IGNORED

quick tire changing question

KER

just ordered all the equipment for changing tires, only question that i really have is regarding the valve stems. are they supposed to be replaced with every new tire or is it best just to reuse them again?

Shawnee Bill

I keep planning on changing mine, but then they have only 11 years and 70,000 miles on them. And the high cost of replacement, at least a buck.

Seriously, lot of different opinions on this, and I'll probably change mine before my next out of town trip.

Or maybe not, they look good and don't leak.

just ordered all the equipment for changing tires, only question that i really have is regarding the valve stems. are they supposed to be replaced with every new tire or is it best just to reuse them again?

Yes! New valve stem with each new tire. If you have replaced the stock rubber valve stems with the 45 degree metal ones....nevermind. smile.gif

Mick

Joe Frickin' Friday
Yes! New valve stem with each new tire.

confused.gif If they'll last at least 50K miles on my car (upper limit of car tire life), why should I undertake the hassle and expense of changing them every 6K miles on my bike?

My personal feeling is they do not need to be changed every time. I had one valve stem go bad on my 93 K1100RS and that was after 10 years and multiple tire changes. The bike had over 60K miles on it at the time.

russell_bynum

If they'll last at least 50K miles on my car (upper limit of car tire life), why should I undertake the hassle and expense of changing them every 6K miles on my bike?

My thoughts exactly.

Aluminum_Butt

Slight hijack...

Besides pure mileage/time, what are the signs you'd look for in determining whether to go ahead and replace a valve stem?

Shawnee Bill
Slight hijack...

Besides pure mileage/time, what are the signs you'd look for in determining whether to go ahead and replace a valve stem?

I think the normal signs of rubber deterioration, small cracks, scaly surface showing when flexed.

Archived