Jump to content

Strange A showing up in quote & posting


dirtrider

Recommended Posts

When I made a new post with quote yesterday these strange A's appeared in both the quote & my posting.  

 

The red underline was added by me in this picture to highlight the problem.

 

I want back in & edited my post to remove the A's (they showed up by themselves a couple hours AFTER my reply was posted).

 

 

Strange Change.JPG

Link to comment

Well, that's a good one .... particularly since they showed up after .  :5146: Don't have a handy answer but I'll see if I can find anything.  If it happens again, post here before you edit it.

Link to comment
6 minutes ago, chrisolson said:

Well, that's a good one .... particularly since they showed up after .  :5146: Don't have a handy answer but I'll see if I can find anything.  If it happens again, post here before you edit it.

 

The post is still there with the quoted part unedited.

Link to comment

Ahh Ok, I misunderstood.  Try highlighting all the text in the quote and then click the Tx symbol on the edit menu (4th from last) . That should clear any extraneous formatting.  Doesn't explain why its there

Link to comment
19 minutes ago, chrisolson said:

Ahh Ok, I misunderstood.  Try highlighting all the text in the quote and then click the Tx symbol on the edit menu (4th from last) . That should clear any extraneous formatting.  Doesn't explain why its there

 

OK, tried that & no change.

 

Orig posting

 

 

Link to comment

It was worth a try ... but as its apparently part of the actual text (rather than a formatting issue) that was ineffective.  Manually editing them out would be the only option.    

 

Still, how they got there is a mystery.  Their placement is also inconsistent. 

 

Nothing so far other than a vague possibility its a character encoding issue and although that sorta makes sense, hard to explain the "after post effect" .  

 

So for now, unresolved.

Link to comment
5 minutes ago, chrisolson said:

It was worth a try ... but as its apparently part of the actual text (rather than a formatting issue) that was ineffective.  Manually editing them out would be the only option.    

 

Still, how they got there is a mystery.  Their placement is also inconsistent. 

 

Nothing so far other than a vague possibility its a character encoding issue and although that sorta makes sense, hard to explain the "after post effect" .  

 

So for now, unresolved.

 

I should probably qualify the "after post effect". It wasn't there 'right' after posting but was there when I rechecked the posting a couple of hours later.

 

It's not a big deal to me, I just wanted to bring it to your attention.

Link to comment
  • 1 month later...

Dirt Rider,

 

That "strange A" looks a lot like a formatting mark.  Several years ago similar marks started showing up everywhere after a very young grandson took a turn at my keyboard.  It drove me nuts until I googled it and got it restored.  But I'm still nuts.

 

image.png.c05485d63963ed67f95098d2c53075ef.png

 

And:

 

image.png.8006c03ff9d350e046dd6e73c90d934d.png

 

Might be worth a try.

Link to comment

Sorry if this is a bit over most people's heads.  It's not a formatting mark.  It has to do with how the text was encoded and later decoded.  The quoted text was apparently originally encoded using the Unicode standard (UTF-8), and the character in question is a non-breaking space.  If the text is later decoded using the ISO 8859-1 standard, it decodes as Â.  I can't say exactly where and how the encoding and decoding took place.

 

Link to comment
1 hour ago, TestPilot said:

Sorry if this is a bit over most people's heads.  It's not a formatting mark.  It has to do with how the text was encoded and later decoded.

 

Makes perfect sense ... and the non-breaking space explains why I originally though the anomaly was not consistent.   It appeared to be leading each sentence except one.  But in the original text, the one that it didn't appear only had 1 space after the preceding sentence period while all others had 2.  But yes, its still a bit of a puzzle how it happened.

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...