IGNORED

Right Now!

TEWKS

1 hour ago, TEWKS said:

celebratory meal

Nice photos, Pat.  Congratulations on doing what seems best for the growing-up person.

• Like 1

Thanks Ken, it’s been a journey/trip with that one for sure! :grin:

Now I had a choice to make this morning. The gym or...I didn’t choose gym. :facepalm:

3D2D35FB-BC17-42D3-8465-836840519F91.jpeg

John Ranalletta
On 1/11/2020 at 7:51 AM, TEWKS said:

Thanks Ken, it’s been a journey/trip with that one for sure! :grin:

Now I had a choice to make this morning. The gym or...I didn’t choose gym. :facepalm:

3D2D35FB-BC17-42D3-8465-836840519F91.jpeg

Just don't leave jelly on the peloton

6 minutes ago, John Ranalletta said:

Just don't leave jelly on the peloton

I cant afford a Peloton, I've got a new BMW to buy next year. :grin:  BTW, good guess it being jelly & cream filled on the right. :lick:

2 hours ago, TEWKS said:

I cant afford a Peloton, I've got a new BMW to buy next year. :grin:  BTW, good guess it being jelly & cream filled on the right. :lick:

• Haha 1

Didn't get a picture, but just saw a guy riding a HD trike on the icy Glenn Hwy near Chugiak, Alaska.  No windshield.  It was just getting dark and the temperature was -11 degrees F. 

• Like 3
On 10/29/2019 at 5:42 PM, roadscholar said:

Baby shark. Gettin ready for some low altitude strafing this weekend, old guy style : )

1AE78F62-ED63-4155-8531-1E3A5BBB3DA8.thumb.jpeg.26af75493be1debd32110da089f6878b.jpeg

327A5BD9-3D45-4DBE-AC98-EFD63FEACB2E.thumb.jpeg.76ba461f8fdab9304ec0a369ab5f33f8.jpeg

@roadscholar, that one looks very familiar.  Kind of like one I traded for my DL650 for a weekend years ago.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Matts_12GS said:

@roadscholar, that one looks very familiar.  Kind of like one I traded for my DL650 for a weekend years ago.

I don't know Matt, I got it from an anesthesiologist in San Marco about six months ago, he had it a long time. I'd say that was a pretty good trade on your part though, shoulda just kept it : )

On 12/21/2019 at 5:27 AM, ESokoloff said:

The 3-S's view, one of my favorites.

The convergence of Stunt Road, Schueren Rd, & Saddle Peak Rd. 

Actually this view is bit down the road as you can't actually see SB Island from the intersection, but close enough for gov't work.  :)

A few weeks later I was riding down Latigo with my former customer Barry on an even clearer day when we saw this view of Santa Barbara Island on the left, and San Nicolas Island on the right.  And a few turns later I was able to see San Clemente Island peeking behind Santa Catalina.  4 Channel Islands in view that day.  Holy smokes.  SN and SC were both about 65mi away.  Sorry we didn't stop for the SC pic.

IMG_0555a.thumb.jpg.ce6f9a1d53e6ca115506348e8fbc274a.jpg

Hey @ESokoloff what is that thing up there?  I ride by it periodically but don't know what it is.

IMG_0539a.thumb.jpg.89fd02fd01cb90bcaf9fcd8a03254bb2.jpg

• Like 2
6 hours ago, longjohn said:

Hey @ESokoloff what is that thing up there?  I ride by it periodically but don't know what it is.

IMG_0539a.thumb.jpg.89fd02fd01cb90bcaf9fcd8a03254bb2.jpg

Remnints of a bygone era.

Its a microwave comunacations (phone) repeater tower. 

I (just) looked up the details of it & the popular story is it's part of the AT&T Long Lines Microwave system installed in the early 50's https://maps.roadtrippers.com/us/calabasas-ca/points-of-interest/topanga-microwave-tower

But acouding to a responder in the comment section of this source.... http://wikimapia.org/7298866/AT-T-Topanga-Ridge-Tower states it was installed in the early 70's as a work around to the encroachment of tall buildings surrounding existing sites.  

I first visited this area in 74 so can't attest to anything earlier then that but tend to believe this version.

Back then there was a fully intact fire lookout tower as well as the cement pad and cistern along with some 2"+ hydrant lines for fire fighting.  

The shack as well as the elivated steel derik that it sat upon are long gone but the concrete remains (built 100+ years ago).   

Lots of change in the last 100 years:(

• Like 1

Latest vanity pic.  Second time out with the Aprilia.  New sticky tires and a dry track made for a much better time than the December track day.

DMR_6509-(ZF-6448-53927-1-001).jpg

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...

Heavy snow falling in NE Atlanta.  Everybody panic!!

For the good news, I get to try out the snow tires for my new RT.  Sweet.   

20200208_101014.thumb.jpg.eca3d5aa485a51bab940ce90498271a4.jpg

It is no Whips' Colorado, but it wanna be!

20200208_110523.thumb.jpg.76416ce19bece3885f79f3281982f584.jpg

• Like 2

Weather is crappy, think I'll head to the range with my daughter and exercise my 2nd Ammendment rights!  Think DyAnne's cat wants to go with!20200208_111013.thumb.jpg.6e955dceae420303b638146bf72a2d5c.jpg

• Like 5
3 hours ago, Marty Hill said:

William, we had about the same bit of snow at my house.  All gone now.

Yeah, the snow melted before I got a chance to try out the snow tires for the RT.  I guess I should have headed north.  Oh, well.  Maybe next time.:18:

Matt, I don't recall if you've ridden one of these with Bill, I did and it was an awesome time! :thumbsup: Old Florida! :clap: I'll be Mickey Mousing it down there about that time. :( Please kill me now! :rofl:

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

Matt, I don't recall if you've ridden one of these with Bill, I did and it was an awesome time! :thumbsup: Old Florida! :clap: I'll be Mickey Mousing it down there about that time. :( Please kill me now! :rofl:

Pat, I rode one of the early ones on my GSA.  That was the day my driveshaft let go and I got to ride back in behind @Huzband

• Like 2

Funny (not really) but my buddies new Tiger ate up a wheel-bearing on day two of our ride. He had to wait for a rescue from one of Bill's friends. He almost got in a scuffle with an aggressive transient while waiting. Kinda sucked but Triumph ended up giving him a brand new bike. (swing arm got chewed up)

3 hours ago, Matts_12GS said:

@roadscholar are the dates for the XFL published on here? I may be able to make an early March trip. There are a few Miami guys I would like to bring along. 

It's March 7 and 8 Matt with a Fri afternoon (6th) gps route and catered welcome party Fri night at a riverfront home (you don't want to miss it). Didn't think there'd be much interest over here so here's the link on ADV, all the pertinent info should be on the first page. Would be great if you and some buddies could make it (btw the route is totally big bike friendly nowdays, yes softening a little in my old age : )  

https://advrider.com/f/threads/2020-trans-florida-adventure-rally.1425713/

• Like 1
3 hours ago, TEWKS said:

That was a great time Pat, pretty sure that was the first one, we've had umpteen of them since and sometimes they were twice a year. If you are down here then and want to 'sneak away' for a day or two I'm sure we could rustle up a bike to ride.

422-L.jpg .

traversing the high seas : )

447-L.jpg

Pat giving Mr. Speedy some sand riding advice, or was it the other way around. :)

471-L.jpg

lost in the forest

486-L.jpg

490-L.jpg

Pat practicing his puddle jumping techniques, he nailed it. :clap:

513-L.jpg

515-L.jpg

Pat and Jim on day one.

586-L.jpg

• Like 2

Not only a great tour-guide but a mind reader also! :grin: I was just going to dig for some of those photos! :thumbsup: Tempting and very appreciated offer Bill, be down there the 2nd-6th mostly on roller coaster duty. Told the little one when she reached 54" I'd take her to ride the Mako coaster in SeaWorld. :burnout:

• Like 1

HEY??  What are y'all trying to do, convert an RT rider to GS?   I sense riders having a little fun in some of those photos.  I am not a GS bike-type-of-guy and actually got tired of reading about them over the years in ON, but I will be danged if some of you GS peeps are trying to lure me. 

Eventually i will put a 3rd bike in the stable and after seeing a CL advertisement for a Honda Monkey, I got to wondering.  Fire service roads in N. GA?  Maybe.   Then, I recently saw a Suzuki Van Van 200 and I am digging it, too.  (5'8" with 30" inseam, so no tall bikes like a GS)  LOL

Still looks like fun, though.  Slowly but surely growing on me.  Please STOP doing that.

Thanks in advance!!

:18:

• Haha 2
On 2/14/2020 at 4:59 PM, wbw6cos said:

(5'8" with 30" inseam, so no tall bikes like a GS)  LOL

5'7" with 30" inseam,.....I gots a low suspension GSA,.....no problems.

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

5'7" really? I would have sworn you were a bit Taller than that. ;) Oh man, I lied on my license then! :grin:

Hehe,.....5'8" on  a good day when I'm stretching and reaching, but mostly, relaxed, 5'7".  Really did stretching and reaching during active duty days making weight standards (no, not a fatbody),......seems lifting weights makes you heavier and I never wanted to be "taped"(looks bad in the books).......at my best, my body fat was 9%,......but it's gone up quite a bit since I retired.

• Like 1
On 2/15/2020 at 5:27 PM, roadscholar said:

Waitin on Willie

96001B52-D33B-42B6-893A-6F99263CC8B5.thumb.jpeg.bab52526791ddead15662704ded665b5.jpeg

F825659F-4693-4AF4-9094-3278A0292024.thumb.jpeg.09c73f7d40450a4aabe90e1be8c0b2ad.jpeg

96DD29D4-0386-4A93-873C-0C2C8245B3C4.thumb.jpeg.578997a9ee31475cc219f74e55f2cc08.jpeg

I hope you had a good time.  I used to go to C+W concerts back in the day.  You know, Merle, Johnny, Ray, and Willie, but I've got to tell ya, some of those folks voices just couldn't keep up with father time.  I don't know how people like Ray Price or Tony Bennett did/do it.  Their voices have certainly changed over the years but they can/could still hold a note with some vibrato, which to me is what singing is all about.

I did catch the PBS Grand Ol Opry salute to Ray Charles the other day on the tube, and boy can Willie's kid really sing!  There were many other outstanding singers on the stage that night that I wasn't familiar with.  I'll try to get it on Blu ray.  It was the best thing I've seen on  TV in a loooooong time.  I think the only person I would pay to see in person nowadays is Leann Rimes.

3 hours ago, longjohn said:

I hope you had a good time.  I used to go to C+W concerts back in the day.  You know, Merle, Johnny, Ray, and Willie, but I've got to tell ya, some of those folks voices just couldn't keep up with father time.  I don't know how people like Ray Price or Tony Bennett did/do it.  Their voices have certainly changed over the years but they can/could still hold a note with some vibrato, which to me is what singing is all about.

I did catch the PBS Grand Ol Opry salute to Ray Charles the other day on the tube, and boy can Willie's kid really sing!  There were many other outstanding singers on the stage that night that I wasn't familiar with.  I'll try to get it on Blu ray.  It was the best thing I've seen on  TV in a loooooong time.  I think the only person I would pay to see in person nowadays is Leann Rimes.

Ironic you brought it up, when I posted from the concert the other night I almost said something about Willie's voice sounding just as amazing as ever, I mentioned to Molly he sounded the same as 30 years ago, she agreed. It's the first time I've been to a C/W concert but it was more about Willie because he's almost 87 and I figured he won't be doing it much longer. He was moving pretty slow and only played for an hour or so but it was def worth it. In contrast we saw Bob Dylan last year at the same venue, St. Augustine Ampitheater,  waste of time, sad really that he's still trying to pull it off. 

As far as country music I've always liked bluegrass and used to back up (rhythm guitar) a really good banjo player at square dances in WNC in the 60's/70's but never had a real appreciation for true country until watching Ken Burns PBS series on it recently. Highly recommended for any kind of music lover, it is truly excellent. 

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, roadscholar said:

Ironic you brought it up, when I posted from the concert the other night I almost said something about Willie's voice sounding just as amazing as ever, I mentioned to Molly he sounded the same as 30 years ago, she agreed. It's the first time I've been to a C/W concert but it was more about Willie because he's almost 87 and I figured he won't be doing it much longer. He was moving pretty slow and only played for an hour or so but it was def worth it. In contrast we saw Bob Dylan last year at the same venue, St. Augustine Ampitheater,  it was a waste of time, sad really that he's still trying to pull it off. 

As far as country music I've always liked bluegrass and used to back up (rhythm guitar) a really good banjo player at square dances in WNC in the 60's/70's but never had a real appreciation for true country until watching Ken Burns PBS series on it recently. Highly recommended for any kind of music lover, it is truly excellent. 

Yeah I’ve heard him sing in recent years. No thanks. 

The Ken Burns show was good tho. I think I missed the first episode. 

1 hour ago, wbw6cos said:

Well I don't.  What model is it and are those the stock tires?  They appear similar to the dark side.

Inquiring minds...…

It's a WR250X which is different in several ways from the R (dirt oriented version). It's in super-moto trim with 17" wheels instead of 18 and 21", it has a bigger front brake, stiffer suspension, and is geared longer. I chucked the street tires in favor of dirt ones and put a lowering link, w/s, and Sargent seat on it. Kind of a mini Adv bike it'll cruise pretty comfortably at 80+ and gets 80mpg at least in the thin Colorado air. It's easier to ride in sand too because the fat tires slow the steering a decent amount. That's a 1200 GS tire on the back, it lasts a long time : ) 

300-L.jpg 

324-L.jpg

IMG_1169-L.jpg

IMG_1214-L.jpg

• Like 2