IGNORED

I'm pretty sure this GSA color is a wee bit ugly..

TEWKS

2019-bmw-r-1250-gs-adventure-first-look-

I like it. Hey, you asked : )  One, it's different, I'm kind of tired of the primary bike colors, red, silver, blue, and black. BTW black is what manufacturers usually use at the end of a model run because they know a sizable group cant resist it even tho there's a new model on the horizon. Although sometimes it's used in the middle of a (long) run to rejuvenate sales, i'e. ST1300 (at least twice). Two it's sophisticated and though I'm certainly not, it reflects expensive tastes and no doubt it is EXPENSIVE!  Last, (at least to me) it's a bigass dirtbike and will look right at home in the woods or most any earthy environment. And probably Starbucks. :grin: 

But then I used to like black, white, and red German Sports cars and over time grew to love these two because of the unusual colors, copper metallic brown and oak green metallic (stock photos but same cars), so your mileage could easily vary : ) 

ca0816-244246_3@2x.jpg?1471382751000

3528304695_8594d6afa9_z.jpg?zz=1

Suppose if it had to be black, the GS Exclusive with the "special equipment bundle" from BMW might not be a bad way to go. :dontknow: Something about that ADV model though, tugs on the right strings if ya know what I mean. :grin:

Pat

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

1 hour ago, TEWKS said:

Good points, Bill!  Now that Oak Green Metallic would be an awesome GSA color me thinks. :thumbsup:

Pat

I think you're right, it would probably look great. FWIW I've noticed Germans prefer green (almost any shade) the same way Americans like red and black on their vehicles. 

When I was surfing Pcar photos came across this, it looks like they revived oak met. for the new GT3. I sure as heck didn't need to see this : )

oak-green-metallic-2018-porsche-911-gt2-

18 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Opinions matter so what's your thought?  :dontknow:

Pat

Afternoon Pat

You kind of get what you paid for when asking for  opinions but in this case even I am not sure about my own opinion.

I just don't know about this bike,  I don't seem to have any one dislike but something on the colors/graphics package/ frame color just doesn't work for me.  I just don't like the looks of this particular package on the new GS. (maybe it looks better in the sun, or after a few beers, or with some mud on it!).    

• Like 1
1 hour ago, dirtrider said:

(maybe it looks better in the sun, or after a few beers, or with some mud on it!).    

Now that sounds like a party right there!:yes:

Thanks guys! I have a doable deal in the works but this color just has me confused! :grin:

Pat 

I've been wanting a GSA for some time now, but for reasons unknown, it feels forced at the moment. Believe me, I know there are much bigger problems in the world but hey, we talk motorcycles here. :grin: And Pcars! :thumbsup: Oh, so glad that addiction it just out of reach...;)

Thanks for listening!

Pat

1 hour ago, TEWKS said:

I've been wanting a GSA for some time now, but for reasons unknown, it feels forced at the moment. Believe me, I know there are much bigger problems in the world but hey, we talk motorcycles here. :grin: And Pcars! :thumbsup: Oh, so glad that addiction it just out of reach...;)

Thanks for listening!

Pat

Morning Pat

If you really like the bike other than the paint scheme then  that flat goldish/brown base color would probably make a nice base coat for a painter to work from. Just doing something with that out-of-place looking gray background  side panel would probably make a world of difference.

A few years ago I was looking at an flat olive green 800GS (it looked pretty ugly as it came from the factory), I was thinking of using the flat olive green as a background for a digital camo look.  While I was thinking/researching a paint option I found a bike in a factory  color with complimenting frame color so went that route but I have always wondered if  I could have turned that flat olive green into a one-of-a-kind pleaser.

The other thing is,  I have never really liked a flat vehicle paint as flat paint is about impossible to buff out, or wet-sand, or (do anything with)  without making a shinny spot at the repair area without re-clear coating the area.  

• Like 1

Thanks DR, yeah that did cross my mind about clear coating over the flat finish. I don't know enough about paint finishes, I wonder would it be just a gold-ish green gloss paint. Or does the flat paint have a texture to it that would make it look funky when cleared? :dontknow:

Pat

38 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

Thanks DR, yeah that did cross my mind about clear coating over the flat finish. I don't know enough about paint finishes, I wonder would it be just a gold-ish green gloss paint. Or does the flat paint have a texture to it that would make it look funky when cleared? :dontknow:

Pat

Afternoon Pat

Most current automotive base coat/ clear coat paints use a fairly flat base coat & don't get their glossy look until the gloss clear coat(s) are put on.

I'm not sure what BMW now uses for that flat look but I can't believe that they don't at least  use some sort of flat clear coat to protect it as plain flat paint is darn near impossible to keep looking even & not get shinny places from just rubbing things like riding clothes or washing towels on it. Waxing a plain (unprotected) flat paint is basically a death blow for it's appearance so I have to believe that it is somehow protected with some sort of a flat overcoating. 

Might be worth discussing with both a BMW dealer & possibly a painter before making any kind of decision.  

• Thanks 1

I must say, Pat, that colour would not be my first choice.  For whatever reason, I find the new 1250 GS colours more appealing than the GSA colours.  That said, colour is so subjective, that it's really only your opinion that matters.  My 2015 GSA is olive matte, which I like, but I'm sure other people might not.

• Like 1

Mark, agree that the regular GS paint selections are more attractive than the GSA's. Especially the GS Exclusive's black, with grey & yellow graphics. :14: If that paint scheme was on the Adventure model, talk time would be over. :grin: How has your paint held up on your ADV? Yours is flat, not gloss I believe.

Pat

3 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Mark, agree that the regular GS paint selections are more attractive than the GSA's. Especially the GS Exclusive's black, with grey & yellow graphics. :14: If that paint scheme was on the Adventure model, talk time would be over. :grin: How has your paint held up on your ADV? Yours is flat, not gloss I believe.

Pat

My paint is matte, and it has held up quite well.  I've got 33,000 miles on the bike, and have had it for just over three years.  All I do is wash it with a bucket of car soap, and rinse it off with a hose.

Some colors look better in the flesh than in photographs. I'm sure we all experienced that at some point in time. It is all in the eye of the beholder I guess.

7 hours ago, scout6 said:

Love me some olive drab.

I checked the options list. Sorry, no machine gun mounts. :grin:

Pat

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, marcopolo said:

I sense trouble, of the good kind.

I think you're on to it Mark, as you can see, she's listing to the right! :grin:

image.jpg

Pat

2 hours ago, TEWKS said:

It's looking better & better to me. :cool: Fatal Attraction? :dontknow: Check out the tucked collar. :facepalm:  :grin:

Pat

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I figured it would grow on you. 

42 minutes ago, roadscholar said:

I figured it would grow on you. 

Yeah, kinda like a big fat Tick...:rofl: 

It's actually a practical decision. :5147: I'm making two bikes into one, where one of them was sitting most of the time losing value everyday.  Now I've just got to pull the trigger. :classic_wacko:

Pat

• 5 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, Rider1200RT said:

So did it follow you home??:rofl:

Oscar believe me, you'd have pictures if it happened. Something's holding me back so I guess I'll listen this time. :4331:

• Like 1
On 2/26/2019 at 11:59 AM, TEWKS said:

Oscar believe me, you'd have pictures if it happened. Something's holding me back so I guess I'll listen this time. :4331:

I see, conversations with your inner self... Let the devil in you win this time... LOL! :stir:

• Like 1

I saw that color at my local dealer and must say I do like it as it is different from the usual color schemes. That bike disappeared rather quickly from the showroom floor too..

• Like 1

Max said they have two but as March rolls in, they'll disappear pretty quickly too. If that devil works a little overtime, I'm sure they will make more. :grin:

• Like 1