IGNORED

Battery Replacement

Bumwah

As we enjoy the winter weather, it gives me time to replace my aging battery. My 2004 R1150RT has had the same battery for as long as I've own "Big Wally" I'm leaning towards an AGM Battery and charger/tender. That's where this forum comes in. What say you?

Im waiting to hear from the unwashed masses... ( yes, you can wash if you want )

As an added note, Am I the only person in the world that thinks " Long Way Round " is a joke? I've watched 4 installments, and really don't think I'm going to watch more...

Even though you dissed Long Way Round, I'll still give you a good answer on the battery.  Odyssey PC680 no question with CTEK charger.  My previous Odyssey lasted 12 years even without the proper charger.  They're great batteries for our bikes.

Watch a few more installments of the series.  It starts slow but grows on you. IMHO.  Long Way Down is also a favorite.

• Like 2

I looked it up and the PC 680 has 16Ah, the specification for the battery is 19Ah, is this a factor to worry about or am I looking at the wrong battery?

23 minutes ago, Bumwah said:

I looked it up and the PC 680 has 16Ah, the specification for the battery is 19Ah, is this a factor to worry about or am I looking at the wrong battery?

Afternoon Bumwah

Amp hour rating really means nothing (within reason)  as that just tells you how long you can leave your lights on before the battery depletes to a certain voltage  level,  it doesn't give you 'starting amps'.  (we don't even know if the 16AH & the 19AH are rated to the same pull-down voltage do we?)

That is the reason that most vehicle  starting batteries are now rated on CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) than rated on Amp Hour rating. Real easy to fool people using AH (Amp Hour)  ratings but CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) are very difficult to fudge unless actually lying to the consumer)   

DR, thanx for joining the discussion... 

So the Odyssey has high CCA, is it AGM? Which model and charger?  The same one James suggested? Are there other battery options?

I would like to order everything and install and start wearing it all out. Again...

4 hours ago, Bumwah said:

DR, thanx for joining the discussion... 

So the Odyssey has high CCA, is it AGM? Which model and charger?  The same one James suggested? Are there other battery options?

I would like to order everything and install and start wearing it all out. Again...

Afternoon Bumwah

I wouldn't say the PC 680 is HIGH CCA but has plenty of Cold Cranking Amps to start your 1150 down to about any weather that you can ride in  (Personally I use the PC 680 in just about any motorcycle that I can fit it in).

The only downside to the PC 680 is that your motorcycle's charging system output voltage is just a little on the low side to FULLY re-charge it (it will charge close to fully charged but not quite all the way). That doesn't seem to be a big issue for most PC 680 users & IF you use a proper battery charger/maintainer then  it is a non issue. In  hot weather with a hot battery then your 1150 charging system will be real close.

The Ctek charger is a great charger for the PC 680. Personally, I have a few Ctek chargers but the smallest that I would recommend for the PC 680 is the  CTEK (56-864) MUS4.3 12 Volt Fully Automatic 8 Step Battery Charger. The PC 680 needs a little higher charging voltage so the  CTEK (56-864) MUS4.3 has a Snow Flake charging position (cold weather output that puts out just enough higher voltage to satisfy te PC 680's higher voltage demand).     

The smaller Ctek has enough voltage but not quite enough amps output to give the PC 680  a full absorption cycle so that is why I recommend the  CTEK (56-864) MUS4.3 as the smallest that you should use.

The Ctek is also a great general purpose battery charger as it has settings for many battery types/sizes.

Start your Ctek search on Amazon (to get a decent base price) then use that as price to search against on other web sites (sometimes Amazon will be the lowest & other times not so much, depends on the day & time) -- Don't forget to also figure shipping into the total cost.                                                             

Bumwah - I'll be the naysayer on this.  I bought an Odyssey PC680 for my R1100RT (same battery spec as the 1150) and promptly sold it off to someone else. It came with the "L" adapters to allow cable connections in the same placement as the typical RT battery, but I could not get the fit right or feel comfortable with interference with the tank.  Just my personal experience.  Lots of guys love the PC680 and go with buying the special chargers or modifying their alternators for higher output.  I just can't see all that extra effort.

I have always purchased AGM batteries for my RT.  I bought the Panasonic AGM, and I have also bought the "Universal Battery" UB-2220 (not quite sure of the model, but that's close).  Most recently, I bought the Yuasa AGM that fits the RT. The Yuasa YT19BL-BS. The "BS" indicates "bottle supplied". The AGM ships dry, with an acid bottle included in the packaging. The setup is easy. You uncover the six cells, where each cell opening has a pointed tip below the opening. The acid bottle has six matching spouts that fit into the six holes. You press the whole piece down so the compartments over each cell are pierced open and the exact acid amount fills each cell. Charge the battery for it's initial charge and you are done, with a FRESH battery.  It fits the 1100RT, gets fully charged by the bike system, and it has been working well in my bike for the last 17K miles.

• Like 1

I've also been happy with the PC680 in my R1100RT and K1200LT. I never used a special charger - just a Battery Tender brand small automatic charger when I wasn't going to be riding for an extended period. I had two PC680s in my RT - put one in when I bought it and a new one in before I sold it ten years later (the other one was still working, but sometimes wouldn't maintain enough charge if left to sit for a week or more). I did have one fail in the LT after about 25,000 miles, and as is cautioned with the Odysseys, it went all of a sudden from working one day to dead the next. Happened to be on a trip in Maine, found a dealer, they looked at the date stamp on the battery and swapped me for a new one without needing a receipt or anything other than my signature on a sales slip. 

As expected I will chime in with my heretic answer. Universal Battery UB12220 AGM. About  ~$50 shipped to your door. 

It isn't sold into the motorcycle market and is targeted to battery back up supplies, power failure emergency lighting, and electric wheel chair markets, so it doesn't get the mark up of the AGM batteries you see for motocycles.  To be fair, it isn't as heavy duty as a automotive battery which I am sure accounts for part of that price point. Might not use this battery in a for real off road ridden GS but on the paved roads that RTs roam it works fine.

Fits in the R1100 and R1150 bikes like it was made for the bike.  You will note the posts are not automotive heavy duty and you have to slightly ream the bolt holes to use the right size for your cables.  I have used 3 of these in my '99 RT for over 15+ years without any issues.   At $50, I replace them at 5 year intervals well before they go geriatric. I guess you would get 7 years of life if you use an AGM compatible battery tender when you aren't riding or lay the bike up over winter.

I know many people on this board swear by the Odyssey PC680.  I went with a different battery, the Powersonic PSH-12180 which I got from BatteryPlex.  I am on my second one now and they last a long long time.  I do charge it with a BatteryTender if I'm not riding it every day.  Much cheaper by almost 3 times than the PC680 and I have never had trouble with it.  Fits the bike just fine.

Can find it here: http://www.batteryplex.com/powersonic.cfm/m/PSH-12180-FR

PSH-12180-FR.jpg

They sell the Odyssey as well.   I have no connection to the store other than being a satisfied customer.

I recently replaced a Shorai Lithium (will not buy one again as it (a) was poorer than expected in colder temps, and (b) the batter outer case became cracked/chipped despite normal/reasonable care).

I went with a Westco AGM from Beemer Boneyard and have been very happy with it after 3 seasons.

"Brand new Westco12V20P AGM sealed battery for all Oilheads (R850/1100/1150 & R1200C), K1200RS/GT/LT (all years), K1300GT, K1600GT/GTL and all K75/100/1100 built after 9/92. Will also fit the R1200RT (2005-2013), and R65 (all models), R80 bikes from '84 On & all /5 Airheads This is an absorbed gas mat sealed battery that puts out 275 cold cranking amps and can be charged with a standard battery tender or any other motorcycle battery charger. Carries a 12 month no questions asked replacement warranty."

Well... after a very wet weekend, 2 boxes showed up at my doorstep. A PC680 and Ctek Polar battery charger.

I decided to try the charger first. After changing the low voltage side to use my adapter for plugging into the bike, I turned on the charger and waited. When it said full charge, I disconnected the charger and started the bike. It was like having a new battery. The big bonus is, I didn't have to reset the clock. I think that my original problem was, that my battery charger could not adjust to the cooler weather here in the frozen tundra of Northern California. It did get as cold as 34 degrees. As a opposed to Chicago's -50. Either way things are Great! When the rain stops I'll test it out and during the Spring I'll change the battery. Thank You to all that responded! It was fun and helpful!

22 minutes ago, Bumwah said:

Well... after a very wet weekend, 2 boxes showed up at my doorstep. A PC680 and Ctek Polar battery charger.

I decided to try the charger first. After changing the low voltage side to use my adapter for plugging into the bike, I turned on the charger and waited. When it said full charge, I disconnected the charger and started the bike. It was like having a new battery. The big bonus is, I didn't have to reset the clock. I think that my original problem was, that my battery charger could not adjust to the cooler weather here in the frozen tundra of Northern California. It did get as cold as 34 degrees. As a opposed to Chicago's -50. Either way things are Great! When the rain stops I'll test it out and during the Spring I'll change the battery. Thank You to all that responded! It was fun and helpful!

Evening  Bumwah

That Ctek should cover about any (normal) 12v battery that you hook it to (except some of the Lithium  & LiFi).

The colder the battery the higher the voltage it takes to top it off (within reason) so the Ctek excels there. Then add the cold battery to an AGM battery type & most older chargers are way too low on charging voltage to top off completely.   

Be sure to fully charge your new PC 680 before storing until spring use (it probably wasn't shipped fully charged).   

• 11 months later...

Photographs?

How are you trying to get it out?

Normally it is Side panels off,  Tank  either off, or lifted at the rear [and supported].

If it is a non Gel / AGM battery, breathers to be removed. 

Undo the +ve  (and its remote jumper post if fitted)and -ve  terminals.

Unclip the rubber retaining strap.

Lift the battery out.

2 hours ago, taoman said:

Hi y’all!

I put an oversized battery on a 2004 RT 1150 but I can’t get it out now!

any help would be much appreciated!

Thank you very much!

Afternoon taoman

After you remove the L/H plastic Tupperware you then need to remove the air filter cover & remove air intake snorkel.

With an oversized battery you might need to lift the rear of the fuel tank a bit to slide the battery out but most battery's will come out without lifting the fuel tank rear.

My approach has always been that if any modification to the bike is required to fit a battery, it's not a battery made for my bike and I'm not buying it.  This means exact same dimensions, exact same terminals, matching capacity.

That's just me, but I know also that this doesn't hurt me.  It's just a cost of doing business ... as for sure shipping batteries is a significant expense and OE BMW batteries are shipped from Europe.  I believe BMW has a USA supplier for car batteries but not for bike batteries.  (They build cars in the USA, so of course.)

If I'm home and if I've not just ridden my bike and plan also to ride it tomorrow, the charger will be attached.  I normally see 7-year life for batteries, which is pretty good I think.  Have no desire to seek more, especially if there are compromises.  The battery BMW fits is a quality item and not underspecified.

On 2/11/2019 at 5:27 PM, Bumwah said:

Bumwah,

I'm guessing you charged the "old" battery in the bike with the new Ctec in the description above.  If that old battery is an AGM, OR if you do replace it with the PC680,  you might want to check the voltage gegulator in the Bosch alternator.  An AGM battery needs 14.5-14.7 volts to charge 100%.  The volt regs that came in these bikes (before AGM's were popular) only put out about 13.5 v which will only charge an AGM to about 80%.  The ECU (spark and fuel injectors) works best with a fully charged battery.  An AGM will last much longer properly and fully charged.  EME sells a volt reg for about $40 that gets the charge current up to the 14.5-7v.  https://www.euromotoelectrics.com/BOSCH-Voltage-Regulator-BMW-R-K-p/boalt-reg365.htm

Some helpful info on AGM batteries is here: https://www.batteryminders.com/agm-battery-info/  and  https://www.batteryminders.com/avoid-battery-sulfation/

Safe travels!!

Im sure the PC 680 is a fine battery as many here profess...but it reminds me with this last post of regulator change, special battery charge, special charging, desulfination process, etc of an old joke.  I'll abbreviate it some but you will get the idea.

Old farmer and wife go into town to get supplies.  Stop in Western Auto ( for you old folks).  Wife sees TV and says I want TV.  Salesman pouring it on.  Reluctant husband agrees after wife threatens to hold out (make up your own story here).  Husband heads to the register and salesman says you will need an outside antenna mounted on your roof.  Husband blows up at wife and says I told you...one thing leads to another...now we got to get a roof.

• Thanks 1

I once used a Panasonic LC-X1220P on my R1100R.  It lasted 9 years!  

Only downside was that capacity to crank over the engine was limited.  If for some reason the bike was hard starting, you only had a few stabs at the starter button before the battery ran down.  Also starter cranking speed sounded slower than traditional lead acid battery.

1 hour ago, Mattlo said:

I once used a Panasonic LC-X1220P on my R1100R.  It lasted 9 years!  

Only downside was that capacity to crank over the engine was limited.  If for some reason the bike was hard starting, you only had a few stabs at the starter button before the battery ran down.  Also starter cranking speed sounded slower than traditional lead acid battery.

Morning Mattlo

That is fairly typical of the UB12220 type power supply batteries that are used as a starting battery. (they are not designed to be used as starting battery's)

Those UB (universal battery) are designed for longer term lower current type conditions so have a pretty good amp hour rating (at low amp continuous output) BUT that AH rating is calculated at very low continuous amp output not high current starting type conditions. 

Under high amp requirements (like engine  starting) their amp hour rating drops dramatically with some being well under an 8 AH rating.

That is also the reason that you never see a CCA rating on those UB SLA type power supply batteries as they typically have dismal CCA (engine starting) performance. Under COLD engine cranking with SLA battery output lower & engine starting drag higher you have a very short cranking time frame before battery output voltage drops to below the voltage required to run the bike's electronics & ignition system.

If you have a quick starting easily fired engine then they will usually  work OK, if you have a reluctant starting engine, or it's real cold,  then not so much.

Interesting.  I have never experienced the premature crank down issue with the UB 12220. In fact, these batteries have cranked my R1100 faster than the OEM flooded LA battery and never have given the dreaded low voltage ABS fault on start up.    Nothing but good from my experience with these batteries. I guess the key here is to define what the extended crank time is. My 'ol boy still fires right up so I have never had to crank the crap out of it. Actually, it isn't recommended that you crank for more that a few seconds before letting the starter and wires cool for a few seconds. Maybe one thing that has helped me avoid that issue is that I do keep that bike on an AGM compatible smart charger often enough to have that battery get back to full charge as the OEM regulator is not optimized for an AGM battery.

On 2/6/2019 at 11:14 AM, Bumwah said:

for as long as I've own "Big Wally"

So... how long is that?  I have a sister bike - 2004 R1150RT - and have never gotten more than a few years.  I have a BMW charger that I keep connected when not riding (either wrong to do that or BMW) and still have my batteries crap out in 2 to 3 years.   This is true for both BMW batteries and ones I have gotten aftermarket from sources like Bob's.