IGNORED

1150RT Mic'ln PR4 verses Dunlop RS3

Redman

I apologize for bringing up  mundane question like a tire recommendation, and for showing my ignorance, and for asking any question after not contributing here for months and months.

I will be back together with the 1150RT in Oceanside CA shortly, and the tread on the Metzler Z6s are a bit thin.

(especially when considering  cross country trip this summer)

At home I would order tires myself,  and take wheels to shop for the mounting-balance.

But Given the situation and the logistics of it all, I asked two dealers for their recommendation, and have gotten estimates on a set of tires installed.

Any comments on Michelin Pilot Road 4, verses the Dunlop Road Smart 3 ....?

The PR4s being almost 50% more.

I've used both on my R12RS and each has it's advantages.  The PR4 is a great all around tire with good mileage and grip in any conditions.

The RSIII got equal or slightly better mileage  Great grip in the dry and very neutral steering- the PR4 required constant bar pressure to maintain a corner.

The biggest difference in my case was the RSIII's reaction to tar snakes- my local roads are infested with them.  The RSIII was squirmy in the dry and downright alarming in the wet/damp.  The PR4's don't seem to notice them.

Frank

From comments here, and from other conversations, I gather that the PilotRoad4 have an overall better reputation (for a sportourer anyway).

If I were to have the bike for sale in about 4-5 thousand miles: Anybody think it having the PR4 would be more impressive-appealing than the RS3, or maybe the typical buyer for an 02 RT would not notice nor care.....?

Or ... maybe ... you will say that if I am quibbling about getting $600 set of tires verses $450.... then I shouldn't have a BMW in the first place.

Dave

2 hours ago, Redman said:

From comments here, and from other conversations, I gather that the PilotRoad4 have an overall better reputation (for a sportourer anyway).

If I were to have the bike for sale in about 4-5 thousand miles: Anybody think it having the PR4 would be more impressive-appealing than the RS3, or maybe the typical buyer for an 02 RT would not notice nor care.....?

Or ... maybe ... you will say that if I am quibbling about getting $600 set of tires verses $450.... then I shouldn't have a BMW in the first place.

Dave

As far as which tire is on the bike when you go to sell it...I would not let that influence the decision.  Tires with several thousand miles on them will be a pretty minor thing on most buyer's checklist.  

I haven't used the RS3 but had many sets of PR3 and PR4s on my bikes.  Great and consistent mileage, great grip in rain and dry.  

16 hours ago, Redman said:

If I were to have the bike for sale in about 4-5 thousand miles:...

In 4k to 5k miles, either brand's rear tire will be near the end of its service life, in my experience.  And, as eddd mentions above, buyers of used motos will take tire wear as a minor consideration.

On my 2004 RT, I found that my Pilot Road tires (of various generations) would give me about 4k-5k miles on the rear.  I could usually get twice that on the front, although the feathering would get pretty ugly towards the end.  And depending on your type of riding, both brands might get squared off within a few thousand miles.  That's one thing I really appreciate about the PR4 GT -- it resists squaring off a lot longer than the earlier PR4.  

Being brutal, you are not going to be getting that much for the bike anyway, so the tyre is irrelevant. The prospective buyer will have WAY more things to be knocking you down on price for.

• Like 1
On 2/16/2019 at 1:25 PM, Jerry Duke said:

Have you considered the Michelin Road 5? Haven't run a set yet but everything I read says they are the best tire wet and dry.

Hi Jerry, Every new tyre is reported to be better than the generation before. We really can't trust this hype. If this were true we'd be getting astronomical mileages out of our tyres and we would all need elbow sliders with the claims that the latest is truly the greatest.  Maybe I'm just too cynical!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I agree. But I don't look for mileage, what I look for is traction, in both dry and especially wet conditions. Advances in technology can and does make improvement in this area.

I really like Michelins, for both the bike/s and the car. I always put the latest PR available, 3 for the rear and 5 for the front, because, well, the do not make them in 18' anymore starting from the PR4.

Since I am really please with the way the handle, I could not find any reason to switch to another brand.

I think I run the RT as hard as possible, the tires only last ~ 4k kms and yes, I do inflate them as they should.

Dan.

• Like 1

Thanks for comments. Seems that the RP are quite respected.

One dealer quoted the RoadPilot4 (well over $600, installed on bike).

Other dealer quoted the RoadSmart3 (about $450).

I asked them about the RP,  and they said they "don't have" the RP4 any more but would quote the RP5,  then said not available in size required for 1150RT.  Oh.

I am not that much of a sporty rider. Would like to have some decent tire tread left when get home from 3500 mile ride this summer (SoCal to Michigan). Maybe I should be considering some other completely different tire.

(Or maybe if I am not that sporty of a rider, I should figure I don't need an RT.)

We had a rider that said he wasn't that much of a sporty rider and would still arrive where we were going pretty close to the rest of us. He consistently got 10,000+ from the latest PR tires on his RS. Being a smooth rider has a lot to do with it.