IGNORED

2001 R1100RT: what's this connector for?

Miguel!

I'm making an educated guess as I have an 1150.

From the location and the fact that there is only two pins, I think its a connection point for an AUX power outlet. The 1150RT has a connection in the same location.

Is it on the same fuse circuit as the dashboard aux connector? Is it powered on all the time or switched off with the ignition. Thx 

Miguel 

You could get either one or two power outlets . My 1100 has the single. 

They are always "hot" and I have no idea if It uses the same circuit as the dash receptacle .

it can be used like the dash plug, to either supply power or to charge the battery  with the correct adapter to your charger. 

Thx all. I got it. 

I'm not sure I need want a outlet/inlet  there but where do you get such things?

Miguel 

49 minutes ago, Miguel! said:

Thx all. I got it. 

I'm not sure I need want a outlet/inlet  there but where do you get such things?

Miguel 

For sure not it isn't needed, but I liked that position for my heated vest as it kept the handlebar area clear of wires and off the paint on the tank.

21 minutes ago, Miguel! said:

Paul, where'd you get the inlet/outlet plug? Miguel!

Did you not see my post?

Also try Beemer boneyard, and any other bike breaker.

36 minutes ago, Miguel! said:

Paul, where'd you get the inlet/outlet plug? Miguel!

Afternoon Miguel!

Put  '  BMW 1100RT accessory outlet  '  into E-Bay search.

A couple of dual outlet plates complete with 2 into 1 wire pig tail for around $39.00.

A single outlet plate with outlet for just under $24.00

Parts, plate,  pig tail, & outlets are WELL over $100.00 from BMW.

28 minutes ago, AndyS said:

Did you not see my post?

Also try Beemer boneyard, and any other bike breaker.

Andy, I apologize, I didn't see your post. I looked at the time stamp and I was posting at just about the same time as you so yours didn't show up till I went back and looked. Thanks for the follow thru

Thanks for the link and tops to BB. 

Cheers.

Miguel

11 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Afternoon Miguel!

Put  '  BMW 1100RT accessory outlet  '  into E-Bay search.

A couple of dual outlet plates complete with 2 into 1 wire pig tail for around $39.00.

A single outlet plate with outlet for just under $24.00

Parts, plate,  pig tail, & outlets are WELL over $100.00 from BMW.

Thanks DR. I did and found a bunch. Thanks! Miguel

Are there other connectors hidden beneath the fairing iron the body I should know about? 

THanks

Miguel!

47 minutes ago, Miguel! said:

Are there other connectors hidden beneath the fairing iron the body I should know about? 

THanks

Miguel!

Afternoon Miguel!

Yes, there are some hanging or taped up that go to other accessories.

The main one that comes to mind is just forward of where your current picture shows (about mid bike L/H side)-- there is a 3 wire connector there that hooks to an idle trim pot (used on European/ non US)   1100 bikes that didn't come with an o2 sensor or catalytic converter). On U.S. bikes it is not connected to anything.

1 hour ago, dirtrider said:

Afternoon Miguel!

Yes, there are some hanging or taped up that go to other accessories.

The main one that comes to mind is just forward of where your current picture shows (about mid bike L/H side)-- there is a 3 wire connector there that hooks to an idle trim pot (used on European/ non US)   1100 bikes that didn't come with an o2 sensor or catalytic converter). On U.S. bikes it is not connected to anything.

Any under the front fairing?

Thx DR

Miguel!

13 minutes ago, Miguel! said:

Any under the front fairing?

Thx DR

Miguel!

Afternoon Miguel!

Could be, depends on what is installed now & what the bike was built with. If it has a factory radio prep installed but no radio then it could have a number of unused connectors under the front.

Best bet is (IF) you find any un-connected connectors is  just post a picture here & we will identify them for you.  

12 hours ago, Miguel! said:

THanks

Miguel!

Miguel, 

you can also add the expensive (I think) but worth its weight in 10mm sockets, “Authorities Sidestand Harness” 

that permits your bike to run with the side stand down .

I installed one in my ‘99 RT and wished I had done it sooner . 

I was able to install it without removing the entire left panel , just a few screws to flex it and the black trim panel .

5 hours ago, Tri750 said:

Miguel, 

you can also add the expensive (I think) but worth its weight in 10mm sockets, “Authorities Sidestand Harness” 

that permits your bike to run with the side stand down .

I installed one in my ‘99 RT and wished I had done it sooner . 

I was able to install it without removing the entire left panel , just a few screws to flex it and the black trim panel .

Morning  Tri750

You don't need the expensive RT-P harness & switch as the same thing can be done with a cheap relay, & a couple lengths of wire. (I used to modify all my 1100 bikes).

16 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Morning  Tri750

You don't need the expensive RT-P harness & switch as the same thing can be done with a cheap relay, & a couple lengths of wire. (I used to modify all my 1100 bikes).

Oh, I'm sure a lot of things electrical could be done without buying a factory plug and play harness or at times paying a guy to do it. 

Unfortunately , I have neither the talents to do it  or the desire to burn down my neighborhood .

Counterpoint...

My other bike has a non interlocked side stand (meaning it will run with the stand down). It is designed to swing up on its own (using springs) once the pressure is take off it by standing the bike up straight. One day, it didn't come all the way up. I discovered it wasn't up when I did a low speed left. Fortunately, it just pushed me back upright and not over. I re-lubed the side stand and all is well in the world. 

Given the potential for disaster, I'd never defeat the side stand interlock, personally. Also, it's possible, depending on the slope of the ground and the attitude of the bike relative to the slope, for the bike to vibrate off the side stand and do a solo high-side on its own. As is commonly said, "Don't ask me how I know." I never leave a bike running on a side stand as a result. 

Cheers!

Miguel!

5 hours ago, Tri750 said:

Oh, I'm sure a lot of things electrical could be done without buying a factory plug and play harness or at times paying a guy to do it. 

Unfortunately , I have neither the talents to do it  or the desire to burn down my neighborhood .

Afternoon Miguel!

It's not defeating the side stand interlock as the engine will still quit when bike is put in gear with side stand down. The modification ONLY allows the engine to run with side stand down in neutral.  

1 hour ago, dirtrider said:

Thanks for that clarification DR. I wasn't aware of that feature. As you know, I'm relatively new to BMW and every brand and model have their idiosyncrasies. 

Cheers!

Miguel

35 minutes ago, Miguel! said:

Thanks for that clarification DR. I wasn't aware of that feature. As you know, I'm relatively new to BMW and every brand and model have their idiosyncrasies. 

Cheers!

Miguel

Afternoon Miguel!

If your 1100RT will run with the side stand down in neutral then it has been modified (or it is/was an RT-P) . 

Even (if) modified it s-h-o-u-l-d quit when put in gear with side stand down. 

On 3/7/2019 at 6:09 AM, dirtrider said:

Hi DR.

I did some searching here and didn't find a diagram of this homemade circuit.  If you have that handy could you post it.  If not a few clicks to post it, no worries I'll do a broader search, or try and figure it out.

41 minutes ago, Paul De said:

Hi DR.

I did some searching here and didn't find a diagram of this homemade circuit.  If you have that handy could you post it.  If not a few clicks to post it, no worries I'll do a broader search, or try and figure it out.

Morning Paul

I do have one (someplace) I had a hand drawn on paper that I used to give out copies to fellow riders (don't think I have  an electronic one but I probably should make one)

I will dig through my paper files this weekend & if can find it will run a copy & post it for you.

All it does is use the trans neutral switch to trigger a relay that shunts the side stand switch with trans in neutral.

1 hour ago, Paul De said:

Hi DR.

Afternoon Paul

Check your PM's, I sent you a relay diagram.