IGNORED

Bizarre Motorcycle Laws

RandyShields

Hi  Randy. Joel and I were pulled over for doing this at a left turn signal in south GA. When we explained to the cop the problem he let us go. 

Nice to know that my all scofflaw red light running at a certain red light that refuses to change was in fact legal.  One I-43 off ramp near my home never ever trips when I'm on the bike.  Another intersection I frequent is magnetic inductance and I can get it to trigger if I ride right over the embedded coil and drop my center stand as I roll to a stop at the the light.  Optical controlled light one tend to be better at seeing you but still not perfect.

I thought this was a law here, too, but after checking it out, that's not the case.

Here in Georgia, the "Dead Red" law passed the Senate in 2015, but was ultimately vetoed by the Governor.  It is not in effect here in Georgia at this point in time.

Yep ... I had heard about that law and there are really differing opinions on it ...at least in NC.   When working uptown on at least 3 occasions I actually stopped officers on foot patrol downtown Charlotte and asked them ....  " so when can a motorcycle actually go through a red light if the light does not recognize the bike"?    I pretty much got 3 DIFFERENT answers.   Most said you really cannot but if you do you should wait for at least 2 signal cycles. or about 3 minutes.  One actually said you can't so you should just turn right!  HA!    I frequently see NC and SC state troopers at Motorcycles if Charlotte and next time I am going to pose the same question to them   There is a light up on Business 16 at the intersection of Killian Farm Road that never recognizes my bike when heading home and onto 16.  I usually wait a good bike .... check for any traffic (or Cops) and then make my left turn.   It would be pretty hard for a rational officer to give you a ticket for doing so if you did it in a very carful manner.  But you never know. 

After several years of effort Ohio's legislature finally passed a "dead-red" law.

And reversed it in less than 30 days.

On the bright side, red light cameras were effectively banished. 

As a practical matter, if you are checking for traffic carefully enough to safely proceed on red, you can check for LEOs at the same time.

11 hours ago, RandyShields said:

Saw this today.  Most are obviously archaic, but no. 4 -- the "dead red" law -- is one I didn't know about.  It lets you treat a red light that does not pick up the bike as a stop sign.

Interesting.

Randy

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/motorcycles/11-off-the-wall-motorcycle-laws-for-2019/ar-BBTP1aJ?ocid=spartandhp

Yep, do that one quite a bit.

Been the law in Wisconsin as long as I can remember. I have done it on numerous occasions. If it a signal that I ride through often, I contact whom ever controls the signal, they have always adjusted the signal.

In Washington state it’s illegal to back your bike into the curb. It’s supposed to be parallel to the curb and six inches away from the curb. How’s that for a bunch of BS!

Bill_Walker
On 2/23/2019 at 8:47 PM, gordiet said:

In Washington state it’s illegal to back your bike into the curb. It’s supposed to be parallel to the curb and six inches away from the curb. How’s that for a bunch of BS!

Seriously?  That is contrary to what is prescribed by every bit of motorcycle instruction I've ever read, and on a road with significant crown is likely to make your bike fall over.  IIRC, back wheel to the curb is the law in California.  At any rate, the California Motorcylists Handbook says "Park at an angle of 45 to 90 degrees to the curb with a wheel or fender touching the curb."

• Like 2
On 2/23/2019 at 10:47 PM, gordiet said:

Hard to understand the logic on that law.  I would suspect that Washington law stipulates that a motorcycle is entitled to the full width of the lane, just like as if it were a car.  This is supposed to stop another vehicle from crowding a motorcycle out of its lane, including another motorcycle.  The exception in Wisconsin is two motorcycles can share a lane is both agree to do so.  In the parking case then a motorcycle should have a right to the full parking lane and if angle parked regardless of a parking lane designated as parallel parking as long as the front tire dose not protrude into the next (driving) lane.  I'm surprised that the ABATE of Washington, or the AMA didn't challenge that one

I am not sure if it is still a law in Virginia Beach, but if more than 1 motorcycle was in a parking space, all motorcycles would get a parking ticket.  The City of Virginia Beach has a massive parking issue with not enough spaces and they have this rule.

RAMBLIN RED

I was told by a Charlotte cop (this was in the 70s) that NC law said you must stop for a red light... but there was no law saying you had to wait for the green.....I wouldn't test it.....