IGNORED

Roadsmart III,....re-visited

Rougarou

Ok, I'm on my third set of the rebate heavy Roadsmart IIIs.  My first set, the tires growled in turns, I thought it was the front bearings, shoulda listened to DR as he said it was likely tire related, but I thought it got worse the further the lay,....anyway, the bearing was replaced in the front and the growling continued.  I'm running 42psi on the front tire.  I've varied that down to 38 and up to 46 but the damn tire still growls.  On the one I just put on, the growl is less noticeable, but it's still there.

So my question is this, if you are running the Roadsmart IIIs, do you get a growl when you come off center, if not, what pressure are you running.  I've only got 200 miles on the new front tire, so, not really worn yet.  Additionally, both the previous III's cupped, kinda bad have any had that issue with these.

I got 7800 out of this last tire and as a few know, I run it to the cords,....this last tire didn't break through, but it was mighty close.

8 hours ago, Living the Dream said:

Ok, I'm on my third set of the rebate heavy Roadsmart IIIs.  My first set, the tires growled in turns, I thought it was the front bearings, shoulda listened to DR as he said it was likely tire related, but I thought it got worse the further the lay,....anyway, the bearing was replaced in the front and the growling continued.  I'm running 42psi on the front tire.  I've varied that down to 38 and up to 46 but the damn tire still growls.  On the one I just put on, the growl is less noticeable, but it's still there.

So my question is this, if you are running the Roadsmart IIIs, do you get a growl when you come off center, if not, what pressure are you running.  I've only got 200 miles on the new front tire, so, not really worn yet.  Additionally, both the previous III's cupped, kinda bad have any had that issue with these.

I got 7800 out of this last tire and as a few know, I run it to the cords,....this last tire didn't break through, but it was mighty close.

Morning Living the Dream

I haven't used the Roadsmart III tire myself so what I have to offer is 2nd hand info.  I have a riding friend with a camhead 1200RT & he is on his 2nd set of Roadsmart III tires. He put the first set on due to the 'claimed'  & hyped higher mileage of the Roadsmart III tire.

The Roadsmart III tires didn't seem to give him the longer mileage that some claim they get but they didn't seem to get  less than the tires he replaced so that was about a wash.

He has complained about the front tire noise on both sets when the bike is leaned over (sounds similar to what you are complaining about).

After hearing him complain about the tire noise I was surprised when he put the 2nd set on his bike. I asked 'why' the same tire again when he didn't seem that happy with the first set & said that he really  liked the dry road handling on the first set  (very neutral through the curves) & was real happy with the wet road grip. I guess he liked them enough to put up with the tire noise.

I have ridden his bike a few times  but not as hard as I ride my own bikes so can't comment on the high G handling (to me they felt fine at lower entry speeds & seemed fairly predictable).

Some tires, on some bikes, with some riders just aren't a good match (I'm like that with PR-4 tires)  as I'm not impressed with the   PR-4 handling & early tread wear as I get very early wear-out of that tire & the handling is not that great for the aggressive way I ride.   

If you like the Roadsmart III tire & can live with the tire noise then keep using them. If you don't like the tire noise or other traits then move on to something else that works FOR YOU & your riding style.

• Like 1

I purchased Roadsmart IIIs after many years of having Michelins.  PR2s, PR3s, and  PR4s.  I switched just to have something different. I like the tire,, getting good mileage (8000), but I have noticed the growl in the front tire when you come off center.  One thing I like about these tires is I did not getting cupping in the front tire as I did with all my Michelin's.  I also noticed that the front tire is very hard.  Like it is a "B" rated tire.  I think I am going to try Pirelli tires next.  

I put just over 7000 miles on a set. Had more in them but was going on a trip.....

Best handling set of tires I have had on an RT. One of the longest wearing. MUCH better ride than the GT or A spec tires I have used on this RT.

Two problems. First is that the front tire won't last two rear tires. Not even close. So that puts the cost per mile up there quite a bit. Second is noise. They started out at just over 1500 miles and got worse from there. Not nearly as bad as a set of ME880's when leaned over,  but they also made some noise going straight. I could live with it, but it IS there. Never decided which tire, front or rear, was the source or worst offender. 

I ran 37 psi in the front. Wear pattern pretty good. Any higher and they didn't feel as good leaned over. Rear was 42 psi for probably 4500 miles. Then went to 39 psi and it seemed to actually wear slower at that psi. Other things could effect that, so I am not telling anyone that is the best psi for wear. 

RecentConvert

I've run 2 sets of the RoadSmart 3 on my 2014 RT.  Easily the best handling tires in the dry compared with Metz Roadtec 01, Metz Z8, Bridgestone T31.  Currently running Angel GT front and RS3 rear for another 1000 mile until the RS3 is done.  The rear Angel GT A-spec is in the basement waiting.

I have not experienced the growling with the RS3.  I run 38 psi front and 41 psi rear.  Nice even wear.  Love them in the dry and am cautious in the wet (I am cautious in the wet with all of the tires above).  Mileage is average at 6500 for the rear.

On my bike, the Bridgestone has a slight to moderate growl/rumble just off vertical.  The Roadtec 01 drones when leaned over.  The Z8 cupped and wore out quickly, but was quiet.

My first impression with the new (less than 1000 miles) Pirelli Angel GT A-spec in front is that the front now feels heavy/sluggish.  Granted it is paired with a 75% worn RS3 so it doesn't have the matching rear.  As noted above, that will change soon as the RS3 is nearly done.

I am a former tire guy and love to experiment with new rubber,  I originally bought the RS3 for price, but after comparisons with the other offerings, it is my current favorite.  But there is always a new one to try!  

I had RSIII's on my R12RS for 6500 miles and took them off a little early, probably had another 1000 miles in them.  Handling was great, neutral.  My biggest objection was how they reacted to tar snakes.  Squirmy at all times but frightening in the wet.  The roads I ride are infested with them.  Michelins don't seem to even notice the tar snakes.  I also had grumbling noise with them on coarse surfaces.

Frank

I too am on my third set or roadsmart 3. 14 RT is my ride and for the price i'm not sure i can beat them! i ride heavy loaded and two up most of the time and getting 7-8000 miles on the rear and more on the front with absolutely no cupping! i run 38-42 all the time and pull a bushtec trailer sometimes and have not had a problem with handling at all after getting them scrubbed in,which seems to take a bit longer than all the pr's i've run. there is some noise with the front but nothing to bad. just ordered a shinko raven 009 yesterday to try. 90 dollars shipped to the door and same weight and speed ratings as the rest! we will see how it feels in the next couple of months!

After running PR2, PR3, PR4, PR4 GT and one little set of Bridgestone 023's the last several years, I really like the RSIII's at 4000 miles.  Looking forward to finishing them off this spring.  

As for them being, "rebate heavy," Thanks for the reminder.  I guess I had forgotten that.  My vendor, RockyMtnATV had said they had submitted the rebate, but this thread reminded me that I hadn't ever gotten it.  So far tracking results:  Dunlop says they never got it, RockyMtn is working to resubmit.  Hopefully the matter will be resolved soon.  The money can go to the next set...  

Here's the front that I just pullled last weekend at 7800 miles.  They wear funny.

Anyway, looks like I'll have to deal with the growl when I come off center. 

Still got tread left but with the wet weather we've been having, made the call to pull them.  Summer droughts, these things would go to the cords.

IMG_0455.jpg

IMG_0454.jpg

37 minutes ago, Living the Dream said:

Here's the front that I just pullled last weekend at 7800 miles.  They wear funny.

Still got tread left but with the wet weather we've been having, made the call to pull them.  Summer droughts, these things would go to the cords.

IMG_0455.jpg

IMG_0454.jpg

I hate when that happens.

I've had a set of RS3's on an LC R1200RT, & currently also on a R1200R (pre-LC)

I am very happy with them on all counts, but then to be 100% fair, I was also happy with Conti RA2 & now RA3.

Run them 36F/42R.

I think most modern tyres from the major companies are pretty damn good.

RS3 front tire was the only tire I ever had that was a truly bad tire. It was my third one, first two were okay. That one was probably a fluke but I can’t bring myself to try them again. It wouldn’t provide proper traction. Slipped when new and even after several hundred miles it never gripped the road well when leaned over. Went back to PR3, never any problems before or after.

I've got just over 5000 miles on a set of RS IIIs on my '15 RT.  I can't say that I've noticed any noise when cornering, but I always wear ear plugs and usually have music playing.  Rear tread is still 4/32", front is down to 5/64", but because I was on a trip when I put them on I didn't get a baseline new tread depth.  But that front seems pretty close to done.  The bike had PR4GTs on it when I got it with 8000 on the clock.  Don't know if they were original, replaced or new, but I replaced them at 12,000.  Anyway, I'd been running PR3s and PR4s on my 1150RT for several sets and was happy, but when I needed tires on a trip the dealer didn't have any Michelins.  I'm perfectly happy with the way these Dunlops work, at least in the dry.  I haven't encountered rain since I've had them.  It seems I've usually gotten 5000-8000 miles on a set, but varying in that range.  I usually end up replacing them before they're fully worn out because I'm heading out on a trip and don't want to run out of tire.

• Like 1
On 1/25/2019 at 4:18 PM, Living the Dream said:

IMG_0455.jpg

IMG_0454.jpg

Mine wore the very same way and replacing them at about 8,000 miles with PR4's 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm on my third set of the Roadsmart 3's and have experienced the same strange wear that RTinNC has on the first 2 sets running a 40/42 air pressure after around 6000 miles. I do have the roar others have talked about when the bike is leaned over into curves but I'm usually streaming music so it's really not a big deal to me. I have used PR2's,3's and 4GT's in the past and find the RS3"s to be just as good or better on ride and wet road traction. I got close to 9000 miles on my last set and I hope to get somewhere near the same for the set I'm running right now and that should take me to when the Pilot 5GT's get released this year. I will be trying them on my set.

Having gotten just 8500 miles out or my RoadSmarts I was disappointed in the wear and mileage.  Handling was fine.   I had run PR3's and PR4's on my '06 RT and loved them and got 11.000+ miles on each set.   Hoping to get that kind of wear on my new PR4's on the 2016 RT. 

On 2/10/2019 at 6:36 AM, RTinNC said:

Having gotten just 8500 miles out or my RoadSmarts I was disappointed in the wear and mileage.  Handling was fine.   I had run PR3's and PR4's on my '06 RT and loved them and got 11.000+ miles on each set.   Hoping to get that kind of wear on my new PR4's on the 2016 RT. 

If you're going back to Michelin - fine tyres - I'm curious why you wouldn't go for the Michelin Road 5 ?

On 2/15/2019 at 12:07 PM, Martyn said:

If you're going back to Michelin - fine tyres - I'm curious why you wouldn't go for the Michelin Road 5 ?

Well couple reasons ... 1) they were not readily available when I replaced my tires 2) I've had great experience with the PR4's in the past on my '06 and 3) I got a pretty good price on the 4's and suspect the 5's would cost more. 

• 2 weeks later...

Since Bridgestone now has the $60 rebate, I may opt for three sets of the Battlax t31 gt's.  That'd be three sets of tires for $500,......seems like a nice "cheap" deal,.....I mean frugal.