IGNORED

49L Topcase Disassembly

BNA Pete

I have a 49L factory BMW topcase on my '06 RT.  I want to mount brake/turn/tail lights on the lower half of the case and run the wiring in the space between the outer and inner shells.  I took out every screw I could find and could start to separate the shells, but stopped for fear of inflicting serious damage.

Has anyone done this?  Any tips or tricks?  

Ive had different versions over the years. The latest (2017) was the easiest to disassemble. Earlier ones were like standing on your head with your arms tied using a screwdriver  :classic_blink:

Had a need to fix the latch on a 2013 version and it took forever. And I was on a trip AND it was after a few beers :classic_ohmy: that was interesting.

I don't have instructions sorry but they can be temperamental IMHO.

It can be done but some consider it a very complicated job. I've done it once and refuse to do it again. 

I suggest mount your lights, run the wiring along the left side and tape over the wires with gaffers tape. 

Avoid drilling any holes on the right side , however you can remove the small inspection  plug with a coin and look for linkage and heck maybe run your wires thru there too but the linkage is complicated and fiddly.