IGNORED

2003 R1150rt Servo Brake question

CNred

I've had my 1150rt down for a bit doing maintenance.

During it's down time I reoaced the left side chain tensioner with the up grade. Also replaced the alternator belt, air cleaner element, fuel filter, oil and filter and changed out the brake fluid front and back as well as bleeding the servo unit.

The bike is back together and everything seems alright.  

My concern with the Servo System ABS is as follows.

When the key is turned on the bike goes throught the check sequence and the Servo motor goes on and off. The dash brake lights flash and then settle to one light flashing. Once the bike starts roll, the remaining light goes off.  The bike stops excllently with out issue.

My question is this: When I hit the brakes the servo motor comes on but does not go off until the brake is released.  I can't remember if the motor ever went off or not while the brake was being applied.

Anyone care to weigh in?

14 minutes ago, CNred said:

I've had my 1150rt down for a bit doing maintenance.

During it's down time I reoaced the left side chain tensioner with the up grade. Also replaced the alternator belt, air cleaner element, fuel filter, oil and filter and changed out the brake fluid front and back as well as bleeding the servo unit.

The bike is back together and everything seems alright.  

My concern with the Servo System ABS is as follows.

When the key is turned on the bike goes throught the check sequence and the Servo motor goes on and off. The dash brake lights flash and then settle to one light flashing. Once the bike starts roll, the remaining light goes off.  The bike stops excllently with out issue.

My question is this: When I hit the brakes the servo motor comes on but does not go off until the brake is released.  I can't remember if the motor ever went off or not while the brake was being applied.

Anyone care to weigh in?

Evening CNred

The servo motors stay running as long as you hold the lever back or the foot pedal down as they are  'required' for the brakes to have servo apply pressure (the 1150 I-ABS system has no accumulators so is full time power assist).

But, on later 1150 bikes   2003/2005 the rear brake servo will shut down at light apply pressure & motorcycle sitting still as a system power saver function. It will kick back in if bike moves or more lever/pedal pressure is added. 

The servo sound will also change as you add or remove lever or foot pedal pressure.

Thanks dirtrider, That's what is happening so I guess allis well.  I couldn't recall if they stayed on in the past or not.  

Everytime I mess with the system I have to re-aquint myself with it's personality.

Agree with dirtrider. I have same bike and servo works as stated. The servo system gets a bad rap but i like them. Ive had no problem .

11 hours ago, joeb said:

. The servo system gets a bad rap but i like them. Ive had no problem .

And so they should. You are fortunate to have had no problems. I have, and when they let go, let me tell you, you don't want it to happen again. In fact for me, it was almost such that it would be impossible to happen again, because it almost put me over the edge of a cliff!  When that servo drops out and you have only residual braking, trying to stop this beast is a considerable and life changing effort!

The best place for them is in the scrap metal bin.