IGNORED

Oceanside CA rides in February by this Michigander

Redman

First few days here was raining most all day everyday. Was getting storm alerts and flood alerts on my phone, sometimes 6 a day. I though "What, it is just raining, raining hard sometime, but is just raining."

Friday did get out for a ride.

Heaeded to De Luz north of Fallbrook. Found this

QWOfT6b.jpg

Stopped there for a while, saw lots of cars go around, so I did too.

Didnt get too far and found water running across road and debris in road and mud. Could easly see how had been a river running down the hill side then down the road. It was the mud that persuaded me to turn around. Yah, I can see with this terrain, a rare heavy rain can be significant.

We a bit east of Falbrrok and then north toward Murrietta and then west and south back into the twistys of the area.

TMLhrYo.jpg

Played around there and got lost a couple times,  didnt get pics of b est part of road, how about 28% grade, just wasnt anyplace to pull over to get a picture.

Never did find the Kilean Trail so went into Lake Elsinor to get to Ortega Highway.

BNlxfAp.jpg

Again, didnt get pics of the best part of the road.

Zipped back on "the 5". THis Micigander liked the 4 & 5 lanes of traffic all moving along at 85+mph, and seeing ocean part of the way.

Got close to the 76, and traffic down to 50 then 40 then 20-30 inabout a mile, so did a bit of splitting there, and on the 76.

Was out for about 5 hours.

• Like 1

Got out Saturday. Headed east on CA76 to other side of the 15.

Went to the Pala-Temececula road.

w26z7ss.jpg

Got to talk to a tribal officer, who told me how the road "is gone".

And saw construction equipment going in and out.

Went to Lilac Road and found it to be a gravel-sand-mud road. Went to Lilac Extention Road and found a gate closed across the road, no sign, just a big gate across the road.

Went to Couser Road.

AdBBbGz.jpg

Went past the sign. Rode thru some water running over road, then about a mile later was the debris and mud and construction crews works, so turned around.

Went to Rice Canyon Rd, no sign there, so headed north that way. A couple bikes and a truck comming south all gave me the "slow down" sign. 

Saw evidience of problems there, but, ah, wasnt too bad.

Naw, wasnt any place with water running more than 2 inches deep, wasnt any place with more than a 1/4th of the road missing.

pX8SfCZ.jpg

Made it up to Rainbow Cny Rd, and got lost on a Rainbow This Rd and Rainbow That road, then back to Rice CAnyon to head back south to CA76 and back to home base.

Was out for about 4 hours.

• Like 1

Meme & Papa (wife and i) were on baby sitting duty today.

But did get out to run a short errand, and stopped here to round out the southern California experience.

uvDA3LD.jpg

• Like 1

Last time we were here I did have a session with the kiddo to explain a few things about motorcycle design to suit the function of riding. She didnt seem to have much of an attention span then. So now that she is 10 months old, we had a another session.

VaZVKce.jpg

See, one cylinder out this side, and an other cylinder out the other side, so the vibration forces of the pistons cancel each other out. Some folks may not like all the plastic, so cant really see the engine, but it really helps for riging longer distances and in colder weather.

See, two cylinder next to each other, with each piston on a common crank pin, so piston are pretty much going up and down togeter. That creates lots of vibration. And all this chrome is just so it looks shinny.

She did seem to be more interested this time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Tuesday ride. Mid40s at 9am.

Took the 5 to the 805 blah blah blah to SD BMW dealer.

Either I am loosing my nerve, or the drivers were not leaving room for me to split as much I recall from previous visits (also in February). Maybe since has been a cold and rain winter here, and not as many bikes (I only saw one other the entire trip) the drivers were not lookng and not leaving room.

Got to the dealer, and was looking at aux lights on a bike in parking lot, and Don Orr walked up. Was his bike that he was about to ride out on. SO I got to chat with him for a bit. (I meet him in 2015 on first visit there, he was behind parts counter and I was impressed at the cooperation he got from other parts guys and service guys and they all worked on my bike in the parking lot. And I meet him again 5 days later when came back with bike on tow truck. THen I found out he was the owner-manager.)

Went in and Looked around at the dealer some, inquire more about tires. Place didnt seem quite the same with H Edward Bell not being there.

Then ventured out to Wildcat Cny rd.

xMsR6mZ.jpg

Into Ramona.

And Old Julian Hwy.

yGAJ5W0.jpg

Took a look at the temperature in Julian... and.... ah... decided to head more northward (and lower elevation) on CA79

Still saw some snow on the ground at 3000ft

rNNSrhP.jpg

but was avoiding the higher elevations as can see here.

Zipped back on the 15.

This Michigander found it fun to go along with the traffic at 85-90, when light traffic. And is even more intersteing when traffic on the other side is rolling along so heavy and slow that can see the wheels turning.

Had a little time, so went down to the beach.

Fairly quit down there, after all it is winter you know, 53 degF.

leEXyQb.jpg

• Like 1

Wednesday ride.

Upper 40s, maybe low 50s, Looked like chance of rain (predicted later in afternoon), so decided not to venture too far from home base.

Went back to Fallbrook to see if make it any further on De Luz.

Got there, no signs were there were signs last week. So headed on north.

DeLuzinal, I say.

tENIvzg.jpg

KeTqYz4.jpg

Got about 11 miles, at intersetion of De Luz and De Luz Murrietta road I looked at the GPS. THe direction of DeLuz was blank space, and the direction of De Luz Murrietta road seemed to be the route on the map I was somewhat following. But took the DeLuz just because it looked more interesting.

Just past the intesection I found this.

wK9evXb.jpg

Looked like about 8 inches of water going across the road for quite a distance. SOme trucks went thru, the road surface seemed okay. I thought I would be okay to go that way, but also thought would seem quite stupid if anything happened. So, I decided against it. Went back to the intersection and took DeLuz Murrietta road. Didnt get too far and found this.

4n0USnS.jpg

Did not have to ponder that at all. Saw a truck go thru it and he was bouncing around before got to the obvious break in the pavement.

Pondered again going thru the overflow on De Luz Rd.

Felt the air temp dropping and clouds darkining and wind more blustry, so turned around and head back south.

THe road was just as fun going back south.

Into Falbrook and found a little diner for a small lunch. Then was colder and starting to sprinkle so headed back. Mission to CA76, back to home base. Must have been going opposite of the trafic light timing cus was having to stop at about every light. Was able to split at every light (or maybe that is "filtering").

GOt rained on just a little. Made it back before the rain was heavier.

Put the bike back in storage mode this evening.

• Like 3

Thus endith my southern California adventure

I4r6o2d.jpg

Daughter & SIL will be departing southern California this May.

Am trying figure out how to yet have an adventure up & down California, and also have a cross country ride to ride it home.

But early May seems kinda early for the cross country trip to Michigan......... ponder ....... ponder.

• 2 weeks later...
Bill_Walker
On 2/22/2019 at 12:22 PM, Redman said:

But early May seems kinda early for the cross country trip to Michigan......... ponder ....... ponder.

Especially after this winter!  Unless things warm up really fast, there's still going to be a lot of snow around in northern climes and higher elevations.  Hell, Mammoth Mountain Ski Area has already announced they're going to be open until July 4!