Sign in to follow this  
Rob Nowell

So Cal to the Olympic Peninsula in July, anyone?

Rob Nowell

I am planning a trip north from Southern California, up the 101 to Washington State, going along the coasts.  I hope to leave the Sunday after July 4.  I would welcome company.

szurszewski

I’m no help for the southern bits but if you want some company in the PNW I’m always looking for an excuse to go for a ride. 

Rob Nowell

Crescent City > Astoria > Port Angeles > Concrete > Winthrop

From there, I'll head to family in Montana.

Rob

szurszewski

Nice. Are you going to take 101 all the way up the WA coast and come around the pennisula to Port Angeles? Ferry from Port Townsend over to Whidbey Island?

Rob Nowell

Exactly.  Then SR 20 across, and in to Priest River, ID, before I-90 to Missoula.

jmseattle

If you have a bit of extra time for  a nicer ride than 90 out of Priest River, head down to Lewiston and then Rt. 12 over Lolo Pass into Missoula

• Like 1

szurszewski

Yes - Lewiston to Missoula via Lolo is more fun for sure. 

As far as I90 goes, though, that is probably the best stretch of the whole cross country route. 

Rob Nowell

I lived in Missoula for a few years in the early 80s.  My wife is from Lolo; we were married there, so I'm quite familiar with Hwy 12 and the Lochsa.  I typically avoid Interstates, but to get to Frenchtown, MT, from Twisp, WA, I-90 is a bit of a necessity this time to fit my schedule.

szurszewski

If you're looking to make a career change, or just want to move back to the area, Lochsa Lodge is for sale (or at least it was when I was there last summer, and the listing is still up...). Be a great place to host an UnRally ....

Rob Nowell
On 3/6/2019 at 8:55 PM, szurszewski said:

If you're looking to make a career change, or just want to move back to the area, Lochsa Lodge is for sale (or at least it was when I was there last summer, and the listing is still up...). Be a great place to host an UnRally ....

Well, I'm sure there's a REASON it's for sale, and that reason is not that the owners are tired of making too much money!

Looks as though you had a nice ride down the coast.  My back and neck hurt just looking at your pictures.  I'm too much of a wimp to tour without a fairing!

szurszewski
3 hours ago, Rob Nowell said:

Well, I'm sure there's a REASON it's for sale, and that reason is not that the owners are tired of making too much money!

Looks as though you had a nice ride down the coast.  My back and neck hurt just looking at your pictures.  I'm too much of a wimp to tour without a fairing!

Yes indeed - you could just be buying someone else's problems. But maybe they are just tired of the work (not of the money!), or they're aging, or need to be near healthcare or just want to do something else. I think the asking price was three million (which is just .5 million more than a building my wife wants to buy in Tacoma, of all places) - so maybe they just want to see if there's a sucker out there who will fund their retirement!

I had a great ride down the coast, and a pretty good one back up as well. I don't mind the lack of fairing in the 60-70mph region; above that and it starts to get tiring trying to hang on ;)  Switching from the R9T to the KLR wasn't exactly a pleasure, but my back did appreciate the upright riding posture :)