IGNORED

New Member from Northern California

Motobiker

Hello everyone,  My name is Steve and I reside in Redding California.  I've been riding motorcycles most of my life (over 50 years now) having been raised by a motorcycle riding mother and father.  My current rides are a 2016 BMW R1200RT and a 2009 BMW HP2 Sport.  My wife rides a 2005 Harley Superglide and a 2007 BMW F800ST.  There are some amazing roads in my neck of the woods if any of you are ever in the area. My other passions are road and mountain biking.  I am new to joining any kind of a"forum" and I look forward to learning from all of  your experiences and hopefully meeting some of you at some of the BMWST events.

Thank you for the welcome. I miss typed with regard to my wife's F800ST, it is an F800S.  Miguel, I read the info about the Weaverville event. That's right in my backyard.

I also meant to say that we have some amazing roads here in Northern Calif. and I have an extra bedroom if anybody wants to come and check some of them out.

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome from another new addition to this forum who lives in the Sierra foothills outside of Sacramento and not far from you.  I'll bet you already know that Seth Laam, one of the best custom seat builders in the U.S. is one of your Redding neighbors!

Hello and thank you for the welcome Charles and PPondaRoad.  Yes I am familiar with Seth Lamb.  He used to work for another seat builder (Rick Mayer I think was his name) out  in Happy Valley west of Redding some years back.  They both built a seat for an 07 R1200S that I used to own.   Actually, Seth did most of the work and it was much better than the stock unit.  If you are ever in this area, let me know.  I'm almost always up for a ride.

Thank you for the welcome Indy Dave.  Yes, I feel spoiled by the incredible and many times remote uncrowded roads all around Northern California as well as the fantastic mountain bike trails here in the North State.  Hopefully you can make it out again sometime in the future.

• Like 1

Redding??  I think I'd shoot myself.  Only kidding...a little, and welcome to the forum.  Some great info here from some very knowledgable folks.  Just a few Oregonians to put up with.  Oh where oh where is Tom McCall when we need him.

• Like 1

Thank you for the welcome JamesW.  The worst thing about Redding for me (other than the summer heat and recent Carr, Delta and Camp fires) is that it is still in the State of California.  I'm not quite ready to shoot myself but my wife and are talking about leaving the state when she retires sometime later this year.

You may want to avoid Oregon for retirement, Motobiker.  Too many Californians here :-) 

BTW, a number of beemer riders will meet in Weaverville, May 10-12.  Join us if you're free.  I've loved all my rides into NorCal

And welcome to the asylum

I used to think about retiring to the Bend area but that was when the only stop light was at the intersection by the Safeway store and you could be out of Dodge in any direction in about 10 minutes.  Guess I've kind of dated myself.  Motobiker,  google Cascadia Subduction Zone before you consider retiring in Western Oregon.  There could be a whole lotta shakin' goin' on here abouts in the not to distant future.  Pretty interesting stuff.  I would not have wanted to be in these parts at 9PM on 01/26/1700 and we're overdue for the big one.  Until fairly recent this area was actually thought to be geologically stable but not anymore.  The state is setting up an emergency response center in Bend since all areas west of the Cascade Mts. will be pretty much out of commission for a very long time should the entire subduction zone rupture at the same time as it did in 1700 and that includes all of Western Washington as well.  We're not talking about a fault line quake like what occurs in California with a bullseye epicenter.  Check it out then buy my house.:classic_rolleyes:

Thank you for the welcome Bendbill.  I've spent quite of bit of time in Bend over the years.  Great mountain biking there and in the Oakridge area.  The roads for riding  motorcycles are great as well.  Its just a bit to cold in the winter for me and the home prices in Bend seem almost like the San Francisco Bay Area as well.

I'm hoping to make it to Weaverville this May.  Its so close to Redding (less than an hour) that I haven't yet decided if I should reserve a room at the Red Hill Motel or not.  JamesW, I'll check out the Cascadia Subduction Zone.  They say Mt. Shasta is the next big volcano to blow, but I don't worry about that in my lifetime.

Anyway, as wonderful and beautiful as Oregon is, its not one of the places we have considered moving to. A little to wet and as Bendbill says, too many Californian's.

• Like 1

Hi again Motobiker,  Just curious.  Where are the places you are considering to retire to?  I've had thoughts about leaving Oregon because it just isn't the place I was raised up in not even close.  I've been considering Kentucky and not just because I like bourbon.  Pretty much every place in the western US no longer appeals to me.  The southwest is a non starter and the midwest is... well....nuff said.  The southeast?  never been there and not going!  The northeast?  Taxes and more taxes plus road salt and then some so NO!  Probably going to just stay put and tolerate the Californians.:mad:  

Hello JamesW. My wife and I are just now beginning to talk about other states to retire.  I have a good friend that just moved to Eagle Idaho last October.  I am planning a motorcycle trip there sometime this coming summer to check it out.  He loves is but I think the winters may be a bit to cold for us.  I love Missoula Montana, but again to cold.  We may also look into some areas in Arizona and New Mexico.  I've heard some good things about Austin, but most of Texas doesn't excite me.

There are so many things that I love about Redding and Northern California though.  If I can come to grips and learn to accept the many, many things that I hate about the state, we may end up staying.  Also, I think that most Northern Californians are pretty good people.  We've been getting so much rain the last month (including a foot of wet heavy snow) that I am looking forward to the day I can go for a good ride again.

Hi Steve,

Welcome to the forum.  We have 5 members over here in Brookings.  Look forward to meeting you in Weaverville, if you come.