IGNORED

a shocking story

Tank

I have just returned from a 150 mile ride that has made a believer out out of me. With 59,000 miles on my steed, my confedance was lagging is its ability to bring me back from aggressive twisties . Well..... After installing a new set of shocks front and rear from Works Performance. That rock solid feeling i had when I bought the 04' R1150RT is back. Thanks to Mike (Toolman) who gave me a few pointers in the right direction. And of course thanks to all the hosts and gurus who have given their time to techdaze that i have attended .

I think that whatever shock one decides to install.... the feeling of confidance i had returning to me was worth the price

russell_bynum

I'll never forget that first ride with my new Works Shocks.

I had done some short solo rides to dial in the settings, but hadn't really done much with the bike at that point.

Then we set out on the "meatfest" ride 2-up. After some mild freeway lane-splitting, I added one click of rebound damping, then we started up Angeles Crest. I was running what felt like a nice slow, comfortable pace. The first time we got to a corner, I pitched the bike in and waited for the usual wallow and/or centerstand grounding. Nada. The bike heeled over, squatted, rebounded a little bit, and was freaking GLUED to the road.

The next thing I know, I'm rolling through corners still totally comfortable and relaxed and I'm passing all these folks who normally give me a view of their rapidly dissapearing tail lights (I even passed Laney and that damn monkey on her SV650.)

Properly configured and tuned aftermarket shocks are probably the single best thing you can bolt onto the bike.

I like to agressively snap the bike down into the corners. The only way to keep the stock shocks from coming totally unglued when I did that, is to crank up the preload and the damping. (Forget about it 2-up...there's just no hope.) Then the ride was dreadful on the freeway.

I was always stopping to dick around with my suspension to keep it working properly.

With the aftermarket stuff, I never change it. I got it set, and leave it alone. My freeway ride is smoother and more refined than it ever could be with the stock shocks, and I can throw the damn thing into corners as hard as I want and it just sticks. The Works "ARS" rear shock makes the "solo to 2-up" change about a 60 second affair, and really the only thing I have to do differently when riding 2-up, is account for the additional mass on the bike since it makes the bike slower to turn. From a suspension standpoint, it rides the same solo as 2-up.

Russell, you're riding the Honda, right? Or were you referring to when you had the RT?

What is your view of the stock shocks on the 12GS? At this point, I'm not sure if my abilities would appreciate the differences. Then again, the best equipment can help all levels, I suppose.

Thanks.

Paul

tom collins

when i got my first set, i went intentionally looking for broken pavement just to feel how well they worked. it was almost freaky.

tom collins

russell_bynum
Russell, you're riding the Honda, right? Or were you referring to when you had the RT?

What is your view of the stock shocks on the 12GS? At this point, I'm not sure if my abilities would appreciate the differences. Then again, the best equipment can help all levels, I suppose.

Thanks.

Paul

The CBR still has stock suspension. It is actually fairly decent (and fully adjustable for compression, rebound, and preload at both ends), but woefully undersprung for my weight. I will be resolving that shortly with a Penske rear shock and Ohlins springs in the forks.

The story I told was about the RT.

As for the shocks on the GS, from the experience I have (about a day on David's R1200GS in the Smokies last summer), I'd say they're maybe a little better than the stock shocks that were on my RT. Maybe. If I was going to be riding mostly 2-up, I'd replace the shocks right away because I'd be over the weight limit that the stock shocks are designed for, and I would be constantly screwing with them to make them work. If I was riding mostly solo (or if my and my passenger were light enough not to overload the stock shocks) I'd probably ride the stock shocks until they wore out...or until I found myself with some money burning a hole in my pocket. cool.gif

or until I found myself with some money burning a hole in my pocket.

Oh, that's a good one! As if I need ANOTHER reason to spend money on the bike! I'm from the Ken (King of Bling) & JimVanBaden school of Farkle!

But, I do appreciate the advice. I was starting to break into a cold sweat thinking of how to justify the shocks to myself! eek.gif But, since the whole point of the bike was for "ME" time, solo, I have started breathing again.

Now, about crash guards and a new horn........ crazy.gif

Tom I don't have to go looking for bad pavment. Hiway 101 is so tore up due to the rain that there are time i wish i had a gs... Well I'm off to ride hiway 199 thru the Smith River canyon... a nasty little road that should be banned to cars and trucks as they are just a nusance wink.gifgrin.gifthumbsup.gif and see if my first impressions need adjustment....I may need to do this for at least a couple of weeks as Gunny is just around the corner

Archived