IGNORED

Pirelli tires

Siki

Hey people, hope you are somewhere warmer then me in Toronto, Ontario Canada :classic_unsure:

I am thinking of replacing my stock Z6 Metzelers for Pirelli Angel Sport Touring. Any tips, comments on these ones.

Thank you :18:

8 hours ago, Siki said:

Hey people, hope you are somewhere warmer then me in Toronto, Ontario Canada :classic_unsure:

I am thinking of replacing my stock Z6 Metzelers for Pirelli Angel Sport Touring. Any tips, comments on these ones.

Thank you :18:

Morning Siki

Personally, I haven't used them but have a friend that has tried them on his 1200RT. When he first put them on he thought they were OK but the rear tire wore out quickly. I don't think he was using the E Spec tire on the rear though.

The heavier BMW boxer bikes should probably use the E Spec tire on the rear (especially if a load or passenger is carried).

The last set of tires that I had put on was the Angel GT.  DO make sure that you get the "A Spec." tires for your RT.  I have used Michelin PR2, Pr3, and PR4GT, as well as the Metzler Z8 that came on my '15 RT, and I like the Angel GT the best!  You will find that the steering and handling in fast curves to be quite light and very precise.  That lightness may disturb some riders, and so you should be aware of that.  The overall steering will be very light.  So far, I have about 4k miles on the pair, and I am estimating that I should get my normal 10k+ miles out of this pair, at the very least.  The wear seem to be quite good.  Front tire showed less cupping than the PR4GT at the same mileage.  For reference, I ride with the tires inflated to 40/42 psi F/R.

Wow thank you people for the responses. I ride a 2005 R1200 ST which is as far as I think not that heavy. So just to recap front tires A spec & rear E spec? Let me know

When is this spring gonna come here to us in the Big White North :5146:

55 minutes ago, PadG said:

Both A specs.  :)  DR was mistaken in his statement, but that was quite excusable!  :)

Morning PadG

As I mentioned above I haven't personally used the Pirelli Angel Sport Touring tire myself.

I got the rear tire  "E" spec data from the RevZilla web site.

ST tires.JPG

There are three versions of the Pirelli Angel tires for sport touring bikes, "ST", the "GT" and the new "GT II".

The ST tire for the R1200RT HexHead/CamHead BMW"s is a code "E" for the rear tire.

The GT for the R1200RT HexHead/CamHead BMW's is Code "A" for the front and rear tires.

The new GTII for the R1200RT HexHead/CamHead is also Code "A" for the front and rear tires.

These tires probably could be used on the WetHead RT's, even though Pirelli's website doesn't have any recommended tires for them.

I have used the Pirelli Angel ST "E" and the GT "A" and the standard ST and GT on my 2007 R1200RT HexHead. 

I really enjoyed them and got decent mileage from them. The ST "E" lasted longer than the standard ST. Then when the GT version became available, it lasted even longer, and the GT "A" front and rear tires lasted even further.

I did try them on my 2018 R1200RT-LC WetHead and they did not last as long as the Metzler Z-8 tires do.

Traditionally I don't get very good tire mileage, but on the HexHead I got around 7K miles, versus 8K miles with Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT and 4K miles with  Metzler RoadTec 01 HWM. On the Wethead I have been struggling to get 5K miles out of any tire solar. I think I will try Continental Road Attack 3 GT next, at least they are are cheaper then the Metzler/Pirelli and Michelin tires.

As for the question posted originally by @Siki, any of the Pirelli Angel tires will improve your bikes handling and feel over the older Metzler Z-6.

These tires are great dry or rain and if the road is wet with some dirt or grit mixed in, are very confidence inspiring.

• Like 1

My 2016 RT came with Metzlers. I felt glued to the road, very confidence building. No one has mentioned noise, and the Metzlers seemed noisey.  So I looked into Pirelli, and got Angel GT. They are quieter, but the handling is different. They are lighter on their feet. I have not had a problem, but I just don't have the same confidence that I had with the Metzlers. I felt I could push the bike down to the chicken strip if I needed to. I don't feel that way with the Angel GT's, but I haven't tried either. Not sure what to get next. I kind of want it all, handling, and low noise. Not concerned with mileage. 

I ran a set of the Angel GT's (on my 06 Hexhead) and I was happy with them. As others have mentioned, they offer a quicker turn in - I felt that was an advantage. I had no problem leaning the bike over and feeling planted. Interestingly, the Angle GT's are the only tire that I've worn out the front before the rear!  This set of tires were ridden hard and put away wet, as they say. They endured START and the UnRally in NC - so a lot of tight twisty roads. They then got me out to the East Coast before being replaced. I've not had a second set - mainly because I'm still searching for the elusive perfect tire. :lurk: I seem to remember the Angle GT's being less 'tippy'  as they wore vs PR4's.

I need a new set of shoes for my girl, and the GT's are on my short list of 2 or 3 brands. Who has the rebates and sale prices in the next few weeks will determine what Cinderella will wear.

Edited by Indy Dave

I did just notice American Moto Tire has the Bridgestone T-31 back at the old price of under $230 shipped. I will be ordering another set.......

10 hours ago, Indy Dave said:

Interestingly, the Angle GT's are the only tire that I've worn out the front before the rear! 

That's odd because both sets of the Roadsmart III's that I've had, the front was worn before the back.   Since the front tire change in January, I've  got 1000 miles on the bike and the rear still looks good, not to the wear bars yet and I wear them well past the wear bars.  New Roadsmart III hanging on the wall waiting its turn.

image.thumb.png.67858c81a33f1e7be630033c16317e45.png

2 hours ago, realshelby said:

I did just notice American Moto Tire has the Bridgestone T-31 back at the old price of under $230 shipped. I will be ordering another set.......

Terry, what pressures do you run in your T31's?

7 hours ago, Living the Dream said:

That's odd because both sets of the Roadsmart III's that I've had, the front was worn before the back.

That'll be the reason I'll need to replace my RS3s, too.  And it's the only tire where I've ever worn out the front tire first.  I run standard BMW-recommended pressures, BTW.

7 minutes ago, Bill_Walker said:

That'll be the reason I'll need to replace my RS3s, too.  And it's the only tire where I've ever worn out the front tire first.  I run standard BMW-recommended pressures, BTW.

Which are? And do you run the same pressures regardless of the brand, or do you vary your pressure between brands?

5 minutes ago, Indy Dave said:

Which are? And do you run the same pressures regardless of the brand, or do you vary your pressure between brands?

For my '15 R1200RT, 36.3/42.1 F/R (2.5/2.9 bar).  On my 1150, I always ran the pressures specified for two-up with luggage, even though I wasn't two-up: also 36.3/42.1.  Per notes from the PO in the Owner's Manual, that's what the dealer recommended.  And I run the same pressures regardless of brand, never having found any recommendations from the manufacturers to do otherwise.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Indy Dave said:

Terry, what pressures do you run in your T31's?

36 front, 42 rear for over 4000 miles. Just went to 39 rear. These are the A spec. I think 42 is too much in the rear for good wear, at least on the heavy sidewall A spec. I will probably buy a set of T-31's in the "regular" sidewall for the UN trip this year. The A spec rides a LOT more firm than the Dunlop RS3's did. I liked that smoother ride better!