Engine idle 2K?

velomoto

I've got a new '06 12RT (250 miles thus far) and the engine seems to want to race when I'm stopped and have the clutch pulled all the way in (I'll be in 1st gear or neutral). This occurs with my hand off the throttle. If I roll off the throttle I can force the rpm's to drop down to 1k where I think they should be for a fully warm'd bike. Seems to me this would be some sort of throttle and/or linkage problem. Any other thots suggestions or things I can try before dealin' with the dealer?

Thanks in advance!

Greg

I've put about 1,300mi on my new RT in the past month with more than half of that time around town at stop lights and in traffic. It has never done that, and I'd say it doesn't sound right.

I could be a mechanical problem like an improperly adjusted or sticking throttle cable like you mentioned, but I'd also consider that it could be an electronic issue, i.e. ECU programming or maybe a bad sensor.

It may be a hassle but the dealer is probably a good place to start with this one. Good luck.

Greg,

Just my opinion, but whatever is causing it you should get it to a dealer asap. If your throttle is sticking at 2k rpm there's no gaurantee that it won't suddently decide to stick at 6k rpm. I'd keep a finger near the kill switch until I had it looked at. Stay safe.

ShovelStrokeEd

Sluggish idle air control motor(s) (unlikely).

Improperly set throttle position sensors.

Debris in cable pulleys at the throttle bodies.

I wouldn't worry overmuch at this point. Go for a nice long ride and get the 600 out of the way then bring your complaint to the dealer. He'll probably catch and fix this kind of stuff at the 600 mile service anyway.

I would never ride a bike with the possibility of a sticking throttle!

Sounds like the cable has insufficient free play, but whatever it is, I would urge you to get it fixed before you ride it.

I wonder if the battery is low? I believe that the computer will shed loads and raise the idle if necessary in order to charge a low battery.

Thanks for the feedback - I'll be taking the bike in ASAP to get this looked at. The more I look at the problem the more it seems something isn't right with the throttle linkage in that it doesn't seem to go all the way back when released. There's no sign of binding or sticking, if the linkage is a cable then it would seem the cable needs tightening. When in neutral, it doesn't take much throttle to get an extra 1K rpm.

Hopefully this is just a minor adjustment and the bike will be back on the road quickly (read: lots of nice weather is being forecasted). I've got just over 250 miles her and I'd like to get the 600 mile service so the REAL riding can begin! eek.gif

Cheers,

Greg

Do you have cruise control fitted? If so, the throttle will be capable of being rotated past its normal rest position (so that it can be used to disengage cruise control). This doesn't explain your problem but may explain why it seems not to go all the way back.

Paul

Do you have cruise control fitted? If so, the throttle will be capable of being rotated past its normal rest position (so that it can be used to disengage cruise control). This doesn't explain your problem but may explain why it seems not to go all the way back.

Paul

Paul, interesting point. I'll bring this up with the guys in the shop. I just scheduled an appointment for Thursday and hopefully can report back later that evening.

Thanks,

Greg

Hi,

I have been experiencing the same thing, only started about 200 km ago. Bike went in for its first service yesterday. They confirmed the fault but could not fix it, they are waiting for BMW Australia to get back to them. In the meantime they have given the bike back to me.

Cheers

brendan confused.gif

Just got the bike back from the dealer - faulty cruise control module was the cause. Unfortunately the part is not in stock so I'll be waiting a few days. The service manager did check with BMW and they said the bike would be safe for me to ride while I wait for the part to arrive next early week. Brendan, once the repair is completed I'll have the proper part description which hopefully will help in the diagnosis of your bike.

Cheers,

Greg

Archived