IGNORED

Air filter replacement schedule

ncsonderman

ncsonderman

Is everyone convinced that they need to change their air filter at every 6K interval? (Or whatever interval you service your bike wink.gif)

I've always used K & N filters, but haven't splurged on the RT yet. Any opinions on this?

No advise needed if the filter looks like my offices' air ducts (dust bunny heaven!)

Through the warranty period it will get changed as per the service schedule. After that I'll change it when It gets dirty.

As for the K&N. I have one that was used for about 3k then replaced w/ the OEM paper filter. $25 & shipping and it's yours. On the RT it's of no benifit, besides not filtering as well as the stock one.

Joe Frickin' Friday
I've always used K & N filters, but haven't splurged on the RT yet. Any opinions on this?

No. Nobody here has any opinions on K&N filters.

Joe Frickin' Friday
I just blow out the filter with compressed air for about 40,000 miles...

Dang, that's a lotta hose... eek.gifdopeslap.gifgrin.gif

I used it on mine. The power improved dramatically. So did the surging and PTTR. dopeslap.gif

ShovelStrokeEd

I'm pretty sure the recommended service interval is 24K miles and even that varies with conditions. I inspect about every 12K and if I don't see anything revolting, back it goes. Only takes about 5 minutes on the S.

My Mama told me if you can't say anything good, don't say anything, I therefore have no opinions about the K&N.

Is everyone convinced that they need to change their air filter at every 6K interval? (Or whatever interval you service your bike wink.gif)

Of course not! Replacing an air filter at 6K is ridiculous, unless you drive constantly in a dust storm!

The "recommended" replacement interval is a worst case sceneario (after all, BMW has no idea where you ride). In most places, a filter will last 5 to 10 times that long, with the occasional blowing out with compressed air if necessary.

BMW air filters are grossly oversized. Keep in mind that your bike runs at a much smaller average throttle opening than a car does (there is less mass to push around), yet its filter is not that much smaller than a car's. The message in this is that religiously replacing the filter after 6K is a total waste of money!

Bob.

ncsonderman

Much of what I was thinking. I've heard of the minimal improvements (if any) with the K & N on the RT so I thought that I'd ask.

As for the compressed air, sounds like a plan grin.gif

Just found out that I've got Friday off so it's time to adjust the valves, blow out that filter (if needed) and pour in some synthetic.

grin.gifWife's out of town, thunderstorms are forecast. What a way to spend a day. That reminds me that I need to stop and pick up some more Yeungling! clap.gif

Yesterday, my oilhead got it's spring service, valve adjust, throttle body balance, spark plugs and AIR FILTER.

Filter had 9000 miles of use and when removed had dark dirt marks (showing it's on the job, good !), something like dust bunnies and feathers (!). True, NM has muy mas desert (that's the sandy one, not w/whipped cream) yet my RT hasn't done any dirt road riding. FWIW, factory airfilter schedule is 12k miles with 6k mile (or more frequent) interval if riding in dusty conditions.

Ncsonderman, if I had the service to do over, I'd trust the little arrow on the cam sproket and forgo pulling (and the hassle of replacing) the rubber plug to timing marks. I was pleased to have compressed air as prior to removing plugs, all sorts of bugs and such came flying out on air stream.

Lastly, is that Yeungling the same beer made in Latrobe PA ? (if so, bueno cervasa)

Wooster, eighteen days from cross country ride

uranium pills make atomic ache

Archived