IGNORED

New GPS

Firefight911

Firefight911

I have reviewed and followed the many posts regarding GPS uses and issues. I have, finally, just ordered mine two weeks ago and am expecting to have it in my hot little hands this week. I am getting the BMW Nav II for my R1200ST.

My question is this: Where should I begin (other than, of course, reading the manual that it comes with)?

I want to get up to speed on how to use it, how to have it make life easier, make coffee, and warm my sleeping bag before crawling into it at night, etc.

Really, I want to know what everyone feels is the best way to get familiar with it. Shortcut tips, things not to do, etc.

Any help will be greatly appreciated as I have zero experience with GPS units.

TIA!!!!! wave.gifwave.gif

Jerry Johnston

The manual got me started, and when I started using it I'd copy the answer out of the manual and kept it until I learned thaat portion as well as asking questions from experts on this site. After a short while you'll pretty much know the basics. I also downloaded a small video on how to use Map Source that helped.

Hi Phil,

The gps is a great addition and I, like you, was concerned about getting up to speed when I first got one. The one thing you need to be vigilant about is not letting the unit distract you when you're riding. I would urge you to get out on some roads with as little traffic and as little access (i.e. side roads, stores, etc.) to get up to speed. I take a walk every day of around a mile and when I first got my gps I would take it with me and play with it then (may not be an option if yours isn't hand held). You could do some miles in the car with someone else driving. This will allow you to devote undivided attention to playing with the options. The bottom line is you want to be able to reach for the unit without looking at it and access whatever function you're looking for. I really enjoy mine and applaud you for the approach you're taking. Good luck and have fun. grin.gif

I got a Nav II a few weeks ago and really enjoy it. It has an option to use it indoors on a "practice ride", and I found this very helpful in terms of trying the different features from the comfort of my chair at home. The basic functions are quite intuitive, but I am finding ever more useful "gems" with further practice and experience.

Good luck!

Jay

Firefight911

Thanks for all the input. Just spoke with the dealer and they said that it should be in tomorrow or the day after.

I think that the wife will be doing some chaffeuring while I learn to play with the new toy.

A few practice rides in the fire engine, also! grin.gifgrin.gif

Thanks for the tips and the safety reminders. One can never get too many reminders about distractions.

Looking forward to becoming GPS savvy!!! thumbsup.gif

A few practice rides in the fire engine, also! grin.gifgrin.gif

Get a second mount for the truck and write it off as a work expense!! grin.gif

Thad

Firefight911

I love it!! Why didn't I think of that? I can put that with uniforms and tools!!

See, now that is what I love about this board! Helping a brother out! clap.gifthumbsup.gif

My 2730 arrives tomorrow. clap.gif Now I just have to decide which mount to buy for the RT. I really think I would like it mounted in a similar position as the Nav II. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Bryant

Released at the show in Germany, should be out anytime soon. Not good for us Nav II boys though. Got a system V helmet with WCS 1 and it cannot talk to me dopeslap.gif

I went with the NAVII mount for my 2720 on my R1200RT. I works great.

Where did you get a Nav II mount and how much, that's would be ideal, if it doesn't have the normal BMW, "BRING MORE WAMPUM" price tag attached. dopeslap.gif

Thanks

Bryant

Released at the show in Germany, should be out anytime soon. Not good for us Nav II boys though. Got a system V helmet with WCS 1 and it cannot talk to me dopeslap.gif

I have heard that the Nav III is based on the 2720, which does not have a earphone jack (unless they put it in the mount) no XM Radio and traffic capabilities, nor the MP3 player. The 2730 can also broadcast over the FM radio when it's in the cage. I only paid about $75 more for the 2730 over the 2720 price. I sure hope a Nav II mount will work with it.

Bryant

The NAVII mount is about $130 at your BMW store. You will also need the Garmin matching piece and the bike power supply which you can hardwire to your bike, both are available from Garmin. Your Garmin will come with a plug in 12v power cord for your car, along with a beanbag dash mount. You will be in business! I wired right to the bike battery with a fused circuit so the GPS would stay on during stops on the road. That wire comes with an audio out plug.

You can get the mount from GPSnow.com or even Garmin. I recall it being around $35 for the cradle....they also have mounts starting at $50.

The NAVII mount is about $130 at your BMW store. You will also need the Garmin matching piece and the bike power supply which you can hardwire to your bike, both are available from Garmin. Your Garmin will come with a plug in 12v power cord for your car, along with a beanbag dash mount. You will be in business! I wired right to the bike battery with a fused circuit so the GPS would stay on during stops on the road. That wire comes with an audio out plug.

I stopped by my dealer today, they had some trouble finding it but finally did, $130 for the mount with the four extra buttons, $130 for the connecting pieces to mount it to the steering head, and another $130 for the wiring harness.

Did you just get the cradle, and what about the plugs, there is a five pin on the back of the creadle that look proprietary. I have ordered the Garmin M/C mount but don't think it will mount anywhere as nicely as the BMW cradle.

Any help is appreciated. BTW, any pics of yours mounted?

Bryant

I find I can easily use my 2720 without the extra buttons. The BMW mount allows you to change the angle of the GPS while riding and it is a solid mount. I have the 1" spacers also, so my GPS is also up and back a bit.

Archived