IGNORED

Right Now!

TEWKS

Dispatch messed up, not our call. But, the old guys decided to give the young guys a break that work the busier engine. :classic_tongue:  Just some smoke from an improperly lit wood stove.

D40C03A4-51A0-4309-B84E-0D5FEE6940E3.jpeg

2 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Dispatch messed up, not our call. But, the old guys decided to give the young guys a break that work the busier engine. :classic_tongue:  Just some smoke from an improperly lit wood stove.

D40C03A4-51A0-4309-B84E-0D5FEE6940E3.jpeg

Close the damper, turn the attic fan on :18:

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Red said:

Probably  a catalytic.  They're touchy to get going as they don't draft so well at the get go.  A ladder truck dispatched to a flu fire?

Exactly right, a draft problem / operator error, thing. The ladder operates as our backup engine when it’s OOS for repairs.

• 2 weeks later...

A coworker’s project.
Over and above the call of Auntie-ness right here.. Her nephew wanted a custom painted flatbed Sprinter for Christmas. So, he’s getting a custom painted flatbed Sprinter for Christmas. :classic_biggrin:

1D3BF6FA-44F9-4718-81E8-2D4515408B12.jpeg

• Haha 1

Seriously, a Sprinter? That's a new one on me. Good on Auntie!

Must be someone he knows and looks up to that has one. Any normal kid would want a hot rod car or jacked up truck!

Good on him.

I wonder if anyone from my High School has a hot rod Ford Grenada? Or a restored one for that matter. I don't remember anyone saying, "man, I can't wait to get my hands on a nice '72 LTD."

• Haha 1
7 hours ago, roadscholar said:

Route men hard at work on the Polar Bear Rally and (new) Trans Ga.. it’s a chilly job but somebody has to do it : )

95AFD046-B2FB-4A9A-891B-341FF61B4DA2.thumb.jpeg.ac28bae2120f8209804cf185dbae48fd.jpeg

So Bill, your tell'in us it was in the 60's there in FL?  :18:

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, Chris K said:

So Bill, your tell'in us it was in the 60's there in FL?  :18:

No it was actually freezing Chris, about 55.. image.gif.e03f75006a096f781ddc4f97a4763eeb.gif

• Haha 2
2 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Did I ever tell you southern peeps just how jealous I am of you? :grin:

E5A00B0B-4922-44F4-9EB7-FA4D93889DD2.jpeg

For you Pat, you'd be welcome down here.......all it takes is a packing and a moving, quite simple if you try.

• Thinking 1
1 minute ago, TEWKS said:

Appreciate that Richard! :thumbsup:

Shhh, don't let it be known that I actually invited a northerner to move down here ;):3:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Heck you're certainly welcome down this way too Pat although I must say the Piedmont area looks awfully inviting. A CADS ride every once in awhile couldn't hurt either (don't want your honorary membership to lapse : )  Speaking of which, this was some of the action after lunch at our Christmas party last week.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
17 hours ago, roadscholar said:

The last time I got to witness Danny riding a motorcycle, he was traveling much faster than that! :burnout::grin:

• Like 1

Good ol Hail Storm blew through here this afternoon.

Little bit of Winter Wonderland in La La Land... 

Just don't drive in it because the idiots think they can go faster in this shit.... 

image.thumb.png.42904b6a7822c3e19efca7e963365443.png

• Like 1

There is NOTHING wrong with being a Swabbie.  Welcome to my world, Yo.

Nice work.   Maybe those fire fighters need to check their boots at the door.   :dontknow:

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, MikeB60 said:

Got the plates set up this afternoon.  Been trying to kill that damn groundhog for a month or so. 

20210117_151407.jpg

So, up at our barn, we planted 12ft sunflowers this past summer.  We noticed that the high leaves were getting eaten and thought deer.  One day, I happen to be outside and noticed that one of the sunflower stalks just slowly bent over........I peaked around the truck and damn groundhog would push the stalk over, climb on top as it was bent, tight-stalk walk up to the leave and start munching.

My barn is on a very slight slope, so I didn't want to take the shot then, as well as a house a few hundred yards behind it.  A few weeks later, I see the groundhog at the bottom of the slope, I got an earthen backstop.  I run inside, grab the M4, take aim and pew.  Groundhog jumps and disappears,.......ain't seen it since.  I dunno if I hit it, winged it, or what, but damn thing is gone.

On 1/2/2021 at 6:21 PM, TEWKS said:

I thought I joined the Fire Dept, Not the Navy...Swab the deck! :grin: 

1F23E488-AC0A-49CA-BB85-25F17788538B.jpeg

D9940057-57AA-4FF9-A8D7-072570088637.jpeg

WTF, that would never pass.  Ain't no shine.  Gotta use a fresh sponge and lay that wax real thick, then buff the crap outta it and make it gloss.  There's a reason the Marines do the tile outside the Ships Captain/Admiral spaces, 'cause we make that blue tile into glass.

• Haha 1
On 11/20/2020 at 1:51 PM, roadscholar said:

B09ECE47-E526-410F-AC94-D4E8696B82D9.thumb.jpeg.60285d253bb7852035aea08a61c4a561.jpeg

Love the photo's balance, the wrap-around porch, the contrasting newness of the MB at an old farmhouse, and the tv antenna on a pole (which millennials would not recognize).  Bill's photos are always interesting on several levels.  jb

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Rougarou said:

WTF, that would never pass.  Ain't no shine.  Gotta use a fresh sponge and lay that wax real thick, then buff the crap outta it and make it gloss.  There's a reason the Marines do the tile outside the Ships Captain/Admiral spaces, 'cause we make that blue tile into glass.

I was actually disappointed in the shine myself. We had sealer (didn’t use) (told not necessary) :dontknow:  But, I think more wax and using a buffer would work as you say. :thumbsup:

When buffing, gotta use the right pads.  There's stripper pads and there's buffing pads, and you gotta use the right buffer too.  You don't want the buffer with the motor on top of the pad for bufffing, you want the one with the on the back,......to "lightly" buff, and "mist" as you buff.

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, TEWKS said:

Might have to wait on the floor buff, flag repair right now. ;)

50A62905-D5EC-43E3-BF30-D83DB3B32E32.jpeg

Don't you have a ladder rig for the high work?

• Like 1

Where's OSHA?

When I was on the Saratoga, in port, the Marines raise and lower the flag each day,....full freakin' blues.

The U.S. flag is on a pole that is angled off the flight deck on the stern.  A particular windy day had the Ensign wrapped around the pole. Prior to evening colors music playing, I gave a "test tug" on the halyard, nope, it wasn't going to come down.  So, when the music finished, I asked the Marine with me if he was going up the pole to get the colors unfouled, "nope",....so, boot me, climb up the pole, looking down from the flight deck to the water below (roughly 50-60ft) and thought "self, this is soooo stoopid", but I got the flag unwrapped and we lowered it.........That'd been a nasty fall into the drink in Mayport and an embarrassing "man overboard" call. 

• Smile 1
  • Haha 2

We were thinking about using the ladder truck because the flag was originally tangled at the top of the pole. But, we managed this way. :)

3 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

Where's OSHA?

What that? :rofl:

The guy on the ladder is six months from retiring and let’s just say, he’s always been the type to just “git it done” and answer later if need be. :classic_biggrin: Gonna miss that.

16 hours ago, BamaJohn said:

Love the photo's balance, the wrap-around porch, the contrasting newness of the MB at an old farmhouse, and the tv antenna on a pole (which millennials would not recognize).  Bill's photos are always interesting on several levels.  jb

Thanks John, I've enjoyed your photos too. I usually stop for a pic of that old house to let TEWKS know when I'm headed for the hills : )

011.JPG

I like the architecture of the still-standing structures from the 1800's but this one has added meaning being a fan of German machinery. It's been on my main backroad route to the mountains and for years there was a small VW repair shop in the outbuilding behind it but is long since gone now.

https://vanishingsouthgeorgia.com/category/bellville-ga/

I did take some B&W photography courses under the tutelage of Evon Streetman at FSU in the 60's/early 70's so maybe a little bit rubbed off, who knows : )  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evon_Streetman

The old South is still out there when you get off the beaten path but it's fading, I figure we better enjoy it while it’s still around.

https://www.saintambrose-church.org/history.html

DF2DE340-AB97-4AC1-B2AA-6A391F3F86C3.thumb.jpeg.9ab82627fc5b39a18dafb3e29d36f079.jpeg

https://vanishingsouthgeorgia.com/2013/02/21/foy-hodges-house-manassas/

A7A49676-3F13-483B-B86A-FC8B9941B9E8.thumb.jpeg.ab261008128308900a6d0f5a9cb37d03.jpeg

https://theforgottensouth.com/antioch-baptist-church-history-crawfordville-georgia/

A857437B-ECE5-439E-BE67-1BBD5F5733DD.thumb.jpeg.04c09ce668304be40fbd1554ad7cbc72.jpeg

• Like 4
On 8/1/2020 at 1:09 PM, MikeB60 said:

20200801_104507.thumb.jpg.9752a7595a3713e6b9ef3d15e77ed545.jpg

Damn! That could be my backyard. My 25 yard pistol range is the target at lower right. 

208278100_Backyard(1).png.6f772dccfb306cf01956974c0f65fb03.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Not much left of this whiskey barrel planter...time marches on....

IMG_5783.jpg.6f6475d0d5a5949ff2750f1010e5d631.jpg

And yes, it does get cold enough for a fire in the wood-burning stove in Alabama...what log house would be complete without one?

IMG_5781.JPG.bd6fe1a48aeb680653756e99a67a02f5.JPG

• Like 2
  • Smile 1
1 hour ago, TEWKS said:

I’m a lazy Gastard. :spittake:

C0D52D01-610E-4A91-B5B3-4EB7356A4CD4.jpeg

Uh, then what's the pipe for,.....decoration?

That ain't a ventless stove?

We went with gas logs in the fireplace when we moved in 'cause I got tired of feeding the stove that I installed in the other house.  Anyway, the gas-staller said they had to put this "dohicky" on the damper to keep it at a crack,.....he also said, what ever you do after the inspector leaves is up to you.  Logs inspected, dohicky is off, damper is closed, and we ain't dead yet, burn the flames daily.  I also have a gas Lowe's corner fireplace in the basement.

25 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

Uh, then what's the pipe for,.....decoration?

It was bought second-hand so I never really got an official explanation of how it operates. But the pipe actually does vent outside. Always assumed it was venting CO. :dontknow:

7 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

It was bought second-hand so I never really got an official explanation of how it operates. But the pipe actually does vent outside. Always assumed it was venting CO. :dontknow:

Hmmm, no tags with model number to look up? 

I'd say if it's for aesthetics, nice and purty, but if'n it's for heat, ain't you losing a lot of heat out that pipe that you're paying the gas company for?

You know me enough, function over form ;);)