Autocom/Garmin 276C... 'fuzzy' voice commands.

Lion_lady

Got the Pro7 Sport. Have been playing with different cable connections. Before heading out yesterday, I put everything back where it 'should' be, and for the first half of my ride, was happy.

XM connected to Music input, GPS and Cell phone connected to the splitter (#57).

Noted that I still was not hearing any voice prompts from my cell phone... "Name Dial" etc. But I decided that could wait for another ride. When we originally installed the system, my cell phone worked magnificently with the PRo7, but back then the XM was not part of the equation.

AT first, "Mrs Peal" (the name we've given to our British English speaking GPS) came through loud and clear. But,

as time passed (the ride continued), the GPS voice prompts became less and less clear, overridden by static. By the time I was halfway to my destination, the prompts were unintelligible.

I CAN just look at the screen to check, but that defeats the purpose of having the GPS hooked to the Autocom.

I enjoyed dinner with some new riding friends (couple hours).

Returned to the bike and as soon as the system is powered up the voice prompts are static laden. Within about 5 minutes, all I can hear is quiet crackling and a vague and unintelligible woman's voice in the background with each command.

Is this some sort of bizarre malfunction of the noise cancellation feature?

I noted that if I played with the volume control on the GPS itself, then I could get the voice prompts back briefly... but with several minutes of GPS 'silence' then the commands go back to mostly static.

This whole scenario played out when we originally set up the Autocom system, but I've just 'lived with it.' Now I'm getting ticked off.

P

It sounds like you have connected the Garmin directly to the Autocom - that's a no-no.

The Garmin audio circuit requires an isolator in the line when connecting to the Autocom. Without it, you get garbled audio and may even damage the audio circuit on the Garmin.

I use a 1:1 audio transformer: Mouser part # 42TM030, link here .

As you can see, it's not very expensive at $1.68. I put it in a small plastic box with audio jacks on the input and output, and then plug a cable from the Garmin into one jack, and the Autocom into the other. With earplugs, I can hear the Garmin clearly when it is set to audio level 3.

I have worked out lots of issues with my autocom (avtive 7 sport) and gps (376c) getting everyting working pretty well on the new bike but your problem is new to me...

If you haven't already, I would first try the 276 in a vehicle using the speaker/power cable provided with the unit. If the 'bloody lousy' voice commands continue, well, you know how to proceed. Take it up with Garmin. If not then its a bike/autocom problem. Take it from there.

I would try the speaker/power cord on the bike in the driveway where you can hear the voice commands with the bike running. You don't need to have the cord plugged into a 12v source. Just plugged into he Garmin. Try it in the house if you want with the unit running on the battery. The battery will power the speaker and you can hear the voice commands.

Since your fault is intermittnet and comes and goes I suspect it is the autocom, but you need to eliminate the Garmin first.

Jim

Well, not sure about the big 'no,no' on the garmin direct to the autocom...mine is plugged directly into the autocom. However I have a 'audio out' 3.5m female on my garmin (376) that allows the audio lead to plug 'into' the music jack on the autocom. There was some noise that was annoying so I tried part # 64 from autocom and along with some 're-routing' of the lead, its quiet now.

Jim

I've got the GPS plugged into the splitter that I was told by the US Autocom folks was the one to use with the 276c and my cell phone (part #57).

Regularly use the GPS in the car with the Garmin audio cable. Also used the GPS on the bike with the audio cable, PRE Autocom.

The problem seems to be with whatever the Pro7 is doing and I'm trying to figure out WHAT is going on.

P

John Bentall

Make sure all the audio connections are scrupulously clean - I use a can of electrical contact cleaner.

Then I also use Blu-Tak (like plasticine) to hold the connections into the body of the Autocom - the manufacturing tolerances of the 3.5mm stereo plugs are such that my music input waggles around inside the Autocom Pro-M1.

Because you are using part 57 - you have isolation on both inputs already - so you obviously shouldn't need any more.

You should check the audio quality of the cellphone to see if you are going to fix both problems at the same time.

The Autocom guys are obsessed with quality (damp PTT switches notwithstanding), so stick with it!

Does the XM radio lead have isolation now, such that there is no crackle from that area?

Make sure all the audio connections are scrupulously clean - I use a can of electrical contact cleaner.

Then I also use Blu-Tak (like plasticine) to hold the connections into the body of the Autocom - the manufacturing tolerances of the 3.5mm stereo plugs are such that my music input waggles around inside the Autocom Pro-M1.

Because you are using part 57 - you have isolation on both inputs already - so you obviously shouldn't need any more.

You should check the audio quality of the cellphone to see if you are going to fix both problems at the same time.

The Autocom guys are obsessed with quality (damp PTT switches notwithstanding), so stick with it!

Does the XM radio lead have isolation now, such that there is no crackle from that area?

XM comes through clear and clean.

I could be rushing the 'delay' in the cell phone connection, but have not had anyone phone my cell phone to check how (or if) it is working.

Not sure how cleaning the contacts is gonna help when the signal if it is fine at the start of the ride, but fades with time.

P

Paul_Burkett

One of my problems is that I get predominantly left channel when listening to the I-Pod, but if I pull the plug out of the Auto-Com about 1/4th of an inch, I will get stereo. What's up with that?

John Bentall

XM comes through clear and clean.

I could be rushing the 'delay' in the cell phone connection, but have not had anyone phone my cell phone to check how (or if) it is working.

Not sure how cleaning the contacts is gonna help when the signal if it is fine at the start of the ride, but fades with time.

P

The idea of cleaning the contacts is to prepare them properly before using the Blu-Tak to hold the plugs in place. Once the Blu-tak is in place I don't have to touch the connectors from one year to the next.

As a previous contributor to this thread said, the plugs are sensitive to position in the socket, and he has to pull the plug out a fraction to get reliable stereo instead of mono.

Archived