IGNORED

First Gear Pants Repairs??

USAF1

Have a number of holes/tears in the right knee area and the back side of the left thigh from the "HIT" I went thru back at the end of November. Contacted First Gear to ask about repairs, and got the "We don't know..." reply.

Anybody here have work like this done.....who did you use??

TIA

Pat

If it happend to me, and I love my First Gear pants, I would have my wife do it. I just bought her an $8000 sewing machine so it better work on motorcycle clothes! grin.gif

Pat,

After my 'low-side' I just replaced mine. If you do stay with First Gear, you can usually find them on sale at several places. BTW, if you don't have them, upgrade the armor. The foam stuff is, IMHO, cosmetic protection at best.

Regards,

Mike O

Pat, Pat, Pat. Don't you know that it is bad luck to ride "crashed gear"? wave.gif

let me tell you about an experience I had getting my boots repaired. I had a really nice pair of boots that I had loved for over 100k. The zipper had broken, and needed repaired, as well as a new shifter pad put on. I took them to a local guy and explained to him what I wanted, and he said "no problemo". He said "I will make them look like new again for $65.00. I thought about it and said go ahead, but those are Gortex lined, and whatever you do, don't put a needle through them. He said OK. Well, it took almost two weeks, and the day I went to get them, I just about crapped my shorts. The ass hat sewd through the gortex. I started to get very upset, and then I saw the new spray finish he applied to the boots. I could have found a better pair of boots at the Salvation Army. I was sooo mad that I actually paid the guy, and left. My boots were ruined, and I was out the 65 bux. I tried to use them, but of course they leaked.

The moral of the story is...

If ya got money that you can afford to lose, go ahead. Since I commute every day, I can't afford to show up to work wet, so I will never make that mistake again. The pants are $150.00, and fixing them right may cost almost half, with no guarantees of them not being done correctly.

If I were in need of some pants now, I would go to REI and get some black ripstop tape, it's like 3 bux o roll. This will make a temporary repair, and last for maybe two or three months, so you can order new ones.

I know, kind of a long winded post, but I would feel better knowing you wern't riding around in a pair of cursed britches.

Gees you guys....these pants weren't even 60 days old when this happened!! Will have to take all your advice under consideration......at least until another $170 falls into my pocket. grin.gifgrin.gif

First it was the the BONEHEAD hitting me from behind..... then the Septic tank/drain field...(and the yard STILL looks like sh.. errrr.....dirt)....then the hot water pipe under the foundation.....the video camera that got jammed (haven't even gotten to watch the videos of my grandson. bncry.gif) I need a WAY BETTER paying job..... wave.gif

Pat

Shawnee Bill

New Enough has HT Overpants on closeout sale prices right now.

Very limited sizes though.

For temporary waterproofing you can get a pair of $10 rainpants from Wal-Mart and wear them under your overpants blush.gif to keep you dry. Sorta troublesome but it'll work.

And I have a question, how do you feel about the protection the HT pants gave you? Was it adequate?

Having had similar experience, I found needle and thread to work nicely on my repairs. I have been riding in the repaired pants for about three years.

I really depends on the damage. I did not use, nor do I own, a sewing machine. I went about my repair the old-fashioned way.

BTW: First Gear Airflow riding pants. I suffered no bumps, bruises, scrapes, or scratches from my incident (nice euphamism for Foul-Up). I had a broken ankle, but that was not the pants' fault.

BILL and RFC

Thanks, both of you.

The pants were great protection!!

NewEnough didn't have my size left...

But you guys did give me the idea of checking out the nearest fabric stores, and see if I can't find some of that 300 Denier material to sew back onto the holes. Heck.....I just realized that I have a pair of older pants (blown out zippers) that I could cut some off of and use!! dopeslap.gif Duuuuuh!! dopeslap.gif

Hellooooooo....where am I?

Thanks again,

Pat

Personally, I would send them in and see what they could do. Firstgear is real good in the customer service area. Worst case they send them back unrepaired, your out the cost of shipping to them.

Have a number of holes/tears in the right knee area and the back side of the left thigh from the "HIT" I went thru back at the end of November. Contacted First Gear to ask about repairs, and got the "We don't know..." reply.

Anybody here have work like this done.....who did you use??

TIA

Pat

I would visit the local backpacking store. Not the local football/baseball store, but the places that cater to backpackers. We backpackers often tear our nylon gear and most good stores have a contact where tents and heavy Cordura backpacks can be stitched.

Archived