IGNORED

Cylinder Head Protection 2006 R1200RT

Albert

I picked up a set of the BMW head protectors for my 06 RT (the black plastic ones). The instructions indicate that the tupperware needs to be removed to install the guards. Since things look pretty accessible around there, I'm wondering if that step is really necessary. Anyone installed these?

Thanks,

Had mine installed before I picked up the bike as part of the dealer prep.

Have laid 'er down a couple of time so the protection came in handy !

I picked up a set of the BMW head protectors for my 06 RT (the black plastic ones). The instructions indicate that the tupperware needs to be removed to install the guards. Since things look pretty accessible around there, I'm wondering if that step is really necessary. Anyone installed these?

Thanks,

I didn't install them, but watched the dealer do the work. They had to take out some of the tupperware screws, but I don't recall that they actually had to take off any whole pieces. Took them about 30 minutes. It was awkward, since they didn't put the bike up on jack.

I got a set for my '05 RT. The left side went on OK, but I couldn't get one of the bolts in the right side (as sitting on the bike) even by loosening up the fairing! I had it put in when the bike was in for 600 mile service. I found the job much more difficult than it looked.

Rick

When I fitted mine, I took the tupperware off. Mainly because I'm a stickler for instructions and partly because I was curious to see how things out of sight were lasting.

It really didn't take at all long and the BM supplied instructions are good. It must be easy; even I managed it and without the neighbours having to put in earplugs.

Paul

Yea kind of what I was thinking. I'll wait till a rainy Saturday and take a peek under the plastic to see what's what.

Thanks to all,

I put mine on without removing any tupperware, the right side is a little tight but it will work. You need to remove all the lower screws and carefully bend the lower shrouding out.

Remember, the guards will have to be removed every time you adjust the valves, so you will want to learn how to do this without removing all the tupperware. Now, that said, removing the tupperware is not all that difficult or time consuming, it just looks a bit intimidating the first time. I really think the 1200's plastic is easyer to remove than the 1150's. However tupperware R&R will add an extra half houre to your valve adjust if you don't learn how to remove the guards without it.

My guards were on when I bought the bike but I have had the TW off. 15 minutes to take it off and 15 to put it back.

The main thing is to have a nice little tray for the screws and someplace safe for the paint while you have them off.

--russ

aggieengineer

When you install them, I'd suggest using blue (non-permanent) Loctite on the six screws. The guards are made of a fairly soft plastic and will quicky yield and allow the screws to loosen.

I put the aluminum version on without removing the fairing. I did have to loosen the bottom of the right side a bit to get at the screws better, but it was pretty easy. There are pictures of them on the R12RT site below.

I was thinking about getting the Touratech cylinder head protectors. Has anyone got these? From the pictures they would seem to offer better protection. Any thoughts on this?

I bought the Wunderlich engine guards from Santa Cruz BMW. Took about an hour to put them on without having to remove any tupperware. They look great and don't interfere with changing any fluids. I don't think doing the valve adjustment will require any removal either.

Just curious, I priced these things, and they cost more then the heads do to replace, did anyone else check in to them? My beemer shop sells the 06 R mag heads for $89 per... Don't wanna sound like a jerk, but it didn't make sense to me. eek.gif

You don't sound like a jerk to me. It's been the same thing with BMW boxers for as long as I can remember. When I bought a nice new R75/6 in 1976, I had Krauser crash bars fitted. These were frame mounted but the trouble was, if you crashed without bars, the engine was so strong, the worst you were likely to do was grind away the rocker cover. However, the crash bars had enough leverage to easily bend the frame. The cost of replacing the frame was at least ten times the cost of a rocker cover! If you just scraped the bars, the damage was far more visible than a scuffed rocker cover and would have to be painted (in fact the Krausers were plastic coated I think).

However, attached is a piccy of my mate's RS after a slow-speed off a long way from home and the question is, would the mag cover have been holed without the protectors (and crash bars), and would the ignition lead have been damaged? Would he have had to replace the rocker cover bolts and how much are they?

The bike was sold on without repair and needless to say, still looks like this over a year later. Once damaged, the protectors are so expensive, it's natural to think, "might as well leave the old protectors on now in case I drop it again".

What we need is for someone to make some nice cheap ones out of kneee slider material.

669585-rocker.JPG.1e65676067b395d4b9fc1adf12287e3f.JPG

The wunderlich bars are attached to the engine so bending the frame is probably not the resultant. Also the new magnesium covers and the entire topend of the engine is more complex now than on the airheads (assumption).

I have the bars and I can also remove the tupperware without removing the bars so all maintenance is possible and all installations of radios etc. have been done with them on.

I recommend the bars but many of us ride with just the headshields.

Anyway you go it is worthwhile having some protection.

h

I respect where you are coming from, but it seems to me if you hit hard enough to do more damage than just the $89 mag head, no amount of add-ons would save em. Like I said, just my thoughts. People are going to do what makes them happy, I have no problem with that… smile.gif

I was quoted that from my dealer, however when I look it up at their web site the are now $114 (part# 11 12 7 673 079 [80-right side] Rocker cover). This actually makes sense because I bought some luggage there 2 months ago, and the same luggage and my jacket for that matter have gone up 15 to 20 percent in the past few weeks. A & S BMW, in Roseville Ca. They claim (and some other BMW dealers concur) they are the largest BMW motorcycle dealer in the Western Hemisphere. I can’t argue because they always have at least 8-10 new RT on the floor every time I go in, and the colors change, so there not the same bikes. At any given time they may have 35+ new BMW and about 20+ used on the floor.

Archived