IGNORED

Newbie in Germany

Charles

Hi, I am a newbie to the forum, I am 35 years old and was born in sunny Scotland biggrin.gif. But due to my work I live in Germany at the moment. I have recently bought a 2018 BMW GSA and absolutely love this machine. I first bought the R1200 GS back in 2014, then traded it in for 2011 GSA air cooled model. Then decided I wanted the LC with all the gadgets on it. Its a big bike but awesome to ride! My brothers also riding BMW motorcycles.:4323:
Also looking at planning my first ever bike trip around Europe this year if anyone can give me some good routes/places to visit.

Cheers
Charles

Welcome happy that you joined.  Lots of great folks and sound advise to be found here.

I can't help with any routes, but maybe a detail to get in order before your trip.   I'm guessing your trip will be after March 29....so, up to date passport and maybe a visa or two:5150:

2 hours ago, Charles said:

Hi, I am a newbie to the forum, I am 35 years old and was born in sunny Scotland biggrin.gif. But due to my work I live in Germany at the moment. I have recently bought a 2018 BMW GSA and absolutely love this machine. I first bought the R1200 GS back in 2014, then traded it in for 2011 GSA air cooled model. Then decided I wanted the LC with all the gadgets on it. Its a big bike but awesome to ride! My brothers also riding BMW motorcycles.:4323:
Also looking at planning my first ever bike trip around Europe this year if anyone can give me some good routes/places to visit.

Cheers
Charles

It would help if you indicated your start/finish point, your time-scale, whether you wanted a high mileage trip, or fewer miles but more time to sight see, & what sort of things you want to see; mountains, lakes, castles, museums, race circuits, that sort of thing.

A ride around Lake Garda was nice. Now find this road and make up for my mistake. I think this is an offshoot from the lake loop.

• Like 1

That looked fun.  Italy is definitely on the bucket list for a motorbike trip.  In 2013, the wife and I did a religous tour in Rome, Assisi, Florence and back to Rome (with a stop in Sienna.)  Currently, we are lined up for a trip in Wales in June on a rented R1250RT (!!!)  We have that going for us, which is nice   

On a side note, we tried in September to reserve an R1200RT for June 2019 (London) rental and just a few weeks before that,  a large group of Brazilians (19) snapped up all they had, including the RT with topcase.  As we set the reservation, we had to settle for a 2017 R1200 RS Sport LE, which was fine, to say the least.  Fast forward a few months and (wal-lah) they emailed us to inform us that they now have an RT to rent.  Spoiler alert:  it is a 1250 RT!!  Sweeet, as I have become accustomed to riding one. If you know what i mean :classic_wink:

Thanks for sharing the video.

Cheers,

William

• Like 1

I'm very familiar with the Italian routes through the mountains of Lombardia, Sud Tirol/Alto Adige and Trentino.  While I live in California, I also have a home in the Valle dei Laghi above Lago di Garda.  We see many, many motorcyclists from Germany in our area.  A lot of them put their bikes on the train to Bolzano and when they arrive they are at the gateway to the Dolomiti Mountains.  The routes through the Dolomiti are legendary.  Here's just one:  The Val Gardena is stunning, but from Bolzano take the road that begins in Prato Isarco up through Castelrotto and Fie'allo Sciliar.  When you get to Passo di Gardena, drop into Corvara, go over Passo Campolongo and up to Passo Pordoi.  Once over the pass, drop down toward Canazei, but turn right on the road to Passo di Sella.  The Sella Pass has the most incredible views imaginable.  From Passo di Sella, you could drop back into the Val Gardena, thus completing the famed "Sella Ring", but you'll want to backtrack a little and go into Canazei and head out toward Passo Fedaia and beyond.  (Tip:  If it fits with your schedule be in Castelrotto on a Sunday morning at around 9:30.  The villagers attend mass in their Tyrolean attire and it is beautiful to see them come and go.) 

Here are a few other recommendations of places you may want to visit:

Passo Valles has a spectacular view of Monte Pelmo and La Civetta.  But, you have to stop at the top of the pass and walk a few meters to the eastern side to see it.  Below the pass on the western side is the Malga Valparola.  Highly recommended old world eatery.  

Lago di Alleghe (Lake Alleghe) is one of my favorite overnight spots.  From here there is a spectaular route going over either Passo di Giau or Passo di Falzarago into the Olympic village of Cortina di Ampezzo.  Either way you go there are good views of the Cinque Torre...the five towers.  Once in Cortina, pop over Passo Tre Croci and to Lago di Misurina.  Once past the lake, find the road up to the rifugio at Tre Cime di Lavaredo.  It's quite a climb but you can see over 100 peaks over 8,000ft in elevation from here as well as a lovely view of Misurina below.  

Outside of the Dolomiti and to the west lie the 48 tornante (switchbacks) of Passo dello Stelvio (above Trafoi), Passo Tonale and Passo di Gavia.  From this area if you descend into Lombardia you'll find lovely Lago di Como and Lago di Maggiore.  I find the village of Varenna on Como to be a relaxing stay and the ferrys will take you and your bike to Bellagio where you can set off to explore the town of Como and the surrounding mountains.  St Moritz and the Engadina Valley are nearby along with Passo di Resia and the lake of the same name. (Wait to you see the church steeple rising from the middle of the lake...)  Also, from Lago di Maggiore you can go over Passo Sempione, hang a right at Brig and find yourself among Furkapass, Grimsel Pass and Nufenen Pass.  All keepers!   

OK, both my brain and my fingers are burning...sorry if this is too much, but I love this "neighborhood".  I'm an old guy, but a new motorcyclist.  These are my old bicycling routes.  This should get you looking at maps...from here there's more good riding than one could imagine.  If you get stuck with routes, lodging, dining, etc. let me know.  

• Like 2