IGNORED

Help? Oil everywhere!

REVz

Went out for a short spin today...1/2 mile from the house noticed smell of oil. Pulled into driveway major oil smoking, and dripping under cycle. It did not catch fire, clap.gif all the oil is in front of my house.

Upon cooling down, both me and the bike (R1100RT '96), it looks like the entire front of the engine is covered with oil. Does not appear to be any on the oil cooler. The master cyclinder (?) behind the oil cooler does look like it could be the source.

I won't be able to take a good hard look at it until next weekend as I will be out of town. Any thoughts on where to start?

Jerry Johnston

When I first got my 96 the cylinder on the right side cracked and had to be replaced. I looked like a burning bush going down the hiway. It was replaced under warrenty but three years later I had a leaky head gasket and had it replaced. I haven't had a leak since. I purchased a used cylinder w/piston (as a spare just in caser)from someone

selling in on this site for approx $150 w/less than 1k miles on it.

The leaky head gasket was hard to find because wind currents blew it all over the engine.

Oil glass is intact...A&S microfiche shows the master cyclinder part(?) but does not give a part number or name. I checked the same part for the 1150 but it is not there. It could also be any one of the hoses going into or out of that cyclinder.

Thanks for the ideas...

Thanks for the picture. Any ideas on how to test the idea? Refill oil turn bike back on for a short time or is that taking a chance too?

ShovelStrokeEd

Clean up the mess and refill the oil, with tank and all off, crank the starter, should be no need to run the motor on a leak of that magnitude. If nothing shows, some corn starch sprinkled around the fittings will quickly reveal a seep. Likely it is a crack in one of the hoses or a failed O-ring at one of the 4 banjo bolts up there.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. thumbsup.gif I will not be able to check it until late next Sunday...I hope it is just a hose or o-ring. It's going to kill me to wait a week to work on it... frown.gif

No_Twilight

Looks like banjo bolts. A leak that bad means something broke. You should be able to find it by just wiggling each hose. --Jerry

I have been fighting an oil leak on the right hand side of my 96RT, trying to convince myself it was everything but the head gasket. I am now out of components to change and still getting oil all over the rh side. I was hoping it was a minor leak (seal or oring) and spraying up but now feel like the head gasket on the bottom side is leaking. Does anyone have experience or guidance on making the change? The gasket is sold in a 3 or 4 component set. Does that mean head gasket and valve cover gaskets? thx.

ShovelStrokeEd

Probably head gasket, valve cover gasket and spark plug donut. The head gaskets can leak, when you take things apart, inspect the surfaces with a straight edge and feeler gauge. Actually, you don't need the feeler gauge, a little Krypton desk lamp will do. Make sure you have a good straight edge for this. I use one that I bought years ago from Starrett. About 1" high by 3/8" thick, ground and polished. It has served me well and is only used for inspections, never for scribing lines or anything horrible like that.

Archived