IGNORED

R1200RT Whine at 35 mph

Quint

At 3,000 miles, my R1200RT has started whining (almost like a car's differential does) at between 30 and 45 mph. It's particularly noticeable when slowing down. I really notice it when decelerating from freeway speeds to enter an exit ramp, particularly those constant radius ones where you basically maintain speed around the turn at about 40 mph.

It is not the engine or gearbox - it does it with the gearbox in neutral and/or the clutch disengaged. It does it whether at constant speed, or when accelerating or decelerating. I just came back from a 1,400 mile tour, and it really started bugging me.

dopeslap.gif

Has anyone else experienced this problem? If not, any ideas on what it might be (i.e. shaft, front axle, etc)?? I'll obviously take it into the dealer, but armed with information is always better.

ShovelStrokeEd

Tires. In particular Z6's or Pilot Roads. They tend to get noisy right around that milage. It will probably increase if you lean the bike just a bit. The Z6 fronts on both my R1100S and my Blackbird howl like a Banshee. Both have about 8K miles on the front tire. Alas, the rear on the Blackbird expired at that point (cords showing in the center of the tread) and has been replaced with a Dunlop D208.

Sounds like your tires are talkin' to ya. You may have just a bit of cupping that makes it more noticable on deceleration. My Pilot Roads like to sing for me under the conditions you discribe. eek.gif

Carl

Thanks Ed and Carl

I have Z6's onboard, so you're probably right. Thanks for the tip. By the way, you always seem to give good advice. Here are some other problems I am experiencing:

1. Very grabby, jerky front brakes that squeal at very slow speed. This only started happening after a long tour through California last week through all the rain.

2. The information screen goes very "dim" when I've left the bike standing outside in the sun. It doesn't need to be a very hot day, either - mid 70's will do it.

3. When adjusting the windshield up, sometimes just a little dab on the button will send it all the way up from it's lowest position. I didn't realize BMW offered the auto-up feature!

4. The cruise control has a mind of its own, sometimes slowing down by as much as 5-6 mph, sometimes switching itself off, sometimes jerkily decelerating hard, then speeding up just as fast as if to compensate.

I won't bore you with the other niggles, and really, the cruise control (and the auto-up windshield) doesn't worry me - it just unsettles my wife.

ShovelStrokeEd

Aw, just take it out back and shoot it.

Might be a good idea to take apart the switch gear on the left handlebar and see if any water has gotten inside. All your problems seem to relate to water as even the brakes will get a little tender after some corrosion has gotten onto the disks. That should go away after a couple of hard stops though and probably the squealing as well.

My RT does this too. I am on the Dunlop 220's though.

I try to keep the tire pressures up to spec but have noticed a bit of cupping. Not bad so I am not going to change the tires yet.

I am just under 3k miles. If I just lean/weave the bike I can hear it. Like you I thought it was something in the rear axle bearings, but nothing is loose.

Rich

1. Very grabby, jerky front brakes that squeal at very slow speed.

I know that there was a service bulletin about squeeky brakes on the GS, the RT is not listed, but you might check. HERE is a link to the bulletin.

Thanks Mike!

That looks like it might be the ticket. I have printed off this bulletin and I will mention it to the BMW dealer. Very helpful - thanks again!

Quint

Thanks Ed

I will take the switchgear apart and clean all the contacts. The dimming screen happened before the rain, though. I can live with this problem, because if it becomes so dim to be obvious, the dealer will fix it under warranty.

Cheers

Quint

The cruise control can give sudden deceleration if your hand has kept the throttle open when its trying to shut it (it doesn't take much force to override and often I haven't noticed I'm doing it). A minor relaxation in the grip can cause the throttle to close quite suddenly, it then overshoots the target speed and has to speed up again!

Paul

Archived