IGNORED

Right Now!

TEWKS

I bet you are losing a lot, it’s probably not the most efficient system out there. There’s a fan that kicks on when it heats up and pushers warm air out into the room. 

This is the one I installed in our last house.

image.thumb.png.e385e5d6efb97a8024b5962e65be5ca3.png

The PVC, I made, so the grandboy (just learning to walk around that time) had a blockade, it went wall to wall.  Funny thing, we called several contractors to install the pipe outside the house, none would do it, so, have saw will cut.  I ran it up my damn self.

image.thumb.png.b0c568606cf3686b825cf84c721a7c32.png

• Like 1

Our problem is that if we use the fireplace all weekend, the furnace doesn't kick on, and the basement gets COLD! Frozen pipes can be an issue, so every now and then i crank the thermostat to max to kick the furnace on for a while to pump warm air into the basement.

First world problems.

• Like 1

Last year BC (before Covid) my wife and I had breakfast at a Golden Corral. That is when I noticed, while they are wood burning fireplaces, they also have a gas feed to start the logs.  Very strange setup, but apparently it works for them.

The last time I had a wood burning fireplace it also prevented the furnace from turning on.  The opposite side of the house got down right cold. I guess it is a good reason for multi zoned HVAC systems.

47 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

Our problem is that if we use the fireplace all weekend, the furnace doesn't kick on, and the basement gets COLD! Frozen pipes can be an issue, so every now and then i crank the thermostat to max to kick the furnace on for a while to pump warm air into the basement.

First world problems.

I dunno if you have gas of any sort, but we have one of these in the basement.  Since we mostly use our gas fireplace on the main floor, the heat pump never kicks on and the basement does get nippy.  If we go down there, crank the other little fireplace and toasts it right up.

Cost was minimal to move the propane line to where we wanted it and this little guy has an automatic blower.

Pleasant Hearth Gas Fireplaces #VFF2-PH20DB

We have a wood burner in the basement too but we don't fire it up too often. But it did come in handy when the furnace went out one winter, we were able to keep the house warm for three days before the new furnace got installed.

I will throw an electric heater in the bathroom to warm it up once in a while.

• Smile 1

Added our last Chief’s portrait to the retirement wall. Nothing noteworthy except...:/ the tool at hand wasn’t a hammer.  Now the funny part, I sent a pic to the retired Chief down in Florida. :thumbsup: I didn’t realize the Chief’s phone is passed on to the new Chief. :facepalm: Thankfully he has a sense of humor. :classic_biggrin:

47EEA536-4390-4111-A648-0F0A2808299B.jpeg

FFF8189A-8CE7-4D43-8A6B-1C4EA29BB356.jpeg

Yeah, it’s coming down pretty good right now! Lucky I guess, we’ve had three storms this year and I’ve worked every one of them. :)

16310DE7-57BA-4D74-90EE-7A88EC1EBEE2.jpeg

New knit cap though so I’ve got that going for me. :D

7498247C-8008-4958-B99B-A9D40C2FA2E6.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Smile 1
3 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Yeah, it’s coming down pretty good right now! Lucky I guess, we’ve had three storms this year and I’ve worked every one of them. :)

New knit cap though so I’ve got that going for me. :D

7498247C-8008-4958-B99B-A9D40C2FA2E6.jpeg

Happy Man...!  :wave:

• Like 2
On 2/1/2021 at 3:58 PM, TEWKS said:

58DE3A94-3FF8-476E-B911-F7DF790AD2C9.jpeg

Sooo it took about 2.5 days for that SoCal rainbow to rain.... um, snow on your Parade:grin:

• Haha 1

After years of utility right of way lawsuits, and endless marine fisheries studies , we are finally getting our new draw bridge that opens maybe once a week . The funny thing is that the trawlers that use it have another course they could take and would only take about 20 minutes longer

1B978B73-86DF-484B-84FC-E6A8230F5B5E.jpeg

2 hours ago, taylor1 said:

The funny thing is that the trawlers that use it have another course they could take and would only take about 20 minutes longer

1B978B73-86DF-484B-84FC-E6A8230F5B5E.jpeg

How much fuel does it cost a trawler 40 minutes round trip?

John Ranalletta
40 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

How much fuel does it cost a trawler 40 minutes round trip?

Quit your bitchin'.  This is one of those "shovel-ready" jobs Amurica needs.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, John Ranalletta said:

Quit your bitchin'.  This is one of those "shovel-ready" jobs Amurica needs.

Yep and we also need those trawlers to keep the seafood prices down.

Higher fuel costs, higher shrimp prices.......I'm good with the drawbridge making the shovel ready jobs and the trawlers cutting the corners to save 40 minutes of fuel.

I guess the current fuel tax is funding this project, I dunno.

John Ranalletta
19 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

Yep and we also need those trawlers to keep the seafood prices down.

Higher fuel costs, higher shrimp prices.......I'm good with the drawbridge making the shovel ready jobs and the trawlers cutting the corners to save 40 minutes of fuel.

I guess the current fuel tax is funding this project, I dunno.

Doesn't matter to me, but "we are finally getting our new draw bridge that opens maybe once a week"

2 minutes ago, John Ranalletta said:

Doesn't matter to me, but "we are finally getting our new draw bridge that opens maybe once a week"

Ok, is there a point? 

Since a current draw bridge exists and was in use (no matter how rarely), was the current drawbridge current as far as standards/specs.  will the new draw bridge get used more?   Will the trawlers now use the new drawbridge to cut the 40 minute round trip?

Apparently, "After years of utility right of way lawsuits, and endless marine fisheries studies", some people are making the decision that the drawbridge is needed.

4 minutes ago, roadscholar said:

My wifes brother in law has a seafood business in Hackberry, La.  Fishermen (shrimp, crab, fish), bring the seafood to him, he buys, then transports to restaurants and other businesses.

somebody has to be the middle.

• Like 1
John Ranalletta
1 minute ago, Rougarou said:

Ok, is there a point? 

Since a current draw bridge exists and was in use (no matter how rarely), was the current drawbridge current as far as standards/specs.  will the new draw bridge get used more?   Will the trawlers now use the new drawbridge to cut the 40 minute round trip?

Apparently, "After years of utility right of way lawsuits, and endless marine fisheries studies", some people are making the decision that the drawbridge is needed.

Just quoting the OP.  If the locals are spending the $, go for it.

Well here is how close I follow the politics of what is happening in my own back yard. Not that there is much. It was  announced that it will no longer be a draw bridge but rather a high rise. It's been a while , but 95 % of the people I had talked to thought a draw was a waste. For the maintenance and the amount it was being used ,there was little justification for it. Don't forget it has to be manned 24/7 . As far as the fuel cost for the shrimpers ,they all run diesels .My friend said he can go offshore and trawl all day long and not burn $100 worth of fuel.

Cruising around the hood this afternoon

D86FF72D-599F-4F5E-B3B4-9D8DA171BA6F.thumb.jpeg.43419a6ebae5a3ed1179a25ef9def246.jpeg

in the little tin box (I’ve always thought Japanese cars were made from recycled Budweiser cans : ) but one thing I noticed is people seem to like it, many wave or smile and some point when they see it, like it just might be a cartoon or some kind of clown car.

C05D26E4-78BA-4A0B-85D4-81FE9E252D78.thumb.jpeg.98ecb38d1b60d50ed278c05b9ff7ae28.jpeg

61255D20-8FAC-4FBA-8BE0-37D1314FA554.thumb.jpeg.c373f2cb11e7d14ba242d4b97c51c4bd.jpeg

4A198E24-7402-44E0-BB4D-F1AB8B963301.thumb.jpeg.3b7406fba9a3ef0b346547fc019b065d.jpeg

9 minutes ago, roadscholar said:

Cruising around the hood this afternoon

D86FF72D-599F-4F5E-B3B4-9D8DA171BA6F.thumb.jpeg.43419a6ebae5a3ed1179a25ef9def246.jpeg

in the little tin box (I’ve always thought Japanese cars were made from recycled Budweiser cans : ) but one thing I noticed is people seem to like it, most wave or smile and some point when they see it, like it’s a clown car.

C05D26E4-78BA-4A0B-85D4-81FE9E252D78.thumb.jpeg.98ecb38d1b60d50ed278c05b9ff7ae28.jpeg

61255D20-8FAC-4FBA-8BE0-37D1314FA554.thumb.jpeg.c373f2cb11e7d14ba242d4b97c51c4bd.jpeg

4A198E24-7402-44E0-BB4D-F1AB8B963301.thumb.jpeg.3b7406fba9a3ef0b346547fc019b065d.jpeg

Don't knock those little Geo's.  I watched a stock one on the "Slickrock" trail at Tellico one year.  Granted, there were about four rednecks pulling on the rope (yes a real rope) as "assistance", but they beat the living crap outta that little thing and it kept going and going.

Example of Slickrock

That’s one of the reasons I got it, it’s the KLR of SUV’s, slow, cheap, basic as they come and bulletproof. It’s just the prescription when I mis-judge distances in Colorado and am straggling back to camp at night on a two-track 40 miles from anywhere.

From what I've seen that's almost bulletproof would be an older Toyota pickup with the 22re.  You can beat 'em and beat 'em and the truck just looks at you like "is that all you got".

Yep seems to be a favorite of the Taliban and South Carolina bear hunters (it fits between the trees). And as my 6’5 Marine riding buddy said after we encountered some, “this is why Al Qaeda will never invade us here” : )

image.thumb.jpeg.86e4c763890e2a5603e3f7aa637b299d.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Smile 1

Central Texas, just south of Austin. We're in a rare period of cold freezing weather. While a day or two of freezing rain or even snow may occur every few years, we're in a period of cold weather I've never experienced here in the 40 years I've lived in the area, highs the last couple of days have been around freezing and the high isn't expected to reach 40 until Thursday. The forecasted low for Monday is 2 degrees with snow showers. The coldest I remember previously was 9 degrees.

You can see icicles hanging from the railing in the second picture and that while stuff on the grass in the background isn't snow, it's frozen rain.

iceStorm.jpg

icicles.jpg