IGNORED

Strange A showing up in quote & posting

dirtrider

When I made a new post with quote yesterday these strange A's appeared in both the quote & my posting.  

The red underline was added by me in this picture to highlight the problem.

I want back in & edited my post to remove the A's (they showed up by themselves a couple hours AFTER my reply was posted).

Strange Change.JPG

Well, that's a good one .... particularly since they showed up after .  :5146: Don't have a handy answer but I'll see if I can find anything.  If it happens again, post here before you edit it.

6 minutes ago, chrisolson said:

Well, that's a good one .... particularly since they showed up after .  :5146: Don't have a handy answer but I'll see if I can find anything.  If it happens again, post here before you edit it.

The post is still there with the quoted part unedited.

Ahh Ok, I misunderstood.  Try highlighting all the text in the quote and then click the Tx symbol on the edit menu (4th from last) . That should clear any extraneous formatting.  Doesn't explain why its there

19 minutes ago, chrisolson said:

Ahh Ok, I misunderstood.  Try highlighting all the text in the quote and then click the Tx symbol on the edit menu (4th from last) . That should clear any extraneous formatting.  Doesn't explain why its there

OK, tried that & no change.

Orig posting

It was worth a try ... but as its apparently part of the actual text (rather than a formatting issue) that was ineffective.  Manually editing them out would be the only option.    

Still, how they got there is a mystery.  Their placement is also inconsistent. 

Nothing so far other than a vague possibility its a character encoding issue and although that sorta makes sense, hard to explain the "after post effect" .  

So for now, unresolved.

5 minutes ago, chrisolson said:

It was worth a try ... but as its apparently part of the actual text (rather than a formatting issue) that was ineffective.  Manually editing them out would be the only option.    

Still, how they got there is a mystery.  Their placement is also inconsistent. 

Nothing so far other than a vague possibility its a character encoding issue and although that sorta makes sense, hard to explain the "after post effect" .  

So for now, unresolved.

I should probably qualify the "after post effect". It wasn't there 'right' after posting but was there when I rechecked the posting a couple of hours later.

It's not a big deal to me, I just wanted to bring it to your attention.

• 1 month later...

Dirt Rider,

That "strange A" looks a lot like a formatting mark.  Several years ago similar marks started showing up everywhere after a very young grandson took a turn at my keyboard.  It drove me nuts until I googled it and got it restored.  But I'm still nuts.

image.png.c05485d63963ed67f95098d2c53075ef.png

And:

image.png.8006c03ff9d350e046dd6e73c90d934d.png

Might be worth a try.

Sorry if this is a bit over most people's heads.  It's not a formatting mark.  It has to do with how the text was encoded and later decoded.  The quoted text was apparently originally encoded using the Unicode standard (UTF-8), and the character in question is a non-breaking space.  If the text is later decoded using the ISO 8859-1 standard, it decodes as Â.  I can't say exactly where and how the encoding and decoding took place.

1 hour ago, TestPilot said:

Sorry if this is a bit over most people's heads.  It's not a formatting mark.  It has to do with how the text was encoded and later decoded.

Makes perfect sense ... and the non-breaking space explains why I originally though the anomaly was not consistent.   It appeared to be leading each sentence except one.  But in the original text, the one that it didn't appear only had 1 space after the preceding sentence period while all others had 2.  But yes, its still a bit of a puzzle how it happened.