IGNORED

Post Numbering

TestPilot

I noticed that, in the new forums, individual posts are not numbered.  This makes it impossible to direct someone to a particular post within a thread.  Can this be corrected soon?

The post numbers were pretty useful. Just experimenting, but the post date or time seems to serve the same purpose. A right click on the date is how I came up with this link to a post you made about throttle bodies: https://www.bmwsporttouring.com/topic/89682-throttle-bodies-control-box/?do=findComment&comment=1010276

It seems the posts still have numbers, they are just hidden by the date.

Chris,

Thanks for the information.  The published procedure works, but the menu available when right-clicking the link may be browser-dependent.  On my Mac with Firefox I actually get a menu item that reads Bookmark This Link.

5 minutes ago, TestPilot said:

On my Mac with Firefox I actually get a menu item that reads Bookmark This Link.

That's even better ... yes FAQ  stuff was Chrome on IMac.  Glad that solved the problem !

I use Chrome with AdBlock Plus on a PC. There was no "Share" icon displayed until I disabled AdBlock Plus for this site.  The link generated by Share is the same one I get if I right-click on the posted time.

image.png.ca2cc60e74117c9d04821b4ce5282f28.png

8 minutes ago, lkraus said:

There was no "Share" icon displayed until I disabled AdBlock Plus for this site. 

That''s good to know if someone reports that the icon is missing and doesn't make the connection  ... there is a simple explanation / fix .

The dim gray share icon in the upper right corner of each post would seem to provide the URL for that post.  On edit, no, it only provides a link to the topic, not to an individual post in the topic.

2 hours ago, Bill_Walker said:

The dim gray share icon in the upper right corner of each post would seem to provide the URL for that post.  On edit, no, it only provides a link to the topic, not to an individual post in the topic.

Well, sorta.  If you put the link in a post like this,  yes you get the visual link below ... clicking on "Post Numbering" does take you to the topic.  but notice that your actual individual post reply is also shown.  Also if you put the URL into a new tab , you get taken directly to your post, not the topic.

So the behavior is  .... different .....  but does provide a direct link 

• Like 1