Sign in to follow this  
Dennis Andress

What if you were 20 something in today's world?

Bill_Walker
On 3/5/2019 at 9:38 AM, John Ranalletta said:

I have a deeply held and well-proven philosophy of life: Don't believe what people say.  Observe what they do.

All the well-heeled warming acolytes want me to shrink my carbon footprint as they burn petrol at alarming rates in their G5s going from warming meeting to warming meeting.

Also, you should be paying attention to the science, regardless of what the "well-heeled warming acolytes" are doing.

Here's an analogy for you:
Imagine you're about to get on an airplane with your entire family: Your parents, your wife and kids, and your pregnant daughter-in-law.
Imagine that while you're waiting, you overhear a heated argument among the airline's mechanics. In a group of about 20, 19 of them are angrily arguing with just one. The 19 of them are insisting that the plane has a mechanical problem they fear will be catastrophic for the airplane you're about to get on. One of them isn't concerned enough about the evidence, and prefers to either 'wait and see', or else just wants the other 19 to shut up about what they've seen.
Now my question to all of you:
Would you get on that airplane?
It's pretty easy to answer this question, right?
But let's change the focus to global climate change. On that topic, more than 95% of professional experts in the relevant subfields agree that human activity is causing global climate change, and that the long-term consequences will be catastrophic to our descendants.
MOST 'conservative' media outlets are encouraging you and your family to get on that plane. They tell you: Just ignore those mechanics! They're in a giant conspiracy to lie! Someone's paying them off! Only believe that one guy (who, actually, MIGHT be getting paid off).

Bill_Walker

Though there may be a public debate, there's no debate among scientists like us — decades of research have demonstrated that human activities, primarily the emission of carbon dioxide from the combustion of fossil fuels, are driving the climate change we are experiencing.

To understand why we are so confident, it's useful to think about climate change as a whodunit. Climate does not change by itself, so scientists are detectives trying to solve the mystery of what has been warming the Earth for the past century.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/local/gray-matters/article/science-climate-change-combustion-fossil-fuels-13327165.php?fbclid=IwAR2rsqInvCTBrFuA7AmIX38Llgn6Nes77CQ5XbyV_AWoIy10bDgXU5_wUlA

Paul De

Politicians pander for the votes as a first priority and all the money by special interests will eventually yield when a motivated electorate gets them to pull away from the feed bag.  I think like many things the resistance will seem insurmountable but will be a dam break event.  Gay marriage was a recent dam break change in political position hipocrisy of many pols.  Global warming acceptance leading to governmental action will be a 900 lb gorilla dam break policy change in the US.  And the driver will be our children and grandchildren as they are making up a bigger part of the electorate than us old farts!

• Like 1

John Ranalletta

I'm out.

Dennis Andress
5 hours ago, Bill_Walker said:

How do you figure that, Dennis?  What do you mean by regression?  

Put the sentence back in the paragraph you took it out of and think about it.

Bill_Walker
32 minutes ago, Dennis Andress said:

Put the sentence back in the paragraph you took it out of and think about it.

Still don't see it, Dennis, because your post doesn't say anything about what you think the proposed solution is and how you think it's "regression".  I have a very strong suspicion that the reality is different from your perception.

Dennis Andress

Marginalize and disregard. 

mickeym3

Since many of us are baby boomers I’d like to put forward a different perspective.  Relative to the climate change debate though I will add a paraphrase from John Muir stating that if man can figure out a way to make a buck at the expense of our environment then he certainly will do it. I rest my case and proceed to my main point. 

We baby boomers are largely in the shadow of the greatest generation.  Simply put, they rescued mankind from an unimaginable darkness. They then rebuilt war torn countries of allies and foes alike and gave us hope and confidence that we could do anything. The family unit and common values served as the foundation for a future of amazing promise. We held Teddy Roosevelt, Billy Graham, Abraham Lincoln, Eleanor Roosevelt, John Wayne and Chuck Yeager in high regard. 

Today there’s a stark contrast. People in their 20’s witness MSM and social media feed on our worse nature, fostering divisiveness to replace unity. A nation that could do anything has been replaced by one that can achieve nothing. The darkness that has always existed is seemingly unchecked around the world, even within our own nation. Thousands of us were lost in a war that had no meaning save to learn our leaders could not be trusted. We say all lives matter while thousands of the unborn are denied everything, even now stating in some states that full term abortion (re: harvesting) is acceptable. The people we elected to serve have become our masters, they currently work to remove the crass interloper who would disrupt their quest for even more power. Today the admired are Steve Jobs, HRC, Kardashians, AOC, etc. With this backdrop people in their 20’s have no great hopes, the realists in their midst can only see a coming revolution.  Recognize there are many secularists on the forum but I find the following pertinent.

Jeremiah 2:5
Thus says the LORD:
“What wrong did your fathers find in me
that they went far from me,
and went after worthlessness, and became worthless?

• Like 1

Joe Frickin' Friday

Now that we are all irrevocably and unanimously agreed about exactly how we should deal with climate change, I'll circle back to the original subject of this thread: What if you were 20-something in today's world?

I'm a regular visitor to cracked.com.  A fair bit of their daily output is a digestion of pop culture in one way or another, but every now and then one of their essayists puts something meaningful out there.  As it happens, this was posted today:

5 Crucial Things To Remember About Our Wretched Hellscape

(I'll give it a PG-13 rating for profanity)

The gist of the essay is that the constant and ubiquitous talk of future apocalypse is at heart a coping mechanism, but it fosters a pessimistic outlook that makes it difficult to plan/act for the future.  

A short excerpt:

...I now know that it's very easy to accidentally create a future version of yourself who's going to make life harder for everyone around you. It's only then that you'll realize that there was never anything admirable about "Who cares, we're all screwed anyway," that it never represented how much you care, but rather how little you want to care about the things you can actually change.

No, you can't singlehandedly save the globe from catastrophe. You can only take responsibility for the small patch of it that you're standing on, a task that is actually so monumentally difficult that you may not manage it even with total devotion of all of your time, attention, and energy. Either way, "We're screwed no matter what" isn't a plan, and if we are in fact doomed to a future of scarce food and fuel and constant social unrest, well, that actually requires a shitload of planning on your part. 

...one way or the other, you're going to find out that "Nothing matters anyway" was always a ridiculous lie, that if your life sucks in the future, it will largely be because the choices you make do matter, they matter a lot, and the tired, overheated brain of your past self just punted on them. You'll look around at a world full of professionals with their kids and cars and vacations and wonder by what magic they made it happen. "They probably got help from their parents!" You mean their parents made hard decisions to plan for their kids' future? And it paid off? Crazy how that works.

No matter what the headlines say, the only logical response is to plan as if the world is going to need you to be a healthy, functioning, heroic adult 50 years from now.

If you have a 20-something person in your life, this might be worthwhile reading for them.

Dennis Andress

Mitch gets an extra slice of raisin pie!

mickeym3

Yep, give them a pep talk and I’m sure they will have a sharpened focus and direction in life.  But will it fend off the cyber bullying or rise of mental health issues, opioid addition, etc.?  The 20 something crowd  need mentoring and encouragement otherwise they will likely succumb to all the negativity that surrounds them.  My earlier post wasn’t pessimistic, simply stating we as a nation are at a crossroads just like our parents in 1940. It was a call that the numerous responsible adults here pitch in to lead them into responsible adulthood. The legacy I intend to leave is to instill the same sense of hope that the greatest generation gave us. It starts with my 10 and 8 year old grandkids and extends to other youth I interact with in church and the community. 

Paul De

Or, as one mentor I respected told my young impressionable self in my late teens after a really bad choice and feeling like the world was coming down on me.   Smarten up, get your head out you butt, and manage your life is a responsible way.  While I know this type of coaching does not work for all and every circumstance, sometimes a kick in the pants is the right kind of support!  From that time on I used those words in my own self talk when I realized I was heading down a stupid dark road!

I fear today our default assumption it that our young adult's psyche are too fragile for some tough love, or to survive the consequences of a bad situation. That they can't handle difficult choices.  I don't see that in many many young folks.  I see many that are smart and better informed and tough minded and able to make very good choices and decisions.  They are better equipt to live a responsible life than I was at that age. They are wanting to take charge of their lives and willing to work hard to get there.  YRMV

Edited by Paul De
touch pad challenged and typo fix'n