IGNORED

Do we have a member map?

bendbill

Did this forum use to have a member map--or was it ST Owners group?  Or am I getting old enough to remember things that never happened ? :-/

Funny, I was just thinking about members and maps yesterday but my thought was more  " where have you been on a motorcycle" I looked for the website that I built this one on but no luck. Plenty out there, just couldn't find this particular one.

My M/C travels.

image.jpg

Edit

This was probably it

https://visitedstatesmap.com

I think a member map would be a great idea.  I haven't seen one, but would like to.

I'd even like to see something like this to let folks (who are passing through the area) know that I'm available if they need assistance or want to meet for a meal.  Of course, there'd probably be fewer of those here in Alaska than some other parts of the world.  Maybe Mr. Olson has the technical skills to automate such a map.

It would also be helpful to show members' location on each post -- like it used to be.

12 hours ago, BendBill said:

Did this forum use to have a member map ... ?

39 minutes ago, Ken S said:

I think a member map would be a great idea.

We will be testing a "member map" add-on to this software shortly.   Depending on the results of the test, you might see it available within 7 to 10 days.

• Like 3
15 minutes ago, chrisolson said:

We will be testing a "member map" add-on to this software shortly.

Excellent!  

I have experience developing web database applications.  If I can do anything to help, let me know.  But my recent experience is with Microsoft's .NET framework, so it'd have to be on that platform for me to be of much assistance.

I just put it in the sig.  It's a general location of the town I'm in, but it's easy enough to find me,.....just ask a local where that guy lives that rides every day ;)

image.png.cfd87fe863f432202060a868ec620ed3.png

• Like 1
On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 11:23 AM, chrisolson said:

We will be testing a "member map" add-on to this software shortly.   Depending on the results of the test, you might see it available within 7 to 10 days.

Great!  Thanks to the admins

This would be interesting to see.

I know BMWOG has had the Anonymous Book so people can get help from Members when traveling. I would be up for being in the map for meeting up, helping with breakdowns, or an overnight stay.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Kinsley said:

This would be interesting to see.

I know BMWOG has had the Anonymous Book so people can get help from Members when traveling. I would be up for being in the map for meeting up, helping with breakdowns, or an overnight stay.

In testing the available app, it doesn't allow for any additional information to be passed into it from the member profile other than State or City

However ...

Within the popup on the map it shows the member avatar.  Cicking on it displays the full member profile. 

A new field can be added to the global member profile information which would allow you (the member) to indicate if you are available for Travel Help ... or some other agreed upon description and options.  The field in the profile can be a radio button with options or check boxes for various levels of help available.

Its not ideal, since if there were multiple members in the area where you needed assistance, you'd need to click on each to find out their status.  But ... better than  what we have now ... which is nothing :classic_wink:

• Like 1
On 3/6/2019 at 11:40 AM, Ken S said:

It would also be helpful to show members' location on each post -- like it used to be.

You can put your location either in your sig line (as in mine) or you can edit your profile and add the location as the "title" which will appear just below your name (I have my IBA number there)

Its not like ubb.threads where it was automatic ... but it is a workaround to accomplish the same thing, just takes a bit more work. :classic_biggrin:

szurszewski
9 minutes ago, chrisolson said:

You can put your location either in your sig line (as in mine) or you can edit your profile and add the location as the "title" which will appear just below your name (I have my IBA number there)

Its not like ubb.threads where it was automatic ... but it is a workaround to accomplish the same thing, just takes a bit more work. :classic_biggrin:

Unfortunate neither of those fields show up on my phone, which I’ve been using more for this forum now that you all have made it work some much better for mobile!

5 minutes ago, szurszewski said:

Unfortunate neither of those fields show up on my phone, which I’ve been using more for this forum now that you all have made it work some much better for mobile!

Sig line options aren't available on mobile because sig lines don't show at all on mobile  (guess the developers figured you wouldn't configure your PC from your phone) :classic_unsure:

But the title option is available using the slide out menu .... Account >Account Settings >Other Settings - click Edit Profile

szurszewski

I should clarify: I meant it’s unfortunate we can’t see signatures and titles on posts via mobile browsing of the forum. 

I understand - or assume I do - why they aren’t there as they’d clutter things up a bit. 

On 3/6/2019 at 11:40 AM, Ken S said:

I think a member map would be a great idea.  I haven't seen one, but would like to.

A member map will be introduced as part of the Tuesday night upgrade ...

The calendar pins are links to BMWST Event Calendar listings.  Both the Calendar and personal pins are clickable and take you to the individual profile or Calendar event.

Adding yourself to the map will be a simple matter of completing (or not) a "Member Map Location" text entry box that will be added to your profile.  This way, you have control if you want to participate or not.

The map can be zoomed down to the street level if desired.

2109141865_ScreenShot2019-03-11at9_34_26PM.thumb.png.90c51c71edaabdcc930d9bde08d12427.png

927492197_ScreenShot2019-03-11at9_44_02PM.png.ce142742fb2edcdcc951820c3fe9d766.png

606414563_ScreenShot2019-03-11at9_44_17PM.png.37c3a64409cb4103362f8a742aeee1c3.png

620354074_ScreenShot2019-03-11at9_41_13PM.thumb.png.61e7edc86bbf9e2b3723ca7d6d2520d8.png

• Like 4

Chrisolson,

Did I goof?  I added my zip in my profile.  However, it doesn't show me in Bend, but in Kathmandu--which is an interesting place, I'm sure, but I don' wanna be there :-/

Bill

I added my zip in my profile.  However, it doesn't show me in Bend, but in Kathmandu--which is an interesting place, I'm sure, but I don' wanna be there :-/

LOL yeah I noticed that ... its a "free" resource so the zip code reference is obviously a bit shakey.  I'd put in a City and or City, State or just State and you should be good.  I'm going to update the information to advise not to use a zip code.

40 minutes ago, artig said:

It worked for me.

Yes, appreciate your entry !!  I wish I could zoom out to get you included  in the default view !!

• Like 1

I just added my listing to the map and it shows a green pin with a house on it.  Other pins are blue with the person silhouette.  Does that mean they are "homeless?"  :5146:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
40 minutes ago, wbw6cos said:

I just added my listing to the map and it shows a green pin with a house on it.  Other pins are blue with the person silhouette.  Does that mean they are "homeless?"  :5146:

Good morning, William.

I think the Green House only shows your own location.

My location also shows a Green House, while you location is a Blue Pin!

3 hours ago, Bernie said:

Good morning, William.

:18:

• Thanks 1

You may notice that as more pins are added in a location that may be close to each other, the map "clusters" those entries.  This is a normal behavior of the map.  

Hovering over the aggregated number show the map area being consolidated and clicking on the number zooms to show individual pins.

9 hours ago, chrisolson said:

LOL yeah I noticed that ... its a "free" resource so the zip code reference is obviously a bit shakey.  I'd put in a City and or City, State or just State and you should be good.  I'm going to update the information to advise not to use a zip code.

OK, Chris, I tried various combinations of removing the zip code or moving to nearby cities.  I tried refreshing and re-logging in.  No workie.  It still shows me in Kathmandu, so I'll just stick around and enjoy Nepal's temps in the 60s-70s this week.  Then trade my new RT for a new GS  :-)

6 minutes ago, BendBill said:

OK, Chris, I tried various combinations of removing the zip code or moving to nearby cities.  I tried refreshing and re-logging in.  No workie.  It still shows me in Kathmandu, so I'll just stick around and enjoy Nepal's temps in the 60s-70s this week.  Then trade my new RT for a new GS  :-)

:5146: 

Not sure what was happening, but I changed it for you.   

So ...............

Sorry ,  no GS and its back to  chillier temps for you  :classic_biggrin:

bend1.thumb.PNG.62c2c3461fdff79cf148a9185b9a4097.PNG

• Like 1

Thanks, Chris.

NOW I want to change it back to my real home in Bend.  It's a nicer zip code, where, statistics assures me, I will have 8 years added to my life expectancy :-)

19 minutes ago, BendBill said:

Thanks, Chris.

NOW I want to change it back to my real home in Bend.  It's a nicer zip code, where, statistics assures me, I will have 8 years added to my life expectancy :-)

Done ... just to be safe I made the change for you.  Wouldn't want you globe trotting again , although that new GS might be tempting .  :classic_sleep:

• Like 1
Bill_Walker
14 hours ago, BendBill said:

Chrisolson,

Did I goof?  I added my zip in my profile.  However, it doesn't show me in Bend, but in Kathmandu--which is an interesting place, I'm sure, but I don' wanna be there :-/

Bill

I guess you're no Bob Seger!

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Bernie said:

Good morning, William.

Thanks for the serious reply.  I was being..........myself.  I meant no disrespect.  I hope I did not offend.

It is a great feature to have.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, wbw6cos said:

I hope I did not offend.

I thought it was funny ... a nice play on words:5223:

• Thanks 1

I updated profile with zip.  Went to the map.  Does not show me.  Would that be because my town is not shown by name on the map or does it just take a while to update?

szurszewski
7 minutes ago, Red said:

I updated profile with zip.  Went to the map.  Does not show me.  Would that be because my town is not shown by name on the map or does it just take a while to update?

I found you, Red - you’re in Martinique!

CFDD8033-1953-4851-83AC-FF30912A8211.thumb.png.77f7caf5c7e714d399767a0ee5b472af.png

At the top of the map page you can click on the “browse markers” button to get a list, and you’re currently on top. Looks like another zip code issue. 

24 minutes ago, Red said:

I updated profile with zip.

Dat's the problem ... zIp is very inconsistent ... sometime works, mostly doesn't.  Use City, State or just State

Martinique!  That's fantastic.  But it sort of excludes me with riding wit uz guys much.

I already had city & state in my profile.  I did not show on the US map.  I added the zip and figured it'd be good.

Martinique.  Not bad.  It could have been a lot worse. 

I'll go back, delete the zip and see if I'm welcome back in the states.

IT WORKED.  As Chuck Berry put it, 

"Did I miss the skyscrapers, did I miss the long freeway?
From the coast of California to the shores of Delaware Bay
You can bet your life I did, till I got back to the U. S. A."
Edited by Red
added info for clarification
  • Like 1

Just noted on our new Map page that there is a "calendar icon" for the yearly event at "Cedar Key".   I think having all scheduled BMWST events on the map would be a nice feature.  What do you think?  Calling @chrisolson

6 hours ago, Endobobdds said:

Just noted on our new Map page that there is a "calendar icon" for the yearly event at "Cedar Key".   I think having all scheduled BMWST events on the map would be a nice feature.  What do you think?  Calling @chrisolson

The Member Map has the capability to toggle on or off just the Calendar pins (box in upper right) and if you do, you'll see 7 events spread out across the US. Clicking on them takes you to a Calendar Event Listing.

How do Events get on the Member Map ?  Simple.  Events created on the BWMSportTouring Calendar are automatically linked to the Member Map ... no additional effort required and in fact its the only way Events can appear on the Map. 

Its been my opinion ever since seeing  the Calendar in this software that it could be a great marketing tool for events big and small.  Calendar entries are shown on the front page and will also soon show within the Ride and Event Planning Forum main page on a sidebar. 

As a supplement to an Event post,  supporting entries created on the Calendar also can provide an additional means to indicate who's going.  This could have some advantages for event coordinators as it provides a downloadable list ... and gives a visual way to see who is attending all in one place.  Lots of options when using an entry on the Calendar ... pics, links to Galleries, google location maps and more.  Take a look at May 25 on the Calendar for the entry for START and you can see some of the potential (thanks @Kinsleyand @Indy Dave !! )

All members have the option to create a Calendar Event entry, no pre-qual or Management permission required.  Do note however, that Management does check entries periodically ... so play nicely  :thumbsup: 

If folks need any assistance on how to create an entry (very simple) or how to "spice up the listing " (a bit harder) please feel free to contact me.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

One suggestion - please put some text at the top of the Member Map page instructing people how to add themselves. I couldn't figure it out and had to ask my daughter's help. Good thing she's smart. :19:

P.S. Yes, she typed this.

As my wife says I'm not from this planet I'm afraid I cannot include this information.......:3::3: :3:.........several members here may be able to confirm this......

Steve

• 2 weeks later...