Bob Palin

Where do Status Updates appear?

Bob Palin

The Create menu lets you post a status update but I can't see where it appears publicly except in Activity - is there more to it? How do I look at somebodies status directly?

Invision says:

"Status updates gives users a personal area to share their thoughts."

chrisolson

Well ... got me on that one ... I don't even know what status updates are :classic_blush:

Bob Palin

I will investigate further, I like the idea and think they probably belong in a person's profile.

Bob Palin

Ah well, it appears to be a subject of general confusion, Status Updates appeared from IPS a long time ago then semi-disappeared, people used a plugin to display them in the profile but that stopped working in version 4. Never mind...

Bob Palin

It doesn't seem like an obvious way to do it but you can see status updates as a stream. Go to Home/Activity and select My Activity Streams/Create New Stream. In that very crowded box you can select Status Updates and save that as a new stream which will appear under My Activity Streams.

Streams look to be a quite powerful way to filter what you see at a particular time.

chrisolson
10 hours ago, Killer said:

Streams look to be a quite powerful way to filter what you see at a particular time.

I think that's an understatement ... 

10 hours ago, Killer said:

In that very crowded box you can select Status Updates and save that as a new stream which will appear under My Activity Streams.

without duplicating that myself ... was there any status update activity ?

Bob Palin
1 minute ago, chrisolson said:

without duplicating that myself ... was there any status update activity ?

Only mine. It doesn't seem like a particularly useful feature if you have to look so hard to find it, I like the idea but not the implementation, can see it would be useful for somebody on a trip to just let people know where they were.

chrisolson

So yes finding where to see a status update is a bit buried and where to create a status update is ...  absolutely not intuitive :classic_blink: ... in your profile page at the top

But once known , yes I think it could be a valuable tool for the purpose you've indicated. There are a lot of options including which members to include in your status stream

Nice detective work ! 

Twisties

Try the blog feature for an ongoing trip with entries.

chrisolson
17 minutes ago, Twisties said:

Try the blog feature for an ongoing trip with entries.

Yes, that's a good use for one as well !

Blogs can be accessed from outside of the site by simply putting the link to it anywhere else. 

Guests have the ability to see Blogs, and while Guests can not post in Forums, they do have the ability to comment on Blogs

Bob Palin

I have started my blog and posted the infamous Ride Of Shame. But a blog is usually a longer format than a status update, I think they do different things.

Bob Palin

I have started my blog and posted the infamous Ride Of Shame. But a blog is usually a longer format than a status update, I think they do different things.

chrisolson
1 hour ago, Killer said:

Yes, of course .... 

I see status updates being a twitter-like feature ... maybe its a good thing getting to them is so hard :14: