IGNORED

New Anakee Adventure Tires on a R1200GS?

twilmotte

I need new tires soon and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with the new Michelin Anakee Adventure tires.  They're a little more expensive than most of the other similar "mostly road and some off road" tires out there on the market.  And they're so new, I can find any user reviews yet.

They will be hard to beat the TK70s, but I've always liked Michelin products.  Definitely like the tread pattern.  I will definitely be asking my parts guy about feedback he receives before I make my next tire decision.

• Like 1

Oh, and fantastic video.  Thanks.  Pretty scary drop offs when he was cruising along the ridge. Good endorsement for this tire.

• 4 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, Foot said:

I would like to try them to see if my bike could break the elusive 5K mileage on the back.

Foot, your right wrist can achieve that elusive 5K goal.  I'm just say'n.  :classic_laugh:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Rider1200RT

Well I have about 1000 miles on them and like them enough that I would buy them again for the type of riding I do down here. They are a little noisy but what tires aren't given that profile.

They do rumble in the turns a bit, but since I have none to speak of in S. FL :classic_unsure: that is not an issue either.... Grip is good both wet and dry and they do well on gravel hardpack we have on the levees.

I don't think that they would do well in mud and deep sand but I have not ridden in those conditions yet nor do I plan to with the 'Beast'.

It is too soon to speak about tire life but if they last longer than my previous tires, Bridgestone A41's (8500 miles), I'll be a happy camper.

• 2 months later...

Well I have 2.5K on them. I think they are great road tires and good for hard pack. My initial observations is they seemed to skimp on the tread depth. The front and rear are 1mm less that the TK-70 at the start. The front tire has not scalloped at all, the down fall of the TK-70's for me. I have 2mm of tread left  on the rear to the wear bar. So these will have to come off for the UN. I don't like start a trip I don't think the tires can finish.

• 4 weeks later...

I bought the Anakee Adventure tires in February and have put about 2,000 (almost all paved) miles on them.  I do not find them to be noisy.  I have not seen any cupping or scalloping on the front tire like the TKC70 I replaced.  The traction on wet pavement seems to be fine to me, but I never ride aggressively on wet pavement.  I would agree the tread depth when new is less than some other new tires, but if they wear well enough to give me 7,000 miles, I'll be happy.  I got a very good price on them from Bike Bandit.  So far, very pleased with the cost and performance of the tires.

• 7 months later...

A bit of a revival of this thread but I just replaced the Michelin Anakee Adv tires with Dunlop Mission Trailmax tires.

I could easily have gotten 9K out of this set but with 8K miles, the front tire noise was just getting too loud for me even with good earplugs!

I'll see this weekend how the Dunlops are....:bike:

• Like 1
Rider1200RT

Well, I rode about 500 miles on the new Trailmax tires and like them so far. There is a slight whine but it is far less than the Michelins and even without earplugs not bad. I wear earplugs 99% of the time and have a Schuberth C4 in case the flaming starts.....:rofl:

The grip is great in the turns and turn-in is on par with any other tire I have had on my GS. Nothing to report on wet grip as I haven't ridden in any rain yet.

Don't know about dirt yet either, but it should be better that the Anakee Adv tires and they were good on the hard-pack gravel I ride down here. 

Hope it helps a bit.

• Like 1

65xx miles, all on the same roads the same routes which is half secondary/tertiary roads and half interstate, all central NC.IMG_1004.thumb.jpg.e64b29c951471b612f428a3d8b71eeb7.jpg

Front:

IMG_0997.thumb.jpg.409f7e1467f4f10db786761edf51e789.jpgIMG_0998.thumb.jpg.2b8a65a6a89899a064fc485bea45c6be.jpg

IMG_0999.thumb.jpg.2f6f808f995c37e57b432faadc2a31f2.jpg

Rear:

IMG_1001.thumb.jpg.73e43e1bc3492a37a410d1fc57c4a220.jpg

IMG_1002.thumb.jpg.d9f7334d8ba180809126196f543bc4e5.jpg

Here, you can see it's just breached the wear bar

image.thumb.png.6a1e4502b202c58b330736de5fe0737c.png

I figure the backend has, if I push it, 1k left.,......no white stripes yet, so plenty of rubber.

Anyway, I like these.  Unfortunately, with the low suspension, I can only lean it so far, I'm wearing the sides of my boots out.  They hold and I've yet to feel any slipping on pavement.  Eventually, I'll do like all GS riders and hit a heavily compacted gravel road ;)

IMG_1003.jpg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Rougarou said:

Eventually, I'll do like all GS riders and hit a heavily compacted gravel road ;)

Hmm, wouldn’t let me out of the quote box. :dontknow:

Anyway, that’s some serious shit you’re talking about right there. ;) Dirty up the bike, and grab yourself a latte first. Plenty of adventure in that alone. :D

8npWA4u0Q83DCpuHcd8Lu2kYmF7NAeu6Qt-AyKg0

Impressive mileage for the short time you've owned the bike! :thumbsup:

26 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

Hmm, wouldn’t let me out of the quote box. :dontknow:

Anyway, that’s some serious shit you’re talking about right there. ;) Dirty up the bike, and grab yourself a latte first. Plenty of adventure in that alone. :D

Just milk,?  Now, if you throw some coffee in my latte, I might just like it,;)........I'd also add ten raw sugars to the Grande,....just to make sure it's sweet enough. 

Dirty up the bike,....in time, then it may not get washed (see sig), I'll have to wait for a rain storm to clean it off.

Impressive mileage for the short time you've owned the bike! :thumbsup:

Near daily 100 mile commutes.

• Like 1

Just ordered another set, for when the white lines appear.

image.thumb.png.50d42fb5968d9f203df9ac853b141397.pngimage.png.db6c95e42d81377eb73f8dfb2b5befd4.png

Now, I shall wait for my $50 gift card 

I guess before I try to make a funny, I should research the material. :classic_blush: A latte something sounds like a foofoo drink to me, which contrasts greatly with the rough and tumble image of the typical GS rider. :grin:

4 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

I guess before I try to make a funny, I should research the material. :classic_blush: A latte something sounds like a foofoo drink to me, which contrasts greatly with the rough and tumble image of the typical GS rider. :grin:

Nah, you made a funny, but 'merica doesn't know the translation of the word,,.......go to Italy and order just a "latte",........hope you got some cookies.

• Haha 1
  • 2 months later...