IGNORED

Does the '09 rt use the brake servo module?

Shane J.

Hi- always looking for my next bike. I have an '09RT I am going to look at so I am gathering more information. Did they drop the whizzy brake system for the '09 series? Are there any other quirky '09 issues I should look for?

Shane

20 minutes ago, Shane J. said:

Hi- always looking for my next bike. I have an '09RT I am going to look at so I am gathering more information. Did they drop the whizzy brake system for the '09 series? Are there any other quirky '09 issues I should look for?

Shane

Afternoon Shane

The 2009 1200RT has the later I-ABS gen2 brakes & those are not wizzy brakes. The 2009 1200RT still uses a servo motor to activate the rear brake from the front lever though but it acts nothing like the earlier I-ABS wizzy brakes.

The 2009 was probably the best of  the 1200 hexhead series but still could have a few fleas.  

Fuel strip failures are probably the most common, with there also being a brake line recall & rear wheel flange recall.

Some (few) random final drive  bearing failures & an occasional drive shaft failure but overall a pretty decent bike.

There have also been some random ABS failures of the rear servo motor due to a brush sticking (not an easy home repair but I believe that Module Masters is now doing that repair).     

If you are looking for a 1200RT 'hexhead' then the 2009 is probably the best of that litter.

Thank you D.R, good info. It's not so much that I want a hexhead as that it is where my budget lies. What I would really like is a '13 camhead but locally those are still out of my price range. I like my '06 RTP but since replacing the clutch and transmission I always wonder how long it will last this time.

OH Yeah, and from personal experience Lately....The Throttle Body Cams are still made out of Plastic....
I just converted both sides to aluminum aftermarket ones, that BMW frown upon having done!
They would rather a rider replace the whole throttle body at a grand a piece!  each time they crack.
So far, all is good with the new improved metal ones!

new cams.jpg

Shane Also I'm not sure when or iF BMW has ever changed the Engineering of those Throttle Bodies to ensure
better reliability.  Probably D.R. could chime in on this, as he may have knowledge of any advancements
in this area!  Otherwise, on the brake stuff I have much more reliable performance on my 09 compared
to much older bikes.

Well it turned out to be an '07 rather than an '09, just a typo in the ad. I bought it though. It has 65000 on the odometer, single owner, always dealer serviced (at correct intervals) and is immaculate. It looks like a brand new bike. all the recalls on it have been done. I got it for $5000, with dealer fees (it was on consignment), tax and license it came out the door at $5800 even. Now I will clean up my '06 1150, do a service on it and sell it. Rode home the long way after purchasing it and was impressed.

07 r1200rt.jpg

• Like 2

Exactly like mine .

Mine has 100,000 mi though.

Still runs like new.

It looks like you have the chrome exhaust and your header have been neglected.

If you clean them they should return to this:

Headers2.jpg

On 1/31/2019 at 3:23 PM, boxerguy said:

OH Yeah, and from personal experience Lately....The Throttle Body Cams are still made out of Plastic....
I just converted both sides to aluminum aftermarket ones, that BMW frown upon having done!
They would rather a rider replace the whole throttle body at a grand a piece!  each time they crack.
So far, all is good with the new improved metal ones!

What were the symptoms of the cracked cams?

1 hour ago, KDeline said:

Morning KDeline

Cracked TB cams, -- not much of a symptom if just cracks. Maybe a slight TB balance issue (mostly not detectable by the rider).

Broken cams, -- that IS detectable as the bike becomes non ridable & throttle usually goes dead.

About the only way to  find 'cracked' TB cams is by removing the TB covers & inspecting for cracking (see picture).  Now broken cams are easy to find as the bike can't be ridden.

Just keep in mind that cracked cams (even slightly)  usually lead to broken cams eventually.

6wH7W3o.jpg

34 minutes ago, KDeline said:

I had one break, not much warning.  I was out riding and almost home, the throttle started to stick, It would not return unless I turned is back.  I was almost home so I continued.  I took things apart at home to see what was wrong, as I was investigating half of the cam fell on the floor.  AS DR suggested you have to inspect them to find out.

16 hours ago, boxerguy said:

Just Curious Daniel, what are you using to remove the tarnish on the exhaust?

I use Autosol metal polish with a X00 steel wool.

Dann, reason I asked is I've tried everything I had in my arsenal....mother's, Flitz metal polish, etc...etc and couldn't get the
exhaust to change color.  It must be the 00 steel wool that I should have been using with the metal polishers I have....

53 minutes ago, boxerguy said:

I've tried everything I had in my arsenal....mother's, Flitz metal polish, etc...etc and couldn't get the
exhaust to change color.  It must be the 00 steel wool that I should have been using with the metal polishers I have....

Evening Boxerguy

You first need to figure out if you have the base stainless steel headers or the uplevel chrome plated stainless as it can make a difference on how you clean them.   (either look in your bike's order sheet if you can locate one), or you can usually tell by looking at the header color. If it is $hit brown then it is probably plain stainless, if it has some bluing or purple in the mix of crud & gloom then it is probably chrome.

In any case (either chrome or stainless) never use plain steel wool as that will leave little particles of rust forming ferrous metal imbedded in the outer layer of the pipes & that can eventually  lead to pitting rust. You can use stainless-steel steel wool though.   

If your pipes are the base stainless steel & basically just $hit brown without a lot of actual corrosion then there is a product that   can make them shinny again called Wizards 'metal polish for motorcycles', it comes what looks like a BandAid can. It is still a LOT of work but the chemical in the Wizards will eventually remove the brown & expose the shinny pipe plus it sort of passivates the stainless so it  doesn't surface discolor again  quickly. There are number of Wizards metal cleaning products but the only one of the bunch that I have found to work is called  'metal polish for motorcycles' so look carefully at the label (it looks like pink cotton saturated with a chemical).

If you have the chrome pipes then I can't really help you as I haven't had much experience cleaning up real cruddy chrome pipes.

Good Evening D.R.

I think mine are the chromed Stainless headers, but not 100% sure!  They are really not bad at all, with just some blue/purple colors and
some greyish color also...there really is no corrosion yet but I would like to see if I can get them back looking fairly new!

I worked on the muffler today and got it back to showroom condition, even the outside edge at the outlet for exhaust.

I'll take some good pics tomorrow in good light and post them here!  Maybe you'll be able to tell if they are just stainless or chromed.

Oh and by the way, the new improved metal T.B Cams are installed and operating now the last few days...No issues and I just made an acquaintance 
here in my park, a fellow with an 09 RT as well, and made sure he was aware of the potential problems!  He has 59,000mi on his and has already
had a seized driveshaft issue previously.  I told him about the forum and the great info I received, including the link to Beemer bits in Tucson for the Aluminum retrofit cams.

6 hours ago, boxerguy said:

Good Evening D.R.

I think mine are the chromed Stainless headers, but not 100% sure!  They are really not bad at all, with just some blue/purple colors and
some greyish color also...there really is no corrosion yet but I would like to see if I can get them back looking fairly new!

I worked on the muffler today and got it back to showroom condition, even the outside edge at the outlet for exhaust.

I'll take some good pics tomorrow in good light and post them here!  Maybe you'll be able to tell if they are just stainless or chromed.

Oh and by the way, the new improved metal T.B Cams are installed and operating now the last few days...No issues and I just made an acquaintance 
here in my park, a fellow with an 09 RT as well, and made sure he was aware of the potential problems!  He has 59,000mi on his and has already
had a seized driveshaft issue previously.  I told him about the forum and the great info I received, including the link to Beemer bits in Tucson for the Aluminum retrofit cams.

Morning boxerguy

If you have some  blue/purple colors then more than likely they are the chrome over stainless.

Did you end up having your bike shipped to the dealer? If so what did they do or say to you?  

Well, looks like I just have the Stainless Headers!  Here's the result after 2 (two) afternoons of hard work!
I was only able to source out (000) Stainless wool and used a product called Flitz.  It's a product i bought
at the Quartzite Az RV Show a number of years ago.  It's a metal and fibreglass cleaner/polish that seemed
to work very well in concert with lots of elbow grease with the triple 0 steel wool....

I'm quite pleased with the results.  I also use this Flitz cream to shine up my Aluminum Moose Bumper on
My Semi-Tractor!

left header & Flitz.JPEG

left header.JPEG

right header.JPEG

• Like 3
7 hours ago, boxerguy said:

Well, looks like I just have the Stainless Headers!  Here's the result after 2 (two) afternoons of hard work!
I was only able to source out (000) Stainless wool and used a product called Flitz.  It's a product i bought
at the Quartzite Az RV Show a number of years ago.  It's a metal and fibreglass cleaner/polish that seemed
to work very well in concert with lots of elbow grease with the triple 0 steel wool....

I'm quite pleased with the results.  I also use this Flitz cream to shine up my Aluminum Moose Bumper on
My Semi-Tractor!

Morning Boxerguy

That's quite an improvement. Looks good. 

Good Morning D.R.

Yes I'm very pleased with the improvement.  It is a labor of love, though, It's not something that can be rushed
as it took a slow methodical approach of numerous applications of the cleaner and lots and lots of elbow grease!

I'm hoping the shine will last awhile....Although they didn't look real ugly to begin with, I'm pretty sure they were
never done throughout the life of the bike.....40,000 mi

I figure, now that I own this bike I can invest a couple hours each year (or whatever it takes) to keep them looking
this way!  

A Side Note...While I had all the Tupperware off...and I was lying on the ground, I glanced upwards at each throttle body
and looked at each shiny new Aluminum T.B. Cam gleaming back!  A smile, and warm fuzzy feeling overcame me
knowing I'm done with that particular issue for good!

1 hour ago, boxerguy said:

...I'm hoping the shine will last awhile....

The shine can last, but expect the brown color to return quickly. I clean the pipes enough to get the dirt, bugs and tar off, but gave up on eliminating the brown.  If the stainless pipes are the color of chrome, I figure I'm spending too much time polishing and too little time riding.

• Like 1