jimwms

Bye

jimwms

Well, there goes the neighborhood.  I can't recall how many times I've spoken about this Board and the consequences of the 'no politics' policy.  I'm sure that I have ridden with, eaten with, and laughed with people here who don't share my views and it has never mattered.  Thank you, but I'll save my 'thick skin' for listening to how people were sexually abused as children, not opinions on 'current events'.

It seems very unlikely that this won't permeate the board and its activities.  Will we have 'thick skinned' tables at dinner during events?  Will we have special group rides for those who do/don't want to hear that stuff in their headsets?

It has been a wonderful 18 years.  Enjoy.

Whip

Wouldn’t it be easier just to not go here? 

Living the Dream
4 minutes ago, Whip said:

Wouldn’t it be easier just to not go here? 

Makes sense to me,....stay out, don't read, and then you'll never know the political leanings of those you ride with,....quite simple if you try.

• Like 1

chrisolson
1 hour ago, jimwms said:

It seems very unlikely that this won't permeate the board and its activities.  Will we have 'thick skinned' tables at dinner during events?  Will we have special group rides for those who do/don't want to hear that stuff in their headsets?

Actually this will be closely monitored.  The basic MRN attitude for the rest of the board hasn't and will not change.

The others have said ... just don't access this particular forum :5223:

• Like 1

Twisties

Actually, when I joined there were certainly regular vigorous heated discussions on current events and social issues.  They were shut down about 6 years ago, and I thought contributed to the what I saw as a great decline here.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Tri750

It's easier to not say "bye" , to just unplug. 

elkroeger

At some point your skin is so thin, your opinions so important to yourself, that you end up alone, having alienated yourself from much of society.

You guys ever listen to John Prine?

• Like 2

Whip

I like it!

realshelby

On the V Strom forum I hang out on they faced a similar dilemma. The main force on the forum was very much against anything that was politics, religion, social views. That worked really well, just like this site has since I joined. While this site has brought up topics in the past that were borderline, on no other site I know of would they have been as intelligently answered and "tolerated". Part of that, I think, is the overhanging cloud of what everyone knew was the LIMIT. 

Yet there is a section of members that want to wade into the deep water of discussion. Will it gain more than you lose? 

My point in leading up is that they agreed to the Trooper Arena. A heading where you cannot enter unless you have and enter the password. The password is posted. But you have to enter it. For all I know there may be a "safe word" to get you the Hell out of there too!

It works. I have yet to see anywhere that the goings on in the Trooper Arena have spilled onto the rest of the forum. 

Maybe that would make those here that worry about just having a section like that here accept it. Just a thought. I started to just not enter here, but with the history of this board I am curious. If it gets out of hand, I simply won't click to go here. I can do that. But if you have to force entry with a password, you have no complaint about it being here, imo. 

Whip

That is an option we are discussing.

Let's see how it goes.

• Like 1

longjohn

Huh.  I know of one big photo forum where goodbye posts are not allowed.  

1. Goodbye posts (post seeking attention when you are abandoning the forums) are forbidden.
  • Thanks 1

szurszewski
1 hour ago, longjohn said:

Huh.  I know of one big photo forum where goodbye posts are not allowed.  

1. Goodbye posts (post seeking attention when you are abandoning the forums) are forbidden.

I've not seen or heard of such a rule, but I like it. I'm not at all saying that the OP for this thread had that in mind - clearly a long time member/participant here who I believe just wanted to express his thoughts to people he's shared a long time interest with - but I have seen in other places posts by short term members saying "bye" that were clearly just looking for attention. Always thought it was weird to seek attention someplace you claimed to not want to go. 

longjohn
3 hours ago, szurszewski said:

I've not seen or heard of such a rule, but I like it. I'm not at all saying that the OP for this thread had that in mind - clearly a long time member/participant here who I believe just wanted to express his thoughts to people he's shared a long time interest with - but I have seen in other places posts by short term members saying "bye" that were clearly just looking for attention. Always thought it was weird to seek attention someplace you claimed to not want to go. 

I too am conflicted about it, hence my posting it up to get some more opinions.  

TEWKS

As Archie would of put it...It's waddya call one of dem premature evacuations. :grin:  Good luck Jim, sorry to see ya go.

image.jpg

Pat

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

beemerboy

I think I"m going to start an oil thread.:88:  Yea, that'll do it. I'll probably be banned within the hour. 

• Like 1

Living the Dream
1 minute ago, beemerboy said:

I think I"m going to start an oil thread.:88:  Yea, that'll do it. I'll probably be banned within the hour. 

I use Rotella T6 in all my bikes,......thinking about switching to Massage or Castor(not castrol) oil, what do you think?

beemerboy
24 minutes ago, Living the Dream said:

I use Rotella T6 in all my bikes,......thinking about switching to Massage or Castor(not castrol) oil, what do you think?

You just had to do it, didn't you? Now this forum will get shut down for sure. :/

• Haha 2

Living the Dream
6 minutes ago, beemerboy said:

You just had to do it, didn't you? Now this forum will get shut down for sure. :/

Look man, I just want to know, Massage oil or Castor oil,.....which works best for those stroking rods(in the engine):classic_tongue:

• Haha 3

Rider1200RT

Posting a goodbye post is just begging for attention, as you can just stay away from that part you don't like, and thus not get riled up over opinions that don't matter in the real world anyway.

There is a certain section that has a sub section (CSM) for the real heavy political stuff on a well known forum where the pontificators hang out to up their post count with irrelevant opinions and quite simply I stay out of it myself.

Frankly if I want anyone's opinion I will tell them what that is.... :stir: :grin: :grin:

Now oil threads however......:dopeslap:

dirtrider
On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 6:00 PM, Living the Dream said:

I think Castor oil smells great but it makes your eyes burn. I used to run Castor oil in my 2 strokes back in the early 1960's, smoked like hell, stunk even worse, made a thick gooey mess in the combustion chamber  after a while but at that time it was the best thing going for 2 stroke engine life if you rode them REAL HARD.

Then came Klotz & that stuff protected the engine pretty good but ate seals at a frightening rate.

I bet if I looked around in my shop I could still find some Castor bean oil containers with a little still in them but I used most of it up over the years as cutting oil for my lathe.  (when I used the Castor oil as cutting oil  my shop-cat would leave the shop for a couple of hours as he just hated the smoky smell )

• Like 1

MT Wallet
On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 4:57 PM, beemerboy said:

Synthetic or Dino?

mrduck

I buy my oil at Wally World! And I have a KN air filter!

That used to make me  some sort of heathen on the old forum........

So am I still a heathen here?

Don J 🦆

beemerboy
3 hours ago, MT Wallet said:

Synthetic or Dino?

Faaaaaaaaack!!!! Whip, sentence this member to double-secret probation.

Synth.....

Indy Dave
On 1/26/2019 at 1:56 PM, szurszewski said:

I agree in that I don't think it was Jim's intention to create a stir or to grandstand. Jim's a great guy and has 'tenure', and I, like all of you, am sorry to see him leave.

We've all made quick decisions or acted in haste and perhaps on reflection, had second thoughts or a change of heart over a particular issue or decision. While I think the responses here have been mostly measured in regards to Jim's post, I think it's up to all of us to be graceful in any additional comments we might make after such a post - so that, if one does have a change of heart or second thoughts and wants to return, they won't have the additional hurdle of overcoming judgemental posts or have to wade through posts that might only deepen the divide. 

Edited by Indy Dave
  • Like 3

RandyShields

Well said Dave.  I think we would be happy to welcome Jim back if he so chooses, and there would be no hard feelings.

• Like 2

Whip

I promise Jim is welcome back anytime. 

• Like 2

RightSpin

I would hope Jim comes back.  He is as nice of a guy as anyone could know.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Patallaire

Well Jim is entitled to his reaction.  I do think the discussions to date have been civil and really not that controversial, in fact somewhat interesting.  Will it stay that way, who knows, we haven't really plumbed the depths of Gun Control or political favorites yet.  I suspect civility will be the order of the day, although we already know the left coast will differ from the mid-west and east coast!! :5147:Just the nature of the beast!

gordiet

This is fun! Now ...everyone take a deep breath and it will be OK🙃👍

Paul De

Well if you combine which oil works best with what tire, it could be that the server crashes and we all get banned!

tallman

I wonder.

Has anyone ever left, and returned?

Of course.

Has anyone said "good bye" and returned?

Of course.

Has anyone been banned and returned under another name?

Well, back in the day there was Daniel...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Bud

I've made some rash decisions in my life and regretted them.:dopeslap:

Sometimes a forum/organization  just isn't a good fit and it is time to move on.  I've done that as well, with no regrets. 

I think anyone here would be welcomed back, unless their leaving was because they were banned.

Stir
On 1/24/2019 at 5:35 PM, jimwms said:

Well, there goes the neighborhood.  I can't recall how many times I've spoken about this Board and the consequences of the 'no politics' policy.  I'm sure that I have ridden with, eaten with, and laughed with people here who don't share my views and it has never mattered.  Thank you, but I'll save my 'thick skin' for listening to how people were sexually abused as children, not opinions on 'current events'.

It has been a wonderful 18 years.  Enjoy.

The board exists for members to gather and enjoy the company of like minded riders.  The no politics policy of the board earned BMW ST the moniker of MRN, Mr Roger's Neighborhood.  There are plenty of good topics here; that one doesn't need to enter "Full Throttle."  And on the other hand, the participation of BMWST board members in political debates on Facebook pulled member time away from this board.  Even a BMWST group was formed on Facebook so that members didn't need to leave the Facebook plantation.  It pulled me away.  Facebook dominance is not a good thing.  This board has been flexible to member desires.  Post something on Facebook, that Facebook doesn't like, and you are banned.  Your thoughts are monitored and managed by Facebook.  Your data and desires are packaged up and sold to anyone who thinks they can sell a trinket to you.  No thanks.

I ran a political forum on FB and there is definitely an audience for the topic.  Most forums will run 90% noise to 10% gems.  I figured out in late 2003 that the real estate market was going to crash.  I believe it was Whip or David Baker who quoted that a full 56% of the loans in CA were teaser rate loans.  OMG.  Not sustainable.  Having that information means that when Bear Sterns took the hit, I was out of the market.  I never took the 40% hit to my portfolio.  That is real value.  

In those days, if one talked about real estate taking that hit, you were mocked.  Watch the movie, "The Big Short".  I was busy trying to figure out how to profit from the coming crash. Turns out, it was incredibly hard.  I was dating a woman who owned three leveraged rental properties.  They were on teaser rate loans and her plan, just refinance when the rate went up.  I told her, sell one of your properties and increase your cash position.  Her reply, I quote, "Simpson, you are full of shit.  You don't know what the fuck you are talking about". I broke up with her, after waiting for her to deliver on my birthday present,  an Eagle's concert.  I heard that several years later, she was asking about me.  :-)  But I digress.  Discussing hard topics is useful.  As society evolves, one has to pay attention to the environment.  If you don't, you are subject to the whims of that environment.  I prefer these forums.  I find value in them.  And every once in a while, one of you will change my mind about a topic.  

I don't know Jim, but his 165 posts were a mere whisper here.  He benefited from this board by the number of rides he participated in.  It's a puzzler that he felt that other people's opinions out weighed the pleasure of breaking bread with this group of pretty fantastic people.

• Like 1

wbw6cos

Would it not make sense to seek a specific forum on the world wide web that caters to a certain topic?  Then one could frequent that forum to discuss similar ideas.   Bike forum for bikes, with a little something extra, whereas an opinion forum to discuss  _________.  Novel approach, in my opinion.  

Why would you want to discuss topics other than mortorbikes on a motorbike forum, then complain about not being able to do so because the rules were evident when you signed up?

On other forums, I have witnessed departures due to the same reasons.  It is beyond me why folks get their feelings hurt when they cannot ruin a great thread.

Cheers!

• Like 1

TyTass

For my part I'm going to really miss Jim. I think it's unfortunate he has, at least for now, chosen to leave rather than actually see whether the case he fears will actually come to pass; (i.e., the degradation of the fellowship and camaraderie of this community).

Although I haven't been here since the beginning, I've been here since 2007 and have been very active for nearly all those years. What brought me here was the very camaraderie the members of this community (particularly the on-road members) have long experienced and even boasted about. Both have long been the hallmark and differentiator of this site.  

Was that camaraderie solely based on the heretofore "no politics" rule? Certainly not, but it's difficult not to see a connection.  So, if we think Jim left because he's just too thin-skinned, we aren't really paying close enough attention. Is it really ridiculous to think that such degradation could happen?  Of course it isn't. It's happened before; someone loosing it at an event due to things previously posted.

There are warning signs all over the freakin' place. 

I have to ask … why do we really need to find out? 

• Like 2