What's in an R1100RT toolkit

russell_bynum

russell_bynum

I just sold my RT and I wanted to make sure that I give the guy everything that should be included in the factory toolkit. Ages ago, I took my toolkit apart and replaced most of the tools with better stuff. I put the tools in my "junk" box with a bunch of other crappy tools and now I'm not sure what goes in the BMW toolkit and what doesn't.

Can one of you please go do a quick inventory on your factory toolkit and let me know what should be included?

My '98 RT's tool kit has the following, namely: screw driver (with reversable blade), ABS feeler gauge, tubular spark plug wrench, hollow tubular metal extension (for spark plug wrench), wheel stud wrench, four allen wrenches (4mm, 5mm, 6mm and 8mm), plastic spark plug cap puller and two open end wrenches (8 x 10mm and 10 x 13 mm).

FWIW, the manual shows a fifth allen (3 mm) and larger hollow tubular extension (evidently for wheel lug wrench) yet not in my kit; I've included a 3 mm allen driver and middle age muscle (for wheel lugs).

All in all a far cry from the 40 some piece kits of airhead days.

Say Russel, are you morphing into nonbmw rider, and is that evolution or devolution ?

Wooster

what's better than talking dog ? spelling bee

russell_bynum

Wooster, Ed...thanks! That's exactly what I needed.

Wooster,

We will keep Lisa's R1100RS for the forseeable future. My RT is a great bike, but just isn't what I want out of a motorcycle right now. My thoughts keep turning to the "Streetfighter" class of bikes, and the only thing BMW makes in that category is the K1200R...which is a fantastic bike, but out of my price range. I havne't nailed down a solid choice just yet, but you can bet that as soon as I do, I'll let everyone know.

I don't expect this to diminish the Sport Touring that I do much, if at all. Whatever I get will immediately get a tankbag, seat bag, and some saddlebags for rockin' and rollin' in Torrey, Gunnison, etc. cool.gif

My '99 came w/o a toolkit. I can tell you from taking it apart to do the clutch that you'll need a semi-hard-to-find 13mm allen wrench (Sears) for the driveshaft/final drive pivot points. I believe the lug nuts are 18mm. There's also some Torx bolts to deal with here and there.

Bob

russell_bynum
My '99 came w/o a toolkit. I can tell you from taking it apart to do the clutch that you'll need a semi-hard-to-find 13mm allen wrench (Sears) for the driveshaft/final drive pivot points. I believe the lug nuts are 18mm. There's also some Torx bolts to deal with here and there.

Bob

That's Bob. The reason I'm trying to reassemble a stock toolkit is because I sold the bike and I want to give the new owner the stock toolkit. Mine came with the stock toolkit, but over the years, I've replaced the crappy tools that came with it with good quality tools. I've also augmented it with some extra bits and pieces.

I'm not asking because I want to know what tools I need to work on the bike, I just want to be able to reassemble the stock toolkit for the new owner.

And FWIW, you don't need to pull those big allen bolts to do the clutch. Just leave everything attached and slide the whole transmission/swingarm/final drive off together as one unit.

Lugs are 17mm (I think that's a BMW standard...the lugs on all three BMW bikes and both BMW cages are 17mm).

I'm in shock eek.gif Next you'll be telling us you're selling the beater 325.......... grin.gif

Streetfighter, huh? How about one of these?

foto_mod_pg_799_1130228422.jpgfoto_mod_pg_801_1130228408.jpg

russell_bynum

I'm in shock Next you'll be telling us you're selling the beater 325..........

NEVER!!!!

That little POS is way too much fun to ever sell. If nothing else, I enjoy the looks of disgust I get from the Orange County yuppies in their new Lexus/Mercedes/7-series/whatever when I park next to them. grin.gif

Streetfighter, huh? How about one of these?

Tuono is already on the short list.

Also under consideration: Kawi Z1000. The kawi would need some suspension help, but the cool news is that Kawi 636 forks and shock would plug right in, and there's some really good stuff available for the 636.

Naturally, the Kawi is cheaper, even after I do the suspension upgrades. It doesn't have the soul and the attention to detail that the Tuono does. Dealer support is better for the Kawi, but the Tuono has a great reputation for reliability, so I don't think that's such a big deal.

I deliver my RT to its new owner on 4/23, and when I get money in hand, we'll see what I wind up with.

You can check the fiche (available everywhere now) to see what comes in the took kit. There are a couple of tools that aren't identified and one of them is a big honking 13mm allen wrench.

I realize you don't HAVE to separate the parts to get at the clutch, I just thought it would be prudent to lessen the chances of bending the clutch rod.

My 2 senses.

Bob

Have you guys done any two up on that Steve?

Karen sat on it...does that count? grin.gif She did think it was "OK". She liked the backrest that the triple tail provides. 2up, many on badweb are saying their SO's prefer it to their 'glides and whatnot.

I've only got ~650 on it so far. All solo. I did put 300+ on in a morning and found myself not really needing to stretch my legs as I did on the RT/GS.

Archived