IGNORED

Rotor replacement

neilsr1100rt

Hello all.  I'm looking to replace my front and rear rotors on a 2000 R1100RT.    The bike is up there in miles and am looking to sell in a year or so for an upgrade.  The local mechanic provided a few options which are OEM but quite expensive.  Any suggestions for an aftermarket brand that are of good quality but not the overtop pricing of a dealer.  Thanks much.

Why not go to Motorworks (in the uk, or the likes - I guess Beemer Boneyard in the 'States) and get some good secondhand rotors, new bolts, new pads and replacement (new) bobbin kit.

If you are looking at selling the bike anyway, does this work REALLY need doing. I am saying are you down to the service limit. You won't get the value of the parts back in re-sale value.

6 hours ago, neilsr1100rt said:

Hello all.  I'm looking to replace my front and rear rotors on a 2000 R1100RT.    The bike is up there in miles and am looking to sell in a year or so for an upgrade.  The local mechanic provided a few options which are OEM but quite expensive.  Any suggestions for an aftermarket brand that are of good quality but not the overtop pricing of a dealer.  Thanks much.

Morning  neilsr1100rt

As Andy says, is a brake rotor replacement really needed on a bike that you are intending on selling in a year?

If the rotors are worn to (or near) the low side limits you can use them for another year if you keep thicker brake pads on it.

If the rotors are worn way below the minimum limits then you probably do need to replace them for braking security.  

E-Bay is a good place to purchase decent brake rotors at a significant savings but you REALLY need to trust the seller & get some guarantees that the used rotors are not worn to the lower limits, bent, or otherwise damaged. You need to ask the right questions &  get credible answers to do the E-Bay thing but with proper communication & good understandings I have bought a number of brake parts on E-Bay without issue.

If your front rotors are otherwise in good condition but just loose & rattle then you can buy new bobbins to tighten them up (or just live with the rattles for a year).

Tell us WHY you need to replace your brake rotors so we can understand where you are headed.

Hey Neils,

I'll echo dirtrider's comments.  It is rare to need to replace a rotor.

I had one become damaged on my RT (long story) and went with a replacement from Beemer Boneyard.  Lots of choices and good quality. 

However, the brake bobbins do wear and cause a lot of rattling and potentially they can fall apart.

When a potential buyer sees the discs rattling, he then may think twice about the purchase. So I would recommend inspecting the front brake rotor bobbins.

12 hours ago, neilsr1100rt said:

Don't be coy, tell us what "up there in miles" really means.  The previous posts are good. Can you tell us what the actual thickness of the current rotors are?  

If below minimum thickness, EBC makes excellent quality replacement rotors for roughly half the cost of the OEM replacements.  I've replaced front and rear rotors, with EBC. I also got a set of used front rotors. They were in good condition, no warping, no pulsing, but they were not as thick as the ad said they were. Still at the price I paid they were still a good bargain.  My rear rotor is approaching minimum, so I bought a Chinese knock-off of the OEM rotor. Stainless steel, looks well made, but it will be a while before I mount it and get to check it out.

The back story is while the bike is being repaired (clutch and drive shaft), one of the things the mechanic also suggested I address are the brake rotors that are near or slightly below the 4.5mm min thickness spec.  I have a caliper and verified this thickness.

I'll have to make the decision to keep this bike for a while depending on the repair cost but regardless the decision to sell, I would want to have sound brakes for myself during the year or so of riding as well as for the next rider.

Great suggestions all around as I am scouring Motoworks, Beemer boneyard, ebay, etc.  The EBC replacement rotors mentioned by Michaelr11seem to be reasonable and within my budget range.

Thanks to all who replied to this post.  Each one is a contribution worthy of following up with.  Thanks again.