IGNORED

Replacing rear brake pipe/hose on R1100S

spacewrench

I'm considering replacing the rear brake pipe/hose assembly on my 2000 R1100S with a Galfer braided line, and  I'm wondering whether I can just replace the whole mess with an ordinary dual-banjo line (and/or why I wouldn't want to do that).  I've never worked on a brake system that has the master feeding a straight-out fitting into a solid pipe like this, so not sure whether a banjo's crush washers would seal properly.

RearBrake.jpg.329b534842730a8d9554f9b3f0e56e1c.jpg

Have an 04 1100S and the line in the picture appears to be going up and not back towards the rear wheel, so does the bike have ABS? I replaced the rear rubber brake line with one from Spiegler without problems, but this attaches to the block where the line from the ABS unit goes to the rear wheel. This block is above the rear brake master cylinder. I would not replace the solid steel line if it goes to the ABS unit under the tank.

7 hours ago, spacewrench said:

I'm considering replacing the rear brake pipe/hose assembly on my 2000 R1100S with a Galfer braided line, and  I'm wondering whether I can just replace the whole mess with an ordinary dual-banjo line (and/or why I wouldn't want to do that).  I've never worked on a brake system that has the master feeding a straight-out fitting into a solid pipe like this, so not sure whether a banjo's crush washers would seal properly.

Morning  spacewrench

As 041100S mentioned IF it has ABS then that is a solid metal line running between the rear master cylinder & ABS module up under the fuel tank. You can't just circumvent that & run directly from master to caliper.

As for using a dual-banjo line?--  that might not work as the top surface of the master cylinder is probably not machined for proper ring sealing (it might seal & it might not).

The other thing would be in finding a proper banjo bolt as your current master cylinder has a thread pitch for a line fitting not a standard  banjo thread plus you have the  banjo bolt engagement depth to think about.

I just checked my '03 S (non-ABS) and the entire line is visible as it routes to the rear caliper.  If your disappears forward, you more than likely have ABS.

Frank

Gafler and Speigler lines are meant to replace existing soft lines which have issues.  Hard lines do not have these issues and are not usually made up for the line replacement kits.  I am sure someone can make a line to replace that hard line with the right fittings.  The question is why would you bother to mess with something that will probably never give you any problem ever?    Mike

No ABS on this bike; the hard line just zigzags around a bit, then switches to a (non-braided, stock, 18-year-old rubber) hose up behind the subframe stay.  No particular reason to change (the hose hasn't burst, and rear brakes aren't that important to my riding style) but I've already replaced the front lines, and I find projects like that are helpful for motivation to disassemble, inspect and clean subsystems that otherwise I wouldn't bother until they break.

Galfer also makes fittings that exit straight out into a hose, so I could make a custom line like that (it would just replace the zigzag hard pipe with a loop of braided hose, more or less).  That may be the way to go.

Thanks!

After looking at that pipe more closely, I see why it goes where it does -- the "loop" idea I mentioned would have the loop going around the subframe stay, which would complicate other repair work.  I'm gonna just leave this alone!

People refer to the stock lines as “rubber” but they contain just as much braid as the aftermarket ones, steel, or nylon, plenty strong.  Never have understood the attraction.

2 hours ago, spacewrench said:

After looking at that pipe more closely, I see why it goes where it does -- the "loop" idea I mentioned would have the loop going around the subframe stay, which would complicate other repair work.  I'm gonna just leave this alone!

Evening spacewrench

I know it is working OK now & you don't depend on it but that doesn't preclude potential  problems. It might never give you any problems & keep on ticking like a Timex.

Or it could delaminate inside forming a check valve with the inner liner therefore locking the rear brake on, or partially on, after a hard stop.  

Or it could spring a pinhole leak & spray brake fluid on nice painted surfaces (brake fluid is a great & quick  paint remover). This type of failure could cost you way more than a new brake hose plus you would STILL need a new hose.

You can get a stock  BMW rear (non-ABS) brake hose for under $100.00 & that would probably last you at least another 10-12 years+ & take the worry out of rear brake hose problems.