IGNORED

Temecula Days- March 30th

graydude

It's on my friends.  I will again be hosting a ride on March 30th.  This epic journey will take you to the searing heat of Octotillo Wells.  The snow covered white knuckle ride up Palomar Mountain and finally the sun bleached sands of the Pacific ocean.  All in one day!  Many people stay for Friday and Saturday night  The event motel will be the palatial Motel Six at 41900 Morena Blvd in Old Town Temecula.  The rooms are around $150 per night.  I can't get a discount unless at least 10 rooms are reserved.  Book on line.  I will supply beverages for those arriving Friday night for the traditional tire kicking in the parking lot.  Dinners are on your own but Old town Temecula has a great night life with lots of dining choices within knee walking distance to the motel.  Or you can join EDDDDDD at Dennys.

Side stands will be up at 9:00 Saturday and its a full day of riding so be prepared. We will have a lunch stop wherever I say we will.  This is always a fun day for those that have not participated so join us for the first ride of the year!

19 hours ago, BrianT said:

IN and booked.  Not sure how I'll survive the 88 mile ride to get there.  :bike::rofl:

It's a whopping 36 for me, via the most direct route up I-15.  But I don't think I'll go that way, especially on a Friday afternoon.  That'll probably get me up to 45-50 miles.

I’m definitely taking the long way to get there.......heading to Yuma Thursday thru Joshua National Park and along the Salton sea.......both spots have been on my gotta see list. 

So Friday slab to Occitillo and find S2 Overland Stage to San Felipe rd till I  find 79 and eventually getting to Temecula

This is all new stuff to me, should be a good adventure........

Any suggestions or better yet meet me out there somewhere along the way! 

Don J

11 hours ago, mrduck said:

or better yet meet me out there somewhere along the way! 

What time are you leaving Yuma ?  I'll be going through there Friday coming from Tucson and was  also thinking taking S2 out of Ocotillo 

6 hours ago, chrisolson said:

What time are you leaving Yuma ?  I'll be going through there Friday coming from Tucson and was  also thinking taking S2 out of Ocotillo 

I have all day to get there, no particular rush to get up and leave from Yuma.....I.can hang around  till you get there.

Don J

4 hours ago, mrduck said:

I have all day to get there, no particular rush to get up and leave from Yuma.....I.can hang around  till you get there.

Don J

If you have all day, may I suggest a route?

An hour past Yuma, at Ocotillo, take the Imperial Highway (S2).

At Scissors Crossing, make a left towards Julian.
You can opt for the Wynola Road Cutoff or continue through Julian.  Wynola Road is VERY twisty, VERY technical.  Opting for Julian can yield a fresh pie at the Julian Pie Company.
In Wynola, where both options meet again, there is a small strip mall, "Julian Station". There is a Mexican food hut with very good asadas.  Yelp is 5 stars, however it gets pulled down by people complaining they ran out of meat.
At Santa Ysabel head north on the 79 and continue through Warner Springs.

The 79 continues to Temecula.  
You can thank me later.

3 hours ago, mrduck said:

I can hang around  till you get there.

Sounds good ...  how abut 10AM local time ... 3 1/2  maybe 4 hours to  Temecula  ... maybe a bit more with the "Stir recommendation" :classic_biggrin:

Bill_Walker
On 2/22/2019 at 7:41 PM, mrduck said:

So Friday slab to Occitillo and find S2 Overland Stage to San Felipe rd till I  find 79 and eventually getting to Temecula

This is all new stuff to me, should be a good adventure........

Any suggestions or better yet meet me out there somewhere along the way! 

That's probably a good choice.  S2 from 78 to the junction with S22 isn't usually on Todd's route, so you'll get to ride something that you won't ride again the next day.  I haven't ridden more than a few miles south of 78 on S2, so I can't really comment on.  Once you hit 79 and turn toward Temecula, you'll likely be on a road we'll ride again.

Stir's route via Julian is great, but likely covers a lot of the same territory we'll ride on Saturday.  However, they are roads worth riding more than once, and you might hit some in the opposite direction.

18 hours ago, Bill_Walker said:

However, they are roads worth riding more than once, and you might hit some in the opposite direction.

Yep ... most times the road seems entirely different and  just as enjoyable going the other way !  Classic case .... and one of my all time favorites ....  72 all the way out to the junction with 70 and back in Torrey

• Like 1

If you do go south on S2, you might see a small general store on a side road to the south.  There is a county park not a mile down that road there with hot springs, Agua Caliente County Park.  S2 is also known as the Great Overland Stagecoach Route of 1849 as the Butterfield Stage ran thru' there.  There is a stage stop along the road, but nothing left of it.

dc

• 2 weeks later...

Not going to make this one. My shoulder is not quite there yet.

I expect to be ready for North Meets South though!

We are still on!  Weather is forecasted to cooperate.  I will be pre riding on Wednesday to make sure the route meets EDDDDDs expectations.  As in the past, I will be providing welcome beverages for those that arrive Friday at the Motel 6.  If you are new and on the fence, come on down! We are welcoming to anyone who wants to ride.  We let EDDDDD ride so there ya go.  Side stands up at 9:00.  If you are running late, let me know at 951-375-9016. See ya!

Riding out of the way back roads, staying at cheap motels and evenings spent  carousing with sketchy characters.....all the ingredients for an epic weekend!

Don J 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
46 minutes ago, mrduck said:

PBR, imported from Beatty!

Oh nooooooooo, I'm out :3:

47 minutes ago, mrduck said:

See ya in Yuma.......

Yep !!

Havasu Dave

There is only a few things better than coming up S2. One is going down S2. Beware there is a CHP station on S2 out in the middle of nowhere.