel 

I really liked this idea and tried it out. One of the advantages of an older bike like my 2001 R1100RT is that the key is just a simple blank, not an electronic transponder. So I simply removed the plastic head so the entire key was only a couple mm thick.  It easily fits between the foot peg post and the rubber covering. I have a spare key that lives there now.  See pics below. The key is not obvious at all and it kinda easy to pull out but tight enough that it will not rattle out.

You can do a similar think with a more modern bike, just hiding a blank and then hiding an electronic key someplace on the bike that's hidden in a locked compartment on the bike.  I do this with my modern car.

Best

Miguel

IMG_1680.jpeg

IMG_1679.jpeg

• 4 months later...

I punch a hole in the leather "expansion part" of one of my boots and tie the spare plastic key there. Always with me and not left on the bike. 

On 4/10/2019 at 1:11 PM, Richard_D said:

I've had some bikes where  a spare key would fit under the rubber on the foot peg.

Dang.  you mean I didn't have to the swallow the spare key?  This is a great idea because after loosing the main key it was extra frustrating to wait the extra few hours until I could retrieve the spare:14:

• Sad 1

Lets not over complicate this stuff.   Like my 74 honda,  my 18 R1200rt has a side cover which just can be popped off without tools (18 its a triangle down toward the swingarm pivot) .  Slap that extra key on the back of the cover with some Gorilla Duct  tape over it completely and it is preserved until the next century, or when you need to use it.

22 hours ago, rumble2020 said:

Lets not over complicate this stuff.   Like my 74 honda,  my 18 R1200rt has a side cover which just can be popped off without tools (18 its a triangle down toward the swingarm pivot) .  Slap that extra key on the back of the cover with some Gorilla Duct  tape over it completely and it is preserved until the next century, or when you need to use it.

Darn!!!  Somebody with the exact same idea that I had!!!!  :)  I did one extra step, for "just in case", by tying a piece of fishing line to the key, and tied a loop in the free end.  I then place this loop over one of the plastic pin that hold that cover as I put the cover back on the bike.  Oh, I also placed an extra key fob battery in there with the plastic key, just in case that the fob battery died while I was on the road.

On 3/21/2019 at 3:25 PM, Miguel! said:

... hid a real keyless fob in the car in a place not easy to find ...

If the real fob is inside the car, I hope you've wrapped it in aluminum foil. If not, the car can sense it and it won't matter whether someone finds it or not, they can just push the start button and drive off.

On 9/13/2019 at 8:55 AM, PadG said:

... Oh, I also placed an extra key fob battery in there with the plastic key, just in case that the fob battery died while I was on the road.

I hope you replace the battery every once in a while, sure be a bummer to need it and find out it died in its sleep!

22 hours ago, WBinDE said:

If the real fob is inside the car, I hope you've wrapped it in aluminum foil. If not, the car can sense it and it won't matter whether someone finds it or not, they can just push the start button and drive off.

I hope you replace the battery every once in a while, sure be a bummer to need it and find out it died in its sleep!

As a matter of fact, I had just replaced the battery yesterday!  You should know that when the fob battery is getting low, you will get a warning icon on the dash when you start up.  Unfortunately, that goes away after just a few seconds, and so it is easily missed.  Mine came up, and so I replace the battery.

54 minutes ago, rumble2020 said:

Trust the Gorilla brand duct tape. I've only ever had issues trying to remove it! 

I don't trust anything!!  :)  Actually, the way that I had set up is to put the plastic key and the extra battery in a small zip-lock bag.  You know, the tiny one that is used to pack small accessories when you buy some devices.  Anyway, the little bag gets taped to the inside cover, leaving the open end of the bag untaped.  That little line tied to the key will allow me to withdraw the key without having to untape anything, and the key can be replaced without having to disturb the set-up.  The loop at the free end is held in place by the cover, as I had described, and that is a safety leash in the event that the tape, over time, loose the adhesion and let go.