IGNORED

SENA upgrade

RPG

I've had my SENA SMH10 for about five years now. I couldn't be happier with it's performance.

In pouring rain it's performed flawlessly.

Since technology changes all the time, what would be the logical upgrade in the SENA line? I play music through mine while reading and would enjoy more power/volume over the 10.

Thanks,

RPG

I had gotten a new helmet early last year, and that was the Neotec 2.  Along with that helmet, I bought the SENA SRL which integrates into the Neotec 2.  Performance-wise, the SRL is supposed to be the equivalent of the SENA 20s.  Audio quality is very good, with better speakers than what came with the SMH-10.  When using the SMH-10, I had used a pair of upgraded speakers, Tork XPro, and I can tell you that the sound out of the new SENA speakers are better than the Tork!  So, I would suggest that you look at the 20S, or perhaps the 30S, depending on your application.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, PadG said:

I had gotten a new helmet early last year, and that was the Neotec 2.  Along with that helmet, I bought the SENA SRL which integrates into the Neotec 2.  Performance-wise, the SRL is supposed to be the equivalent of the SENA 20s.  Audio quality is very good, with better speakers than what came with the SMH-10.  When using the SMH-10, I had used a pair of upgraded speakers, Tork XPro, and I can tell you that the sound out of the new SENA speakers are better than the Tork!  So, I would suggest that you look at the 20S, or perhaps the 30S, depending on your application.

Thank You sir, I'll look at those.

I went from the SMH-10 to a 20s EVO.

• BIG improvement in noise reduction when talking bike-to-bike
  • Small increase in practical range
  • More features that can be turned on or off
  • The ability to connect more bikes to a group conversation
  • Longer battery life
3 hours ago, AZgman said:

I went from the SMH-10 to a 20s EVO.

• BIG improvement in noise reduction when talking bike-to-bike
  • Small increase in practical range
  • More features that can be turned on or off
  • The ability to connect more bikes to a group conversation
  • Longer battery life

What he said.

I had my SMH10 since 2010 and while it still works flawlessly, I decided to update it when I wanted to rather than the unexpected dieing out that electronics do.  My battery was still holding several hours of listening time and I honestly have zero complaints about the SMH10, but I did opt to a  20S EVO.

Mine is a 10R. The speakers are supposed to be superior to the previous models. (This is my first Sena so I cannot compare.)

Of course correct positioning of the speakers in the helmet is essential.

I really like the small size. It also has FM radio built in. ( Although I never listen to the radio while I'm riding)

The battery pack fits perfectly in the recessed area of my Shark Evo-One Helmet. 

I also really like the handlebar remote control, although I find some of the buttons too small to use with gloves.

It can connect to other brands of com systems. (But you will lose multiplexing.) 980 yrds range

WebBikeWorld review of the Sena 10s felt that it was a worthy replacement for the SMH10.

If getting the 20s,consider getting the 20s EVO,the earlier 20s seems to have a number of dissatisfied users.

JR356

14 hours ago, JR356 said:

WebBikeWorld review of the Sena 10s felt that it was a worthy replacement for the SMH10.

If getting the 20s,consider getting the 20s EVO,the earlier 20s seems to have a number of dissatisfied users.

JR356

Thanks JR356, The 20s EVO looks like a winner.

On 1/30/2019 at 3:31 PM, JR356 said:

JR356

Does anyone know if: 1) The Sena 20 EVO system can be hooked up/into our Shoei flip up helmets? 2) Can it easily be paired to my 2011 RT Bluetooth system and remain paired? 

Other than the Sena system what else might I need to make the pairing? A dongle of some sort? 

It wasn’t a quick install but I installed a 20evo in my wife’s new neotec2.  I had the Sena on hand for her old helmet when she came home with the new one and I didn’t want to buy the custom version.

• 1 month later...

Be aware that with the Shoei Neotec 2 modular helmet with the SENA SLR unit (made for each other), there is no way to connect earbuds.  The Neotec modular helmet is not the quietest helmet and if you want to hear conversations and protect your ears from wind noise with earbud speakers, there is NO provision (jack) for connecting wired earbud (earplug) speakers.  (My Cardo's have jacks)

Fortunately, there is a workaround by replacing the left helmet speaker with a jack.  The sound system is not stereo so both sides get the same sound.  NO wires to cut.  Everything can be reassembled back to the original.  This also leaves the right side speaker working so that you can still hear if you aren't using the earbuds.

On 2/3/2019 at 6:50 PM, Lester V said:

Does anyone know if: 1) The Sena 20 EVO system can be hooked up/into our Shoei flip up helmets? 2) Can it easily be paired to my 2011 RT Bluetooth system and remain paired? 

Other than the Sena system what else might I need to make the pairing? A dongle of some sort? 

Yes ... I rode with a buddy in Canada last summer and he had a Neotec with the Sena 20 mounted outside the helmet just like my 10s and it worked like a champ.  My experience has been the clamp on Sena models (10s and 20) seen to perform better than the built in units in either the Shubeth or Shoei. flip up helmets.  When I say "perform better" I am referring to other riders being able to hear you clearly. 

Sena 10S

I would of thought this was simple because I'm leaving the bike out of this one. I want to pair my phone to the Sena so I can listen to Pandora but I also want my GPS (Nav IV) hooked in to the Sena to get directional prompts. It seems the Sena will only pair with one Bluetooth system at a time. :dontknow:

Any luck on doing this?

8 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Sena 10S

I would of thought this was simple because I'm leaving the bike out of this one. I want to pair my phone to the Sena so I can listen to Pandora but I also want my GPS (Nav IV) hooked in to the Sena to get directional prompts. It seems the Sena will only pair with one Bluetooth system at a time. :dontknow:

Any luck on doing this?

The 10S manual says it will pair to one device using the A2DP (stereo) profile and to another device using the HFP (mono) profile.  Have you tried the pairing instructions in section "5.3 Advanced Selective Pairing - A2DP Stereo or Handsfree"?  I think you may be able to use A2DP for the phone (and Pandora) and HFP for Nav IV directions.  The Nav IV Media Player will be unavailable with the HFP connection.   If your bike has the BMW audio system/GPS mount this will not work without disabling the CANBUS connections on pins 5 and 6.

EDIT: The above looked right to me because that is the way my SMH-10 works. Looking further at the 10S manual, sections 5.1 & 5.2, it looks like the 10S actually supports two A2DP connections, which is exactly what you need. Just pair the Nav IV as a second phone.

• Like 1

Thanks Larry, I did head in that second phone direction but couldn't get it to work. Maybe I should unpair everything and start over.

Bluetooth pairing often requires a certain amount of voodoo rites.  Unpairing everything is a good first step.  It also helps to turn off every Bluetooth device in range except the two devices you wish to pair. So turn off the phone while pairing the GPS, and turn off the GPS while pairing the phone.

• Like 1

Tewks...my sena is paired using the RKA-Luggage video.  All works.  Pandora....I start Pandora on my iPhone and then using mode button on the left side panel I change to ipod selection.  I still get GPS directions out of the NavV while listening to Pandora

• Like 1

Still working on it but it's kicking my arse. I get one paired, good :yes: then I get the second device paired, great :yes::yes: but the first device is then no longer paired.  If that makes any sense.:ohboy:

Think I need to step away and try again at a later time.

1 hour ago, TEWKS said:

Think I need to step away and try again at a later time.

That's another helpful technique.

You are using the procedure for "Second Mobile Phone Pairing", right.? It's different than the first pairing.

• Like 1

I'm all spun around at this time. The last attempt was to pair the GPS first and then I tried "second mobile phone pairing" for the phone.

Tewks...what would be great is if you wrote it up and posted here for all of us who are going to forget how to do it next time we have to do a reset...I remember the first three steps 1. Cross your fingers. 2. get eye of newt 3. throw temper tantrum....but the rest I know I will forget in time.

• Thanks 1

Maybe someone here can answer this about my SMH10.  Sena didn't have an answer other than saying the problem is my bike.  2016 RT.  My SENA only connects to the bike (ie Radio)  if the SENA is turned on before the bike is started.  When the bike starts the SENA works fine.  However, if i start the bike first the SENA will not connect.  

Any thoughts?

John

14 hours ago, simskid said:

Maybe someone here can answer this about my SMH10.  Sena didn't have an answer other than saying the problem is my bike.  2016 RT.  My SENA only connects to the bike (ie Radio)  if the SENA is turned on before the bike is started.  When the bike starts the SENA works fine.  However, if i start the bike first the SENA will not connect.  

Any thoughts?

John

They all do that!!!!  :)

Seriously though, yes, what you are finding is exactly what I had found when I had the SMH10.  IT had to be turned on before the RT, otherwise the RT can't seem to find the SENA and pairing would fail.  This was true with my prior '07 hexhead RT as well as the present '15 wethead RT.

I should also add that, with the newer generation SENA (I am using the SRL at present), you can turn the SENA on at any time, before or after the RT, and everything will pair up quite fine.  So, don't blame the radio for the difficulties on pairing with the SMH10!

Bill_Walker
4 hours ago, PadG said:

I should also add that, with the newer generation SENA (I am using the SRL at present), you can turn the SENA on at any time, before or after the RT, and everything will pair up quite fine.  So, don't blame the radio for the difficulties on pairing with the SMH10!

That's true most of the time with my 20S, but every now and then it fails to pair with my SM10 (to which my V1 and bike audio are connected) and I have to cycle power to get it to connect.  It never fails to pair automatically with my Nav VI, oddly enough.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/5/2019 at 2:25 PM, Bill_Walker said:

That's true most of the time with my 20S, but every now and then it fails to pair with my SM10 (to which my V1 and bike audio are connected) and I have to cycle power to get it to connect.  It never fails to pair automatically with my Nav VI, oddly enough.

I get the same thing sometimes. I just reach up and turn the SM-10 off and then back on. This normally fixes the problem.

• Like 1

This issue is more related to the older technology products and their oddities!  I hope that you realize, Bill & Bernie, that the SM10 is the same technology as the SMH10, and that's probably why the connection issues.