IGNORED

Garmin Express map updates failing

steve.foote

Ever since the 2019.x map updates have been published by Garmin, I've been having trouble downloading them.  In each case I had to attempt the updates several times before they would eventually work.  It's happing again with the new 2020.10 update which was released January 30th.

What basically happens in my case is that the update starts normally and during step 2 of 2 it hangs for some time at 49.7% (first image) before eventually failing with an error message (second image).  I've tried this on two different computers and it doesn't matter whether I'm attempting to install the updated map on the computer, the device, or both.  Same result each time.

Previously, it would eventually succeed when I tried it again several days later, but that has not been the case so far.  I'm planning on launching a support request with Garmin next week, but wanted to see if anyone here has been experiencing the same thing.  I couldn't find anything on Google specifically related to the 49.7% level mine is failing at, and the generic troubleshooting article from Garmin has not solved the problem.

492512526_49.7.JPG.51e491f87bbdaddafe25e60969b269e5.JPG

Error.JPG.f3074e0c9fba0e6f7c0cafb78a313bb9.JPG

7 hours ago, RightSpin said:

Ever since the 2019.x map updates have been published by Garmin, I've been having trouble downloading them.  In each case I had to attempt the updates several times before they would eventually work.  It's happing again with the new 2020.10 update which was released January 30th.

What basically happens in my case is that the update starts normally and during step 2 of 2 it hangs for some time at 49.7% (first image) before eventually failing with an error message (second image).  I've tried this on two different computers and it doesn't matter whether I'm attempting to install the updated map on the computer, the device, or both.  Same result each time.

Previously, it would eventually succeed when I tried it again several days later, but that has not been the case so far.  I'm planning on launching a support request with Garmin next week, but wanted to see if anyone here has been experiencing the same thing.  I couldn't find anything on Google specifically related to the 49.7% level mine is failing at, and the generic troubleshooting article from Garmin has not solved the problem.

492512526_49.7.JPG.51e491f87bbdaddafe25e60969b269e5.JPG

Error.JPG.f3074e0c9fba0e6f7c0cafb78a313bb9.JPG

Good morning @RightSpin.

I just updated my maps on my Nav VI to City Navigator 2020.10 and no problems.

You may want to make sure you have the newest version of the Garmin Express (6.11.0.0), which has seen several updates lately.

Of course it could be a Windows problem or a ram/hard drive space problem.

• Like 1

To add to what Bernie said, the latest update to Garmin Express (6.11.0.0) indicated it contained "critical updates".  Thanks Bernie, I just updated Express, but haven't tried the map update yet.

• Like 1

Steve . .  probably not your issue, but.... have you tried doing a total shut down and start up of your Garmin? I've noted that GE does not see that the unit has been updated until the unit is disconnected and rebooted and runs the updates itself. That brings up the "there are new updates, do you want to restart your device?" (or something like that). Then restarting (for the second time) loads up the new updates and now when hooking back up to your computer of choice, GE now sees the updates have been applied to the unit and no longer tires to download them (again and again and again) onto the unit.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, RightSpin said:

Morning RightSpin

It looks like you are trying to download the new map to GPS directly. If the GPS storage is a little bit too full it can hang the map install.

The new Garmin maps are big so need a lot  of GPS storage space.

Try downloading the the new map to COMPUTER ONLY then use MapInstall or MapSource to install to your GPS. If the new (large) map update goes onto your computer easily & without issue then suspect a full GPS drive.

You can back up your GPS drive(s) to you computer then delete foreign languages, & other non-essential  drive clutter.

Personally I NEVER do a direct map download to my GPS as I download to computer 'only' then install either the full map or usually just my part of the country map as (I don't need strange islands or deep in Mexico for my everyday usage.

I also, usually install my home state & the states around my state  to the GPS proper  (main drive), then install the remainder of the mapping to the SD card that is in my GPS. I then, ONLY update the state ( & surrounding states) every update & update the remainder of the mapping every 2 nd or 3rd update (unless I am planning  an out of state trip, then I upload the remainder before the trip.  

To download to computer only--

With GPS connected, & Garmin Express open to download mapping, click on (view details), then click on (installation options), then at bottom of opened box click on (computer only).

Note the file size___ 1.01 GB (that's large)

A54VV5R.jpg

• Like 1

The new Garmin maps are big so need a lot  of GPS storage space

As Dirt Rider mentioned above, since your update starts and then fails to finish I have suspicions that might be your problem.  I was nearly running short on memory a year ago and added some memory to my Zumo 660.  I've slept since installing the added memory, but I had no problems.  I recently updated my maps on a Windows 10 PC with no hiccups.

Add memory

• Like 1

I appreciate all the replies.  It's helping a lot.  Just to answer the latest recommendations, I am using Windows 10 with all the latest updates applied.  I'm also using Sophos antivirus which I am currently testing an update with it disabled.  The behavior of updating the maps on the computer is the same as when I try to do it on the device.  I am going to look at free space on the device and do a hard reboot (pull battery) one more time to test.  And, finally, with GE and Basecamp, I have to take the whole map update on the device.  The previous ways of using Mapsource, Mapinstall with my Zumo 550 don't seem to work the same with the Nav V.

And, as I'm typing this, the test install with AV disabled also failed.  Time to pull the battery...

Thanks all for the help!  I'll report back if/when I figure out the smoking gun.

One possibility - If you have allowed Basecamp to "upgrade" to version 4.7.0, a new version of MapInstall (used by Express in the background) was also installed, which is known to create various problems. Details and work-arounds are here: https://openmtbmap.org/tutorials/basecamp-4-7-0/.  

Connecting my Zumo 595 just now, Express updated itself to  6.11.1.0. It says the 595 is up to date, using the City Navigator North America NT 2019.30 map.

I'm sticking to using the older Basecamp 4.6.2 with MapInstall 4.0.4.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, lkraus said:

One possibility - If you have allowed Basecamp to "upgrade" to version 4.7.0, a new version of MapInstall (used by Express in the background) was also installed, which is known to create various problems. Details and work-arounds are here: https://openmtbmap.org/tutorials/basecamp-4-7-0/.  

Connecting my Zumo 595 just now, Express updated itself to  6.11.1.0. It says the 595 is up to date, using the City Navigator North America NT 2019.30 map.

I'm sticking to using the older Basecamp 4.6.2 with MapInstall 4.0.4.

Thanks Larry.  Does GE show a map update 2020.10 available for your device?  And, if so, have you tried installing it?

38 minutes ago, RightSpin said:

I appreciate all the replies.  It's helping a lot.  Just to answer the latest recommendations, I am using Windows 10 with all the latest updates applied.  I'm also using Sophos antivirus which I am currently testing an update with it disabled.  The behavior of updating the maps on the computer is the same as when I try to do it on the device.  I am going to look at free space on the device and do a hard reboot (pull battery) one more time to test.  And, finally, with GE and Basecamp, I have to take the whole map update on the device.  The previous ways of using Mapsource, Mapinstall with my Zumo 550 don't seem to work the same with the Nav V.

And, as I'm typing this, the test install with AV disabled also failed.  Time to pull the battery...

Thanks all for the help!  I'll report back if/when I figure out the smoking gun.

Afternoon  RightSpin

It's also possible that your internet provider is blocking large downloads or blocking some content.

When I suspect something like this I temporarily change my (computer's)  DNS to 8.8.8.8 ( then tic use this DNS to change from automatically obtain) as 8.8.8.8 is Goggle provider that pretty well allows anything through.  

Downloading to computer ONLY should eliminate any BaseCamp & Mapinstall issues as effecting the  download.

Now, I've pulled the battery (hard reboot) and even removed the SD card I've been using for music.  Still no go.  After pulling the battery, it now stops at 49.5%.  I've looked at the files on the Nav V and can't find anything I think I can lose.  I'm going to look through the logs next and see if they show anything.

Express is not showing me any firmware or map updates, says I'm current.    

I suppose that the BMW Navigator could get a special version of the maps, but I've not heard of that before.

4 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Afternoon  RightSpin

It's also possible that your internet provider is blocking large downloads or blocking some content.

When I suspect something like this I temporarily change my (computer's)  DNS to 8.8.8.8 ( then tic use this DNS to change from automatically obtain) as 8.8.8.8 is Goggle provider that pretty well allows anything through.  

That's a good point D.R.  I used to use google DNS, but have recently switched to CloudFlare (1.1.1.1) due to a couple of random 8.8.8.8 outings I've experienced during the day.  I use my computers all day, and run data streaming applications constantly, so I see instantly if something is wrong.  No problems (aside from the Google DNS issues) on that.  Ditto for large files.  I can pull just about anything down I want.

6 minutes ago, lkraus said:

Express is not showing me any firmware or map updates, says I'm current.    

That's interesting.  I wonder if they are phasing the map updates by device.  2020.10 started notifying me Thursday.

19 minutes ago, RightSpin said:

That's interesting.  I wonder if they are phasing the map updates by device.  2020.10 started notifying me Thursday.

Afternoon  RightSpin 

I have a bunch of older GPS units so plugged them in & checked  & they ALL show 2020.1 available for download.

4 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Afternoon  RightSpin 

I have a bunch of older GPS units so plugged them in & checked  & they ALL show 2020.1 available for download.

Good to know.  BTW, the DNS change didn't work.  Same issue.  I'm reading the Express logs right now.  It looks like one of their servers is timing out.  I'll post the error when I finish this latest attempt.  BTBTW, here is the update from my perspective:

Update.JPG.2ec4d0e9d3f70f6e6c7e53bb476b47f4.JPG

That's a BIIIG file!

15 minutes ago, RightSpin said:

Good to know.  BTW, the DNS change didn't work.  Same issue.  I'm reading the Express logs right now.  It looks like one of their servers is timing out.  I'll post the error when I finish this latest attempt.  BTBTW, here is the update from my perspective:

That's a BIIIG file!

Afternoon RightSpin

That 5.74 GB doesn't sound right (no wonder it times out). I wonder if there is a checksum issue. If that is correct then that is largest Garmin download that I have ever seen.

Personally, I wouldn't get too excited about it not downloading TODAY as I have seen Garmin download issues in the past that are gone a day or two later when Garmin fixes the specific  problems that are effecting certain downloads.

Have you updated Garmin Express to the latest version?  (it usually wants to do that automatically when you plug your GPS unit into your computer).

Have you tried downloading 'Canada & Border States'  (that usually covers the entire US,  Canada, most of Mexico, etc?

If THAT works then there is possibly a problem with 'Full Coverage North America' & Garmin will probably fix that in a day or two.

The wait-a-few-days thing is what has 'fixed' my previous issues.  It's just that it's happened every single map update since I updated to 2019.x.  I'd like to figure it out once and for all.  And, yes, I have the latest GE installed.  I'm running a final test run for the day and them I'm going to paste the raw logs up here for that session then wait until mid-next week before trying again and launching a support incident.  Perhaps someone else with the same GPS as I'm using will chime in in the mean time.  I definitely appreciate the help from everyone so far.  This is the true strength of our community!

Afternoon RightSpin

I presume that you are downloading as Administrator? You seem pretty darn computer savvy.  (if you aren't then that could (possibly) cause a downloading issue)

I have also heard about   'possible'  Garmin download  problems if the date, time, and time zone settings are not correct on your computer (especially win 10) as it (supposedly)  causes issues staying linked to the Garmin download site. (I haven't ever seen this myself but it has been reported  in that past)

Are you downloading over Wi-Fi, if so maybe you have a bottle neck there. I haven't tried the Garmin map download  over Wi-Fi as I have my home & shop linked directly over Ethernet as it is a fair amount faster for large  file transfer  than my Wi-Fi  on my home networks. 

Yup, running as administrator.  Hard linked PC and the time/date is correct.  I owned my own computer services company for 22 years, so yeah, I'm familiar with these things.  But, it never hurts to have another set of eyes, or two, on the problem.  At this point, I'm leaning towards to it being the following error found in the logs:

2019-02-02 13:03:05.5610 |  30 | W | Download failed for [MyDownloader] URL: http://downloadg.garmin.com/RMU/NA/2020_10/94d62f6b-2a06-40bc-8503-a907ca6c750a/IMG/City Navigator North America NT 2020.10.gmap/Product1/00718622/I18EDAD6.GMP?garmindlm=1549216324_ff78eb6ab52f7a051f07dd06fb58c6b9.
System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (504) Gateway Timeout.

I'm not exactly sure what the line I've placed in red means, but it looks like a potential server issue on their end.  At this point I'm going to sit back for a few days and see if it fixes itself.  I've attached the entire log for this last session if any masochists here want to take a peek at it.  :-)

Thanks again DirtRider and everyone else for the help!  I'll post up a resolution on this here when I get it figured out.

Logs.txt

Edited by RightSpin
Added two more answers to D.R.'s last post.
13 minutes ago, RightSpin said:

Yup, running as administrator.  I owned my own computer services company for 22 years, so yeah, I'm familiar with these things.  But, it never hurts to have another set of eyes, or two, on the problem.  At this point, I'm leaning towards to it being the following error found in the logs:

I'm not exactly sure what the line I've placed in red means, but it looks like a potential server issue on their end.  At this point I'm going to sit back for a few days and see if it fixes itself.  I've attached the entire log for this last session if any masochists here want to take a peek at it.  :-)

Thanks again DirtRider and everyone else for the help!  I'll post up a resolution on this here when I get it figured out.

Logs.txt

Afternoon RightSpin

Doesn't  '(504) Gateway Timeout' usually mean that the host has timed out? If so then the problem is more than likely on Garmin's end. Might still be a bottle neck in the data transfer that causes the timeout though.

Have you tired the 'Canada & surrounding states' (download to computer only to see if it works then dump it later if you change to full North America). I know 'Canada & surrounding states' is working as I just downloaded it this morning.

4 hours ago, marcopolo said:

To add to what Bernie said, the latest update to Garmin Express (6.11.0.0) indicated it contained "critical updates".  Thanks Bernie, I just updated Express, but haven't tried the map update yet.

Rats!  So I had an older version of Garmin Express and updated it after seeing this.  Now when I bring up Garmin Express, it comes up with a blank screen.  It doesn't recognize I had any maps.  So I thought, maybe I have to connect my Zumo 660 to my pc first (I didn't have to in the old version).  But nope, that didn't work either.

Wait.  I take it back.  It just came up after about 8 minutes.   whew!

Downloading the new map now.  Usually I download to both device and computer, but this time I am going just to my PC.  Since this is a first for me, how do I transfer the new map to the device afterwards?

• Like 1

had the same problem last night....timed out twice....the fix for me was to close all other apps and windows on my PC and wiggle the mouse every little bit to make sure it stayed alive.  It all downloaded fine to pc and to Nav5.  Tested the Nav5 on the bike today and all good.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, RightSpin said:

Just to answer the latest recommendations, I am using Windows 10 with all the latest updates applied. 

Well, there's your problem right there! :classic_biggrin:

Good luck, Steve!

• Haha 1

A couple of years ago, I had the same problem.  Called Garmin and eventually got to one of the techs who tapped into my computer and found that the version of Garmin Express I had contained a number of corrupt components.  He toggled a number of 1s and 0s as he dug deeper, and eventually fixed it.  When you get to your frustration point, call them and I'm sure they would be happy to help.  They know that our community is a big user and supporter of their products.  Good luck.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Bill_Walker said:

Based on what @RandyShields said, maybe uninstalling and re-installing Garmin Express would be the way to go.  But then you'd probably have to add back all your devices.

Morning Bill

Garmin Express usually finds each one on it's own as they are plugged into the computer.

Update ( Solved )

Well, I figured it out.  I had some time this afternoon and started digging through my firewall policies and found out it was a bandwidth-throttling policy on the 'software updates' category that was hanging the update.  I'm not sure why it allowed the update to download and then caused a server timeout error before it could activate the update, but that's what was happening.  Once I narrowed it down to that specific firewall policy, I was able to exempt *.garmin.com from the firewall rules and all is well.

Again, thanks to everyone for all the help.  It was particularly helpful to know that others weren't having the same issue which pointed me in the right direction.

Cheers

• Like 2
13 hours ago, RightSpin said:

Update ( Solved )

Well, I figured it out.  I had some time this afternoon and started digging through my firewall policies and found out it was a bandwidth-throttling policy on the 'software updates' category that was hanging the update.  I'm not sure why it allowed the update to download and then caused a server timeout error before it could activate the update, but that's what was happening.  Once I narrowed it down to that specific firewall policy, I was able to exempt *.garmin.com from the firewall rules and all is well.

Again, thanks to everyone for all the help.  It was particularly helpful to know that others weren't having the same issue which pointed me in the right direction.

Cheers

Morning RightSpin

Thanks for the follow up.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 2/2/2019 at 9:51 AM, dirtrider said:

Morning RightSpin

It looks like you are trying to download the new map to GPS directly. If the GPS storage is a little bit too full it can hang the map install.

The new Garmin maps are big so need a lot  of GPS storage space.

Try downloading the the new map to COMPUTER ONLY then use MapInstall or MapSource to install to your GPS. If the new (large) map update goes onto your computer easily & without issue then suspect a full GPS drive.

You can back up your GPS drive(s) to you computer then delete foreign languages, & other non-essential  drive clutter.

Personally I NEVER do a direct map download to my GPS as I download to computer 'only' then install either the full map or usually just my part of the country map as (I don't need strange islands or deep in Mexico for my everyday usage.

I also, usually install my home state & the states around my state  to the GPS proper  (main drive), then install the remainder of the mapping to the SD card that is in my GPS. I then, ONLY update the state ( & surrounding states) every update & update the remainder of the mapping every 2 nd or 3rd update (unless I am planning  an out of state trip, then I upload the remainder before the trip.  

To download to computer only--

With GPS connected, & Garmin Express open to download mapping, click on (view details), then click on (installation options), then at bottom of opened box click on (computer only).

Note the file size___ 1.01 GB (that's large)

That was my problem. I was trying to install maps on the device and got a —memory full— error message. Thanks a bunch.