Patallaire

Should Helmets be mandatory in all states? Should we abdicate that decision to the government?

Living the Dream
4 hours ago, Red said:

Worked on an ambulance for 10+ years.  Seen many head injuries both cagers and motorcycles.  Seen  several gun shot wounds: shotgun, rifle, and pistol.  I'm pro helmet and pro gun.  I fail to see your logic.

Maybe in my twisted mind I see or compare:  Advocates for something that prevents serious injury (helmet) are also advocates for something that causes serous injury (weapon of your choice). 

Skywagon

A little different twist....I like wearing my helmet :)  It makes me feel like survival rate is higher and injury rate is lower.  I've been down a few times.  When I rode dirt I guarantee it saved my teeth on more than one occasion.I thought the same thing when I played football and baseball in college a thousand years ago.  It also keeps bugs out of my teeth.  It gives me a place to put my really cool stickers....Maybe we could link it to an IQ test.  If you score 140 or more you are required to protect as you are valuable to society....for those less than that Darwin theory is ok? :):)  Now if they could just figure out how to make the 1lb carbon fiber helmet that is comfortable and quiet.....

• Like 2

BarnRat

I wear a helmet.  I always have, even in states that don't require it.  But I don't care what anyone else wears (or doesn't wear)  while riding.  It's none of my business.  Yeah, yeah, the medical bills for idiots that don't wear a helmet come out of all of our pockets, but I don't care about that either.  So, I don't care if there are helmet laws, or not.

BTW, I'm a Scorpio and Scorpios don't care about anything.  :dontknow:

KneeDrachen

Interesting, over in the UK/EU, it is compulsory and there seems to be a lot less hackles raised over the mandated use of helmets.

This June will be 24 years in emergency services as both a basic and advanced life support provider and on both the fire and law enforcement sides.  I have my opinions and will keep them to myself.

But I will tell you this:

Of all the accidents I attended, one sticks out in my mind.  The rider was wearing a fake "skid lid".  Isolated head injury.  His fiancée showed up on the scene.  I have no doubt in my mind had he been wearing a "real" helmet, he'd have had his bell rung.  Sometimes the decisions you make need to be bigger than you, think of your family/friends/loves ones.

That call still haunts me and its been...16?17? years.

BarnRat
6 minutes ago, KneeDrachen said:

. . .  I have my opinions and will keep them to myself.

But I will tell you this: . . .

:19:

• Haha 1

KneeDrachen

Statement of a factual event....with a small dose of observation thrown in for good measure.

• Confused 1

KneeDrachen

You seem to be spending an inordinate amount of time dissecting and reacting to my post.  I thought you didn't care about anything?

• Haha 1

John Ranalletta

People laugh when I tell them every time I saddle up, I stop for a few seconds and say to myself, "I am not going to die today."  Doing that and going lidless are inconsistent but I don't make decisions for other people.

Hosstage
On 3/26/2019 at 1:25 PM, KneeDrachen said:

Interesting, over in the UK/EU, it is compulsory and there seems to be a lot less hackles raised over the mandated use of helmets.

This June will be 24 years in emergency services as both a basic and advanced life support provider and on both the fire and law enforcement sides.  I have my opinions and will keep them to myself.

But I will tell you this:

Of all the accidents I attended, one sticks out in my mind.  The rider was wearing a fake "skid lid".  Isolated head injury.  His fiancée showed up on the scene.  I have no doubt in my mind had he been wearing a "real" helmet, he'd have had his bell rung.  Sometimes the decisions you make need to be bigger than you, think of your family/friends/loves ones.

That call still haunts me and its been...16?17? years.

The EU has had government rule for well over a thousand years, and are used to having their government make "good" decisions for them, for the good of all.

Here in the US we have only had government rule for almost 250 years, and like to think we still have individual rights and still have a voice in our own choices, though that is slowly, sometimes not so slowly, going away as well.

Sometimes I wear a helmet, sometimes I don't. I don't really give a shit if someone else does or doesn't, I'm not the boss of them.

I don't really think that helmetless riders getting hurt is costing me all that much more. If a federal helmet law was passed, where can I expect to see the actual savings? Will my insurance go down? If so, by how much? $1? $10?. Doubtful. I'm not arguing against helmet use, I think it is a very good idea, but I'm not arguing for mandatory use either.

• Like 1

realshelby

If you have a conservative view on things, you will allow that the States should mandate laws in most cases. The Federal gubmint should stay out of most stuff. 

And that is the way it is now. States regulate helmet use. 

They don't enforce actually wearing what their laws have a standard for. As seen by all the fake DOT stickers on helmets. 

But I don't care as I have and would always wear a helmet. Regardless.

Joe Coastie

This discussion has been and will be going on for ages.

The most dangerous thing you can ever do is leave your house and go into the world.

Best to let this die a quiet death.

Skywagon
On 3/26/2019 at 2:14 PM, John Ranalletta said:

People laugh when I tell them every time I saddle up, I stop for a few seconds and say to myself, "I am not going to die today."  Doing that and going lidless are inconsistent but I don't make decisions for other people.

When I get off the bike at home or taxi the plane in, I usually say defied death again....drives the wife crazy wondering why I do things that require me to say that when I'm done.

Paul De
On 11/7/2019 at 2:47 PM, Joe Coastie said:

The most dangerous thing you can ever do is leave your house and go into the world.

Actually it is dangerous to stay home too. In raw numbers the potential cost to society is greater for a serious injury in the bathroom.  Something like 240,000/yr, while serious injury while riding a motorcycle is around 90,000 per year (tough to get same year numbers on this, but I think this is generally true for any given year).  So, to have greater impact to reduce cost to society let's make everyone have health insurance and wear a helmet before they go into the bathroom.    Of course there is sarcasm in my comment, but  my point is that when one makes the cost to society argument there are be bigger bang for the buck places to go get that savings than mandatory helmet laws when riding a motorcycle.   If we put all life activities and behaviors on a Pareto chart where society could gain savings, motorcycle riding without a helmet likely does not make the top 10.  But politically it makes sense to go after this as we are a small voter block with a lingering bias of all being scofflaws promulgated by the movies and TV shows.

I live in a choice state and way more often than not I wear a helmet and all the gear,  but have also ridden without a helmet, and I enjoyed it more than running with scissors as a kid.   Screw the Nanny State, it was my risk to take and yes I have excellent injury and health insurance as well as a signed organ donor designation on my drivers license. TETO

PS

Regardless of being a AGATT or something less rider, we should all have signed donor cards. It is the socially right thing to do.

• Like 2

Rider1260

I do wear a Helmet 99% of the time as it is more comfortable, no watering eyes , bugs down my throat, no wind or sunburn etc. Also wear a jacket and gloves for the same reason.

I do have boots I wear when serious riding , but commuting is often tennis shoes. I used to own some dragon jeans but no longer, regular jeans are my riding pants ( maybe looking for  some ) 

I wear what is comfortable, I don't spend much time thinking safety. If I want to ride around the neighborhood without a helmet or gear I am glad it is my choice. 

To each there own I say.