IGNORED

Do You Fix a Flat Tire?

mgold

Have got a rear tire (Avon) which has a nail in it. Is it safe to plug or is replacement really the way to go? Tire has 3K miles on it.

Shawnee Bill
Have got a rear tire (Avon) which has a nail in it. Is it safe to plug or is replacement really the way to go? Tire has 3K miles on it.

A while back I had an Avon with about 3000 miles pick up a nail right in the middle of the tread, Took it to our local Avon Motorcycle Tire store, they plugged it with a Stop n Go plug, That place plugs quite a few tires.

I rode it another 3000 miles until one day the plug popped out. The tread was well into the wear marks.

So I say plug it but change it a little eariler than you normally would. I probably wouldn't get far from home with it though.

This seems to be a little bit of a personal thing, if it bothers you any ridding on a plug get a new tire now.

+1 to "Yes and I keep it only long enough to get home and replace it." For gosh sakes, the tire is only $110 or so + mounting vs. what's your medical deductible if the thing fails catastrophically?? dopeslap.gif

FWIW, I've had a Stop-n-Go repair fail in less than 300 miles. I've also had the Wal Mart "sticky rope" repair hold over 500 miles until I got home. In both cases, I ordered a new tire when I arrived at my destination.

I suppose that the bottom line is basically the same as riding itself; it's all about assessing your personal risk tolerance and living within that zone. confused.gif

russell_bynum

If you're going to worry and fret over it, then it isn't worth it...patch it to get you going again, then replace it.

Personally...I've ridden many thousands of miles on patched tires and I've never had any problems.

I had the same problem with the last ME880 on my back wheel.

I ground all the internal ridges flat usong a Dremel with a grindstone, and thoroughly roughed up the area around the puncture inside. Then I applied 2 coats of tire adhesive, and applied a 1-1/2" diameter patch. Finally, I hammered the patch all over its surface to get full and intimate contact with the adhesive.

The result was that 15,000 KM later (city riding, and some high speed trips), when the tire was removed for disposal, I checked the state of the patch. It was still on there like the day I fixed the tire. I tried ripping it off, but there was no way it would come off.

So the short answer is.... do a good job of repairing it, and it will be as good as new.

Bob.

Thanks to all...I ordered a new tire....I agree, the risk is too great!

No it's not, if you repair it properly. See my other post.

Bob.

I asked this same question in a previous thread a few weeks ago, and there was a lot of discussion, but no consensus, of course. I could not find a shop willing to repair motorcycle tires, even though it was just a tiny nail. They cited legal considerations.

I ended up repairing it myself, and it has remained leak-free for 2000 miles so far. I have been keeping a close eye on the pressure, and would not take it to the track, but I am too frugal to just throw an otherwise good tire away. Some would find this too risky, but I could not find any good data to demonstrate that tires may catastrophically fail in this circumstance.

Jay

Calvin  (no socks)

I am currently testing a rope plug in the center of my Metzler Z-6... 1000 miles around town and counting, no pressure loss other than normal rate... I will replace the tire before going out of town on a trip....I also keep the speed to 80 mph maximum dopeslap.gif

Not to be a "smart ass", but if you have to ask, you know the answer. Premonitions are important, so if you think it might be unsafe, it probably is.

If you are out on the road, miles from anywhere, your options are limited. Fix it however you have to, be alert, ride safe, and get it replaced as soon as possbile.

a rear tire no problem

front tire i'd replace it if i had miles on it.

a tire i demo'd last TD for tire plugging (numerous times)on the road still has the air in it from last fall.

i'd plug it if on the road ,then when home remove tire, and hot patch it from the inside.

dealers and mc repair shops do not patch due to liability.

but you do what makes you fell comfortable.

Riding a repaired tired tire is a personal choice and the risk is relative to the rider. If the repair makes you nervous and less confident, then replace the tire as soon as is practical. I ride repaired tires and don't give it much thought after repairing the tire. I have never had a patch fail and I use rope plugs with cement.

I am currently testing a rope plug in the center of my Metzler Z-6... 1000 miles around town and counting, no pressure loss other than normal rate... I will replace the tire before going out of town on a trip....I also keep the speed to 80 mph maximum dopeslap.gif
I am curious why you have set a limit of 80 mph. That just sounds odd, that is why I ask. If you are willing to go 80, why not 90, or 70?

I've had a puncture in just about every rear tire I've owned, sometime within a 100mi of purchases,and have never had an issue with a repair. My current one had 10K on it. Why waste the $110-150? The only shop in the my area that does repairs uses a plug and then a patch on the inside. I don't see the issue unless you're riding 10/10 on the track, which for a touring bike is not likely. Tire construction is very good these days, and unless the hole was enormous what's the issue? Some of you act like it's an egg shell or something. Granted, if you are willing to burn the money just because, or do track riding then more power to you.

My last flat was a nail in the center tread. I took the tire off with the intention of patching from the inside. I threw the tire away when I notice the nail had worked on the inside sidewall almost through the casing. There is also the possiblity that some belts could be damaged.

Archived